HELP! All my Hopper 3 recordings are inaccessible

alokep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
USA
I'm running U528 firmware dated Dec 11, 2018.
This morning, my DVR says 47% full, all icons for programs are there, with the # of episodes in the corner. All looks correct.
Except, when I enter any of the recorded programs, instead of the listing of recorded episodes, all I get is the flashing dots as if it is trying to retrieve the list. For some programs, it simply says "No episodes available".
The data is there on the hard drive inside, the UI is unable to access it.

I have re-started the hopper using the Settings-Diagnostics-Tools. Did not help.
I unplugged and re-plugged the Hopper3. On such restart, the content appeared once (Yay!). I played an episode and deleted it. In going back to DVR, recorded episodes, the never-ending dots are back, and the episodes are again inaccessible.

Please help me get my DVR contents back!

Aloke

Same situation here. I called Dish but they're backed up about an hour so I scheduled a callback. I also ran a Check Status and it says everything is fine.

I called Dish. They are replacing my H3.
I hope I'll be able to transfer my recordings from the old H3 to the new H3.
No guarantee! As obviously the index if recordings is somehow messed up on the old H3
:-(

BTW, all content is available on DishAnywhere. I am currently able to play the "missing" recordings on my TV using DishAnywhere on my iPad!!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just hung up with technical support. I'm one of "hundreds" that have called in about this issue today and "engineering is working on it." He was tickled pink about my workaround and is going to recommend to his supervisor that they're allowed to tell other customers so they can still watch DVRed content. It was so easy to show him because he was watching my Hopper with me. I didn't know they could do that.

If I were betting, this will turn out to be an issue on their end, rather than a hardware/software issue on your end. Once resolved, I bet your recordings will play normally again without the need to replace it.

Yep. The problem first started on a HWS here last night. There were no new software updates recently to cause it so it must be something else.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another solution is to delete the entire series (if you had multiple episodes of a particular program) by pressing the blue button. Then immediately go to Trash and restore all recordings.
Then the recordings show up when you enter a particular program.

Found a workaround...press Info and then choose Watch or Resume...recordings play back fine.
That may work if there is only 1 episode of a particular program.I have multiple episodes for each program.

The problem is, I don't see any listing when I enter a program icon. All I can do is press Info on the program icon.

I can confirm the same Hopper issue and Dish response. One other thing I noted is my On Demand shows do not seem affected by this issue. Also, I could transfer a single program to my external HDD and view it, but this process did not work for a folder of shows.

I can confirm the same Hopper issue and Dish response. One other thing I noted is my On Demand shows do not seem affected by this issue. Also, I could transfer a single program to my external HDD and view it, but this process did not work for a folder of shows.
...and if I do a search for programming, nothing shows at all in the results column.

Another solution is to delete the entire series (if you had multiple episodes of a particular program) by pressing the blue button. Then immediately go to Trash and restore all recordings.
Then the recordings show up when you enter a particular program.
I tried this as a test, but my trash bin shows as empty, even though I know I sent a program to it.

I'll be darned!. That trick has worked for me every time. I have (temporarily?) restored my content in My Recordings by deleting/un-deleting.

Everything is slow on the H3S. When I enter a program (with multiple episodes inside it), it rakes many seconds of flashing dots for the individual episodes to get listed. But at least the content shows up (eventually).

I bet this is a software problem (although, the last update was on Dec 11 (or maybe that is the date of the firmware creation.. maybe they updated my system last night?).
They are sending me a replacement H3S. How will that help?

I'll be darned!. That trick has worked for me every time. I have (temporarily?) restored my content in My Recordings by deleting/un-deleting.

Everything is slow on the H3S. When I enter a program (with multiple episodes inside it), it rakes many seconds of flashing dots for the individual episodes to get listed. But at least the content shows up (eventually).

I bet this is a software problem (although, the last update was on Dec 11 (or maybe that is the date of the firmware creation.. maybe they updated my system last night?).
They are sending me a replacement H3S. How will that help?
I would do a power cord reset and see if your H3 is back to normal, this was on dishs end. If your back to normal I would rethink that replacement.

Reactions: DWS44
I would do a power cord reset and see if your H3 is back to normal, this was on dishs end. If your back to normal I would rethink that replacement.
I did all 3 ways of resetting the H3S:
Through UI (menu-settings-diagnostics-tools)
Pressing and holding the Power button on the front panel
Unplug-plug in the power cord

None of those made any difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)