Help! Coax Cable Requirements?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WidespreadSTL

Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
Help!
I am going to be replacing the wiring through my house in order to hookup a multiswitch and run 6-7 feeds. I almost purchased a bulk roll of RG-6 that states it is sweep tested to 3 Ghz. I will have several HD boxes. Do I need to get cable that is sweep tested to 2 Ghz? I was going to by the coax because it is so inexpensive.
Are there any other suggestions for tackling this project?

That cable will work for satelite, swept tested means it will work up to a 3.0ghz signal, which is what you want.

My suggestion is, leave yourself extra cable on each line, that way if you need to fix anything you have some to do so.

Make sure you wallplates have high frequency barrels in them, usually blue, yellow, or red(3.0ghz). That way you have a clear signal passing through them.

Is this a swm setup?

For the most part it looks accurate.

With a newer Directv SWiM system only 1 cable is needed for a dvr setup. But, otherwise it would need 2.

I can't really talk about Dish, I am not up to date with their systems and how they operate.

Help!

Are there any other suggestions for tackling this project?

Yes, if you are going to all this trouble, run at LEAST 2 coax runs to each loc. (regardless if you are using a SWM setup or not) This way, if you would want a spare coax for other things (OTA or cable feeds, sat backfeeds to the main panel, etc) you'll already have it in place. Also, in your "main" viewing areas, I would strongly suggest running a 2nd pair. (4 coax) Again, you never know when you might need these & it's much easier doing it now, & as you know, coax is cheap - if you are NOT using SWM, you never know if you might want a 2nd DVR on the same TV. (his & her's - I do this ALL the time & clients love it, since the 2nd one is only $5 more a month!)

2/4 Coax to each location.

The main reason I am doing this is to get multiple TVs for Sunday games, so the multiple lines to each location makes sense. I do have an OTA Antenna. I was thinking of using Diplexers for those signals. Is this something you would recommend? Some of the cables will be on the exterior of the house and I was trying to minimize that.
Thanks,

depending on your setup diplexers are a good idea, if it is swm, i would stay far far away, and your always better off running a dedicated line, but if it is just a basic install, diplexers will work fine, for high deffinition, you will need to strategically place the bbc's when using diplexers and this may be tricky for a first timer.

depending on your setup diplexers are a good idea, if it is swm, i would stay far far away, and your always better off running a dedicated line, but if it is just a basic install, diplexers will work fine, for high deffinition, you will need to strategically place the bbc's when using diplexers and this may be tricky for a first timer.

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't even thinking. Too much Tiger baseball going on, should call it a night in this thread. :D

As far as diplexers I am using a pair of them in my Motorhome and they work just fine. When I am at a Campground that has cable I hook up the cable and my SWM-3 on a tripod to the diplexer and everything works. No problems with signals on cable or satellite.

I do have an OTA Antenna. I was thinking of using Diplexers for those signals. Is this something you would recommend? Some of the cables will be on the exterior of the house and I was trying to minimize that.
Thanks,

NO, run the separate cable NOW! If you are running all new cables, one more cable outside for OTA is NOT going to look that much different. It's much easier to just run the OTA signals on their own direct feeds to where they need to go, instead of screwing around with diplexers. Not to mention the fact, the cost of the extra coax line NOW is LESS than having to buy all those diplexers later.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)