Help Buying New TV

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
Okay, so some of you may have read about my recent trials and tribulations with my 2 year old Hitachi 51" CRT. Anyways, I am getting married in two weeks and now that everything is paid for, I want to start looking now to buying a new television before football season begins.

I have done what I consider extensive research and have narrowed it down to the following:

1. Panasonic TC-P50G25 50-Inch Plasma

OR

2. Panasonic TC-P54S2 54-Inch Plasma

Now here is where I need help:

The 50" is the G25 series which has a THX feature and the Viera Cast (web features) where as the S2 series does not. I thought I was all set and I would have to flip a coin between the two, but then last night I saw that neither television has a compatible processing setting like 48Hz or 96Hz for 1080p/24fps Blu-ray playback.

Is that something I should be concerned about or it does not matter? This television will be connected to my PS3 for both movies and games.

New Panny

No, there is no need for concern. Just set it to 2:3 pulldown and 60Hz. The G25 series is one of the best HDTVs on the market today. You absolutely will not be disappointed in it ! :up

No, there is no need for concern. Just set it to 2:3 pulldown and 60Hz. The G25 series is one of the best HDTVs on the market today. You absolutely will not be disappointed in it ! :up

thanks for the suggestion . . . what does that mean "set it to 2:3 pull down and 60Hz" ?

Okay, so some of you may have read about my recent trials and tribulations with my 2 year old Hitachi 51" CRT. Anyways, I am getting married in two weeks and now that everything is paid for, I want to start looking now to buying a new television before football season begins.

I have done what I consider extensive research and have narrowed it down to the following:

1. Panasonic TC-P50G25 50-Inch Plasma

OR

2. Panasonic TC-P54S2 54-Inch Plasma

Now here is where I need help:

The 50" is the G25 series which has a THX feature and the Viera Cast (web features) where as the S2 series does not. I thought I was all set and I would have to flip a coin between the two, but then last night I saw that neither television has a compatible processing setting like 48Hz or 96Hz for 1080p/24fps Blu-ray playback.

Is that something I should be concerned about or it does not matter? This television will be connected to my PS3 for both movies and games.

Yes, be concerned...why spend that much money and NOT get proper 24p support.

Plasmas

No, they don't. However, there is no need for concern. They do just fine at 60Hz. My 58" VT25 does an excellent job of 24p @ 96Hz. Of course, it can be set to 48Hz and 60Hz, as well. I can't tell one bit of difference running 60Hz or 96Hz. The G25 does 48Hz, which is an even multiple of 24Hz if that's important to you. However, most people just set it at 60Hz and forget it. The G25 has received nothing but raves from every reviewer who has tested it. Don't even think twice.....go for it. :up

I finally pulled the trigger . . . yes, yes it has been 6 months but that is because I got married and changed jobs so things just got hectic . . . anyways, I ordered the Panasonic 58S2 television due to its price and Sears' very very helpful customer service . . .

I have had a bad back since I was paralyzed as a child (no longer paralyzed by the grace of god or a higher power depending on your belief system) and any type of lifting hurts me to the point I can be bed-ridden. Sears had a few remaining sets left at the price of $1,099.99, but only for pick-up not delivery. Long story short, they worked with me and charged me $189.99 for delivery/install. Considering install is placing it on a tv stand and plugging it in, I said that should be more of a courtesy than an additional fee, and they agreed by reducing to the television by 10% to compensate some of the difference. Starting next Saturday, I will be watching my new 58" Panasonic plasma television which cost me a total of $1,225.87 for the television, delivery, and "install." I am so so so excited !!!!!

I will be sure to post my opinion/feelings about the television after I watch it for a while and once again,

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR RESPECTFUL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS AS ALWAYS HERE AT SATELLITE GUYS . . . THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!

I am re-posting because I do not see my post; sorry if it does appear twice.

I got my new 58" baby and it is all set up with a 722K receiver. I never had a plasma television before and am getting used to the size, picture, and clarity. Almost immediately I did set the video to Cinema, lowered the Contrast to 50 and lowered the Brightness to 60. Quick q: why is there no 1080P option on the 722; is it safe to assume that selecting 1080i will up-convert programs to 1080p? Thanks!

722 only has a select PPV available in 1080p. The rest of Dish HD programming is either 1080i or 720p. The TV usually does a much better job scaling than the 722.

mike123abc said:
722 only has a select PPV available in 1080p. The rest of Dish HD programming is either 1080i or 720p. The TV usually does a much better job scaling than the 722.

Okay ... so, the tv will display whatever the video transmission is; correct?

If that's the case, does it matter then what setting I set on the receiver; 1080i or 720p ?

Unfortunately the Dish boxes do not have a native format pass through feature. So, I would just run it all at 1080i, that way most channels will not have to be converted (since just a few are 720p).

mike123abc said:
Unfortunately the Dish boxes do not have a native format pass through feature. So, I would just run it all at 1080i, that way most channels will not have to be converted (since just a few are 720p).

Thanks!!!

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110117_154129.png
    ForumRunner_20110117_154129.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20110117_154147.png
    ForumRunner_20110117_154147.png
    491.3 KB · Views: 130
  • ForumRunner_20110117_154200.png
    ForumRunner_20110117_154200.png
    490.6 KB · Views: 107

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts