help about WD harddrive

BK94541

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
San Francisco
Is kinda long question but have to explain it anyway..
I usually buy (my book WD/750GB triple play/SATA/FIREWIRE/USB for years ... But these days i bought one ,when I connect it to my vip722..I have to leave the vip722 always on, to let external hard drive record. When receiver turns off, after few minutes external stop recording !. So I have to turn the TV on and receiver to media then select to record again then start. after while vip722 turn off automatically if u leavs it on .. But I never had this problem before its same model external hard drives i always buyl! Any thing I can do to goes the way it was?

Last edited:
Is kinda long question but have to explain it anyway..
I usually buy (my book WD/750GB triple play/SATA/FIREWIRE/USB for years ... But these days i bought one ,when I connect it to my vip722..I have to leave the vip722 always on, to let external hard drive record. When receiver turns off, after few minutes external stop recording !. So I have to turn the TV on and receiver to media then select to record again then start. after while vip722 turn off automatically if u leavs it on .. But I never had this problem before its same model external hard drives i always buyl! Any thing I can do to goes the way it was?

You don't record directly to the external harddrive. It sounds to me like you are trying to do that, or you've gotten confused on how it's supposed to work.

You record to the internal drive first, and then manually SEND it in a file-transfer to your external drive. You can start that, then exit to the screen-saver, and it'll still continue to transfer until finished. The usb ports stay live the whole time. Your external drive should also have a separate power supply to power it.

I use a WD Mybook 500g, that has a sleep mode, and it works flawlessly. It goes to sleep, and when I access it to watch something on it, or to SEND something to it, it wakes up automatically in about 10-15 seconds. Perhaps yours has a sleep or idle mode the receiver can't wake it from, and you have to run a utility software from WD to turn it off permanently?

Thanks primestar31.
See I wanna transfer the stuffs I recorded in my DVR to external harddrive so of course I turn my TV & reciver on and go to media then select what I wanna send to external then start transfer recording no problem there!..But when my receiver (vip722 ) turn off ! Then external after 5 minutes stop recording. ( u know the light goes up and down just stopped recording) Only records when the receiver is “on ONLY”. But like year ago I bought the same old external hard drive and brand and GB/model, never had this problem like this. Looks like the newer external hard drive they making now is same but,.Turn OFF when receiver goes off…not really off tho ,the light is on exernal hard drive is on ,just stopped recording tho!
P.S
No software installed, just plug to receiver , format then record

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)