HELP - Dish Network signal/support issue

gdcerie

Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Erie, Pa.
Hello,

I am new to this forum and need some assistance. Here are my two problems:

1. Living in a HOA and have been handed a list of rule - one says I can not install a Dish on my roof......and I bought the place. Have seen that the FCC ruled in '96 that they can not stop people from installing a dish on a roof unless it is a safety concern....true/false and any gov/court doc. that support this?

2. Had a "Dish" installer out to give some ideas of placement and was told I could not get a signal that would provide "locals" as I have trees on the back side of the house that block the signal. I was provided another option to still get "Dish Network" signal but without locals.....ideas on how I can get locals without supporting Time Warner?

Thanks for any help you can provide.......

And, if they can't find a place, get them to throw in an OTA module and put up an antenna. Or better yet, tell the HOA if they don't let you mount on the roof, you will have to install a huge OTA antenna in addition to the satellite. Maybe they will be more flexible.

If you own the house you can put the dish on the roof - or wherever you can find LOS for the satellite - so long as it is on your property.

They CANNOT require you to submit plans.
They CANNOT require you to give advance notice.
They CANNOT require you to get a permit.
They CANNOT require you to pay an additional fee, whether one-time, or monthly, to the HOA.
They CANNOT force you to use a pre-authorized cable service or company.
They CANNOT force you to use a pre-authorized installer.
They CANNOT force you to hide the dish under camouflage.

Additionally, NO VILLAGE, CITY, TOWN, nor any other governmental body, can cause you to file a permit, or pay a fee, to install an OTA antenna.

These actions have been tried, time and time again, by HOAs, and in some cases, municipalities, and they have been repeatedly shot down by the Commission. Go to the website referenced in the earlier message, familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations, and if necessary, call the Commission for clarification.

If you own the house, and it is NOT a TOWNHOUSE or CONDOMINIUM, whether you live in an area governed by an HOA or not, you have the right to put up any OTA antenna covered under the Commissions rules, so long as it is not more than 12 feet above the highest point where it is mounted. OTA antennas include satellite dishes - up to ONE METER. If necessary, you can also put up a high-gain antenna for standard television reception IN ADDITION to the satellite dish.

[You can still install satellite dishes in owned town homes and condominiums, but they are covered by slightly different rules with regard to the allowable areas of placement.]

If they, the HOA, gives you a problem, then file a complaint with the FCC. The Commission will investigate and they have the authority to FINE the HOA if the HOA fails to comply with the OTA rules and fails to allow you to put up a dish or an antenna.

While some like to tread lightly with HOAs, the Commission makes it VERY clear in their rulings they no one can disallow the use of OTAs covered under those rules and has actually taken several HOAs to court to enforce homeowner's rights.

Last edited:
THANKS EVERYONE -

I Can not get a signal from the roof that provides "local" channels so they have to install a dish that would point in a diff. direction. I want to be able to DVR those channels (ie. ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX) so if I have an antenna installed how can/will that work?

I am trying to be nice and wait for them to "accept" my request for the install - but I just watched as they required two others remove there dishes because the didn't ask. Just because these peeps are old and want to make there own laws just pisses me off as it is. HOA or not - the law is the law.

Some Dish DVRs have the ability to receive OTA broadcasts and can DVR them as well. For example, the 622 and 722 DVRs have an OTA module built in to the receiver...just hook up an antenna. The 722K receiver has an optional OTA module that can record 2 OTA channels at the same time.

The HOA is violating the law by requiring those two people to remove their dishes. Those 2 people could have told the HOA to get lost!

THANKS EVERYONE -

I Can not get a signal from the roof that provides "local" channels so they have to install a dish that would point in a diff. direction. I want to be able to DVR those channels (ie. ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX) so if I have an antenna installed how can/will that work?

I am trying to be nice and wait for them to "accept" my request for the install - but I just watched as they required two others remove there dishes because the didn't ask. Just because these peeps are old and want to make there own laws just pisses me off as it is. HOA or not - the law is the law.

Quite being nice.

You DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE A REQUEST the HOA asking permission to place a dish on your roof.

You do not have to wait for them to accept it - they will ignore it and never accept it if you don't force the issue.

The FCC, and the LAW, are on your side.

If it takes 10 dishes and an off-the-air antenna to receive all the channels you want, and they all have to be placed on your roof for proper line-of-site, your homeowner's association cannot say crap.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ASK THEIR PERMISSION.

Just do it. If they give you a problem, call the FCC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)