Need help again from all you Pro's

TimandPatti

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
We have a mitsubishi ws-55311. It's HD ready but I'm looking for a whatever it takes to make it a HDTV. We bought it in 2003, still has a great picture. I have tried doing a search for an HD capable receiver and come up with nothing. I think Circuit City carried what we needed at one time but they have closed. I checked Best Buy with no luck.
Anyone have any idea's?

Thanks in advance!

I believe that none of them qualify for the $40 coupon, but I'm probably wrong about that.

You're not wrong about that: Under the law/regs establishing the program, coupon-eligible converter boxes may have only RF, composite and/or S-video outputting DTV downconverted to analog. Anything more than that (i.e., component or HDMI outputs), and the box isn't eligible.

Couple of other ideas in addition to Winegard's box:

* There's the well-regarded Samsung DTB-H260F.

* The Coby DTV-140 is inexpensive and has gotten fairly good reviews so far.

Had a Winegard RC1010 early last year, and it is a nice unit, but had freeze up problems when doing
manual channel adds.
Sent it back, (only 90 day warranty) and the 2nd one did the same thing, so back it went to, for a refund.
Used warrenelectronics.com, and they where real good to deal with, on the return item.

If you subscribe to either Dish Network or Directv, consider one of their HD receivers with an "OTA tuner" or they may call it an "ATSC tuner" (don't assume all satellite HD receivers automatically have "OTA/ATSC tuners" built-in).

They are dropping Dish to go OTA only. I would recommend the DTV Pal DVr from Dish. The latest firmware update has apparently solved it''s reliability issues. 250.00 for an OTA HD Dvr with a program guide and no fees is a good deal.

I looked at the DTV Pal DVR from Dish online and currently it's not for sale. Maybe they pulled it till the get some issues resolved. (update, it seems to be for sale again)
For now we are using the VCR to record shows my husband doesn't want to miss.

We canceled Dish network recently because like so many millions of other people times are hard. We needed to cut as many corners as possible. We loved Dish but it was a luxury.
We'll do fine with 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3. Most of the shows my husband and I watch are on those anyway.
We are doing our best to make lemon aide from lemons.

Thank you all so much for the help. The antenna came but my husband is on the road right now. He'll be home Monday and get it put up and we'll be free of the rabbit ears.
We bought the Winegard HD 8200U High Defintion Platinum VHF/UHF/FM Antenna (HD8200U)
:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts