help for a beginner

chathorne

Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
alabama
Ok, I have been trying to read up on this stuff. But please assume that I know nothing.
I have (2) antennas mounted on a telephone pole next to my house. I recently hooked them up to an analog TV just to see what I could find. There were a few channels.
I live in Elrod, AL 35458
I know there aren’t a lot of channels around my area, but some are better that none. I have attached pics of the antennas. I haven’t seen any sort of pre-amp on the pole or in the attic. The antennas are joined by a “splitter”, not sure of any specs until I lay this thing down and get a good look at it.
The antennas are about 30-35 feet off the ground.
So I guess my questions are:
Should I use one or both of the antennas?
Should I build or buy a new one?
What kind of pre-amp should I but?
Will it even be worth the trouble?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Carl

Attachments

• IMAGE_001.jpg
    IMAGE_001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAGE_002.jpg
    IMAGE_002.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 138
I can tell by looking at the pictures that your antennas are very, very old. If you want good results, you need to replace them. I recommend that you start with Winegard HD 7694P High Definition VHF/UHF HDHD769 Series Antenna (HD7694P) | HD7694P [Winegard] and aim it towards Birmingham (east-northeast direction). To make up for downlead loss, add Winegard HDP 269 SquareShooter Pre-Amplifier for SquareShooter SS-1000 (HDP-269) | HDP-269 [Winegard] . You will also need new RG-6 coax for your downlead ( Solid Signal Custom Cable Lengths RG6 Quad Shielded with High Quality Solid Signal Connectors (SSCBLQ) | SSCBLQ [Solid Signal] ).

You can get manuals at: HDTV Home Antenna Preamplifier Preamp Accessories - Winegard and HDTV Home Antenna, 30-50 Miles, VHF, UHF, HD7694P, Yagi - Winegard

My recommendations are based on "best performance for the money". There are larger/better antennas that capture more signal, and there are better pre-amps that have more gain and lower noise. But they cost more.

The question is how much do you want to spend VS how much will you receive. TV Fool shows ABC/CW/CBS & PBS as the most likely channels you could receive.

The antennas you have now look old but in photos probably good condition. The long one looks to be a VHF (CH.2-13) and the "V" shaped on is UHF (CH 14-69). More than likely they need to be removed and brought down to ground level and corrosion removed from contact points. Probably will need new "BALUNS" to replace existing and a new "UVSJ" combiner to couple the antennas together.

Is this worth it or should you just put up new antenna? Personally I would replace them and start from scratch but is it worth it for limited reception? Do you already have a digital converter or is that an additional expense?

according to antennaweb . com i could possible get the channels listed below (i think i put in that my antenna was 100 ft tall, just to see all that channels)

DTV
WUOA ------ 23.1 ------ IND ------ 137 deg ------ 21.6 miles
W46BU ----- 46.1 ------ TBN ------ 137 deg ----- 21.6 miles
WCFT ------- 33.1 ------ ABC ------ 59 deg ------- 26.3 miles
WDBB ------ 18.1 ------ CW ------- 61 deg ------- 27.8 miles
WTTO ------- 21.1 ----- CW ------- 77 deg ------- 59.8 miles
WABM ------ 68.1 ----- MNT ----- 77deg -------- 59.8 miles

all on UHF
not sure about getting the last two

i do need to get a converter box, any suggestions or ones to avoid?

i think i will pull everything down this weekend and clean up all the connections. should i use some liquid electrical tape on the connections before putting it back up?

oh, and would i be able to pick up 59 deg & 77 deg at the same time? or would i need a rotor?

thanks,
Carl

all on UHF

Sorry. 23.1 is the virtual channel for real RF channel 6.

WUOA AL TUSCALOOSA USA (Digital)

Licensee: THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
Service Designation: DT Digital television station

Channel: 6 82 - 88 MHz Modification of Construction Permit
File No.: BMPCDT-20081028AAZ Facility ID number: 77496
CDBS Application ID No.: 1268841

33° 29' 2.00 " N Latitude
86° 48' 21.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

The Zenith or Insignia boxes have the best reputation.

WUOA is also listed as being independent, and it's totally up to the op's viewing habits. If One Tree Hill, America's Next Top Model, and reruns of second rate sitcoms from the Big Four are part of your viewing must-haves, by all means, put up a 6-foot-wide antenna that's twice the weight of another antenna that works just as well on anything else. I'm not being snyde or mean or belittling to perfectly legitimate passtimes, and I have no idea what that station actually carries. I'm just pointing out that the owner MUST decide what's important enough to spend money on. Like a rotator, which is an unneeded liability if not a waste of money for stations that are only 16 degrees apart.

There will also be a channel 3 LP analog repeater station and several othe VHF repeaters around after the June switch, so a full VHF combined with an excellent UHF may be in order.

I knew about WUOA-DT moving to channel 6, but I have a very low opinion of any station stupid enough to use VHF-Lo for DTV in the Southeast, considering the amount of lightning-laced thunderstorms we get (I'm 150 miles east of Elrod, AL).

If WUOA-DT is important to "chathorne", he could use a Winegard HD7082P or HD7080P, but he will get drop-outs on that station during thunderstorms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)