Help a newbie proofread their order...

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I was trying to go with a local reseller, but the one that was recommended in these forums seems to be a one-man shop and isn't in the office. I might still go with them, but figured I'd go ahead and see what I could cobble together at the dish web site.

So, this is what I came up with:

---------------------------

Monthly Fees:
TurbhoHD Bronze $25.39
Minneapolis, MN DMA Package $5.00
DVR Service Fee $4.60
Additional Programming (Platinum HD) $10.00

TOTAL MONTHLY: $44.99

CREDITS AND FEES
$50 credit on 1st Bill -$50
Cinemax for a penny $.01
Upgrade Charge $50
Activation fee $99

Amount Due TODAY: $149

---------------------------

The $25 HD package sounded great, but all the sudden I'm paying $45 a month plus $150 to start. THEY ALWAYS GET YOU! ;0)

Any thoughts on the above? It sounds like the $50 upgrade is to get the 722 box, which is the one people recommend, right? We'd be using it on one HD TV and one non-HD TV.

I'm not convinced I really need a DVR. Is that something that's easy to upgrade to later, or is that something we should just go with now to save the pain of an upgrade later?

I was also planning on skipping the commitment, but I did notice they mention it comes with some other things:

• Priority technical support
  • In-home service
  • Replacement equipment
  • Free DishMOVERS program
If we don't go with that, does that mean we basically don't get decent support and if the box goes bad, then what? Do we have to pay for a new one?

Hope your not refering to me since I got several employees in my office to take phone calls...

You got $34.99/mo for Dish HD Bronze with DVR advantage, $10 for HD Platinum which is $44.99/mo

Upfront money depending on the number of Televisions should be as follows...

$0 - VIP 612
$50 - VIP 722

As far as the no committment option, I feel your just pre-paying a $99 cancellation penalty. Do the contract and its a $240 cancellation fee pro-rated out for $10 for each months remaining in the committment...

Look at it this way, a $240 cancellation fee. You pay $99 today, so your really saving $149 if you cancelled in the 1st month...

Now what your not getting by doing no committment is the following...

A) No HBO/Starz free for 3 months ($60 Value)
B) No Dish Home Protection Plan free for 9 months ($53.82 Value)

If your getting service from Dishstore, your going to see the rebate reduced coming back to you from $50 to $25.

Thanks, Claude.

So, how does dishstore operate? If I order through there, who actually installs it? Do they have local folks everywhere?

I certainly didn't mean to knock the local person here. Like I said, I might still go through them. I just wanted to figure out what I'd actually end up ordering.

In your opinion, how important is that protection plan?

FInally, the cancellation fee. If I understand you correctly, if I cancel after, say, one year, I pay $10 * 12 months remaining = $120?

That would make the up-front savings more palatable if it's not a flat $240 no matter when I cancel.

My two cents.

Yes. You need a DVR. There's just not that much great HD programming out there yet, and you'll want to pick and choose, and watch it on YOUR schedule.

My two cents.

Yes. You need a DVR. There's just not that much great HD programming out there yet, and you'll want to pick and choose, and watch it on YOUR schedule.

:up +1 for the DVR. Yes it's an easy upgrade later, but you'll pay more for it. Get it now and I can pretty near guarantee that in a month or so you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

:up +1 for the DVR. Yes it's an easy upgrade later, but you'll pay more for it. Get it now and I can pretty near guarantee that in a month or so you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.
Only took me twenty minutes.:D

Thanks, Claude.

So, how does dishstore operate? If I order through there, who actually installs it? Do they have local folks everywhere?

I certainly didn't mean to knock the local person here. Like I said, I might still go through them. I just wanted to figure out what I'd actually end up ordering.

In your opinion, how important is that protection plan?

FInally, the cancellation fee. If I understand you correctly, if I cancel after, say, one year, I pay $10 * 12 months remaining = $120?

That would make the up-front savings more palatable if it's not a flat $240 no matter when I cancel.
It is not a flat fee. It is pro rated. It used to be 13.33 per month left on contract. If it is now 10, that is even better. I would get the free installation and take the contract.(plus like claude said you get free movie channels for 3 mons plus protection free for 9) Also i wouldnt get the protection after the free 9 months, from what i have read on here, if you have a problem you can call and get the protection back, then call back 30 mins later and say you have the protection plan and tell them you have a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)