Help aiming a portable Dish 500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sprintcarcrazy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
I upgraded my portable dish for my RV to a dish 500, had always used a Dish 300 before and just hit 119. This weekend I tried aiming the 500 DP twin. I set the elev to the proper level and then the skew was set to 90 and I put foil over the 110 eye and started off trying to dial in 119, but didn't have any luck, so I uncovered the 110 lnb and changed the skew to 115, and ended up hitting 119 and 129, which was okay as I actually have to small HDTV's in the RV, but there has to be an easier way.

I did notice it showed to point the Dish 300 at 215 and the 500 at 209 for the same zip which seemed wierd.

You can set the elevation and skew to anything you want, even to where its supposed to be according to user manual or signal strength screen and you will still have a hard time getting a signal in if you are not experienced with it unless you have a signal meter or make for definite sure that the mast / pole is plumb. If the mast / pole is not plumb then your elevation and skew numbers will NOT be true. They make a mast leveler that helps you level the mast / pole.

The tripod has a bubble level on it, I don't thing being level is the issue. Should I leave the skew at 90 and try to get 119, then adjust the skew for 110, or what would be the best. Any idea's on Satellite meters ?

Last edited:
I went through this last week while camping at the lake. I didn't have a spare Dish 500 so I used my old 300. I could find 110, 148, but not 119. After sweeping the sky between the two, I finally found the 119. I do remember the elevation was a few degrees different than what the receiver reported. If you are using the Winegard tripod, the mast may not be plumb even though the bubble level reads level.

I got the satellite meter from Camping World for $30 or so. I don't know how useful it was. It helped, but the best way was the setup screen. I set it to 119 transponder 5 (spot beam in my area) and was able to get the 119 satellite located eventually. From there I was able to make little adjustments to fine tune.

I'm considering the semi-automatic dome from Camping World. Still requires setup, but at least it self levels and store the two locations.

sprintcarcrazy said:
The tripod has a bubble level on it, I don't thing being level is the issue. Should I leave the skew at 90 and try to get 119, then adjust the skew for 110, or what would be the best. Any idea's on Satellite meters ?
Any reason the numbers the receiver tells you won't work?

Just put in the local zipcode.

and NO, to answer your question... do not leave the skew at 90, line up 119, and then adjust it...
enter your zipcode, set the dish elevation and skew at whatever the receiver tells you, and start from there. THen you should just be able to slightly adjust the elevation, and the azimuth to find the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)