HELP !! Bridge Router Settings

Dune

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Kailua Kona, HI
Somehow my bridge router is no longer working and I have spent hours trying to get it going again.

I have a netgear WGR614 as my main router which works ok as I am on the internet.

My bridge router is a ZyXel P-330W that I connect to both my 622 and a Blu-Ray player.

Everything was fine until a couple of days ago when it lost the connection.

I started from scratch with a reset of the ZyXel but I can't get it to connect again.

My main router uses an ip address of 192.168.1.1 and the Zyxel reset is 192.168.10.1

I have made sure my wireless settings are the same (SSID, channel and WPA password)

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks, for any help

Dune

Just a guess but could it be the IP address of 192.168.10.1??? I think it needs to be something like 192.168.1.***(2-254). Like I said just a guess :).

Yes, I've changed it to be in the same range as the base router. When I set the ZyXel to bridge mode you have to make the change first otherwise it doesn't take.

I still can't get it to connect.

Let's get a few basic concepts straight here. Bridging and routing are two completely different functions. Routers connect different networks together, they operate at OSI layer 3. Bridges connect different parts of the same network together, they operate at OSI layer 2.

What I believe you are trying to do is operate your Zyxel box as a wireless bridge, in order to provide a wired connection to two devices which can't be hard wired to your NetGear router.

I'm not familiar with your Zyxel box, but what you need to do is go into the Zyxel's menus, and switch from normal router mode to wireless bridge mode. A bridge doesn't have to have an IP address, but they often can be assigned one for management purposes. The one thing you do need to do though is find out the MAC address of your NetGear router, because that will have to be entered into the Zyxel's menus somewhere. Did you read the manual? It should explain how to set up bridging mode. Sounds to me like you reset the box and it came up in routing mode, and you haven't done anything to reconfigure it in bridging mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)