Help--DVB World Now Won't Initialize

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I had my DVB world box all set up this week for this weekends games. It worked beautifully. I just tried to fire it up to see some of the 4:2:2 feeds and when I try to open the software it "fails to initialize." The led light is only flashing intermittantly. I think it was on solidly earlier this week.

Help!! Please!!

Now there is no led light . . .

I've tried everything from restarting my computer to rechecking all connections. I'm wondering if the receiver went bad. Help PSB, please. Thanks.

Check you are getting the correct voltage from the power supply, remove it from the DVB Box then re-insert. Reboot.

I have had mine for well over a year now with no problems at all, it does not even get very warm these days!

Mine did the same thing, lasted less than an evening.
It worked, but the power connector was not good, the blue power light would go on and off upon the slightest movement.

Eventually during the evening, it would not initialize anymore.
Removed device from system, unloaded drivers countless times on 2 different computers. Same problem. Both systems well above the specs needed.

Tried on another computer at work, a real fancy hi dollar CAD workstation just to make sure it wasn't my setup. It would find the device, but never initialize.

I asked DMS for an RMA. Sent it back for repair, they sent a replacement.
Just got it today so have not had a chance to test the new one yet.

Count me in as having the same issue. Mine worked for a bit then poof. I did measure the output of the power supply and it was way too low and all over the place. Gotta make a trip to the post office to ship it out.

Ken

I've seen the failed to init mesages too but in my case it was always drivers /software. On another machine or if I could fully remove the software and install clean or better yet upgrade it has worked fine.

Mine hasn't missed a beat in a long while.

It worked, but the power connector was not good, the blue power light would go on and off upon the slightest movement.

Yes, it is easy to dislodge the power connector and I did this a few times when I first started using mine but then I powered everything down and made sure the connector was securely connected and then place the unit in a location where it and the power cord would not be subjected to any kind of contact or movement. Thus ensuring the power connector would not be nocked loose again. You guys should do the same as it's likely not good to continually subject the device to this.

Also one question, are you guys having trouble, using the DVBworld box to power your LNBs and/or motors. In my experience this is probably not a good practice with any of the PC DVB-s tuners including PCI cards. This is probably what accounts for most of the problems people have with PC DVB-S tuners overheating or running hot. I always recommend slaving these type of devices to a good blind scan receiver and allowing it to power the LNBs and control the motor if you have a motorized dish. if you don't do this then it's probably adviseable to use power injectors.

My DVB World USB receiver runs ICE cold now :) Used to be quite HOT! Never had a problem with ANY LNB with it.

And have never used it on a motor yet.

Mine did the same thing, lasted less than an evening.

Eventually during the evening, it would not initialize anymore.
Removed device from system, unloaded drivers countless times on 2 different computers. Same problem. Both systems well above the specs needed.

Tried on another computer at work, a real fancy hi dollar CAD workstation just to make sure it wasn't my setup. It would find the device, but never initialize.

I asked DMS for an RMA. Sent it back for repair, they sent a replacement.
Just got it today so have not had a chance to test the new one yet.

Does the new one work? I shipped mine back and I'm waiting for the replacement.

Yes, it is easy to dislodge the power connector and I did this a few times when I first started using mine but then I powered everything down and made sure the connector was securely connected and then place the unit in a location where it and the power cord would not be subjected to any kind of contact or movement. Thus ensuring the power connector would not be nocked loose again. You guys should do the same as it's likely not good to continually subject the device to this.

Also one question, are you guys having trouble, using the DVBworld box to power your LNBs and/or motors. In my experience this is probably not a good practice with any of the PC DVB-s tuners including PCI cards. This is probably what accounts for most of the problems people have with PC DVB-S tuners overheating or running hot. I always recommend slaving these type of devices to a good blind scan receiver and allowing it to power the LNBs and control the motor if you have a motorized dish. if you don't do this then it's probably adviseable to use power injectors.

Mine was slaved to my pansat box so that isn't why I had problems. In addition, I had the red led on the power cords so I knew I had power. I tried reinserting the plug into the usb box multiple times, but it didn't make any difference.

I did have one thought. Does it matter how you "turn off" this unit? There is no on/off switch. So, I just unplugged the unit when I was done using it. Is there some kind of magic way to nicely turn it on and off other than just unplugging it and plugging it back in?

I always wait until my PC is powered down completely then pull the plug, but mine is in use around 12 hrs a day, and I have a 2nd one arriving tomorrow :)

I've seen the failed to init mesages too but in my case it was always drivers /software. On another machine or if I could fully remove the software and install clean or better yet upgrade it has worked fine.

Mine hasn't missed a beat in a long while.

I just went to the Nextorm website. It says that there is a version 2.06 of the software. Is this what you used? I checked the software that I installed on my laptop that came with the box and it says that it is version 1.0. On the Nextorm website there is a link to version 2.01 with a note that you can use 2.01 if the newer version 2.06 doesn't work well.

Is anyone using the other software? I reinstalled the 1.0 software several times before returning my box and it didn't make any difference. Sad to say that I didn't think about upgrading the software.

But, I also must say that I wonder if it is the software because even if my computer wasn't on I believe that the blue led glowed solidly most of the time before I had a problem and it started blinking.

Any thoughts?

Does the new one work? I shipped mine back and I'm waiting for the replacement.

I live in Western NY, and been without power for days.
I'll try it this weekend and post back.

I was running mine direct to the dish (not slaved) with a motor and diseqc switch.
Looks like I'll need to slave it so it wont fry itself.

Will look for the new software also you mention, when I do...

I tried the Nextorm drivers and never had any luck.

I got the updated software here:
http://www.worlddvb.com/html/softdown.htm

If you are trying to use TSReader and such, this link may be helpfull too:
http://www.worlddvb.com/html/dvb software.htm

I also use the DVBDream software which I feel is a little more customizable than the DVBWorld software. I like the PiP stuff especially. Either works just fine for 4:2:2 or HD though.

This is interesting. The world dvb website makes me wonder if something has changed. My receiver was labelled "nextorm" not "worlddvb." Could that be a real difference? Everything else looks the exact same.

PSB, what software do you use "Nextorm" or "worlddvb"? Others?

I have ALWAYS used the software that comes with the DVB World USB box for flawless HD / 4:2:2 / and AC3 audio!

I have a 2nd DVB World USB box (Just arrived) that will ONLY be running TSreader :)

Replacement Arrived

My new nextorm box arrived yesterday. I hooked up the cables, plugged it in, and IT WORKED fine with the existing software.

The only problem is that now I am nervous about doing something to cause the same problem again. I will shut down my laptop first as PSB suggested. Anyone else have any suggestions? I really don't want to go through the hassle of a replacement box again.

I'll put the box through its 4:2:2 paces this saturday!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)