Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
At the 2007 SBE Show in Atlanta this week I was able to sit and talk for a good long time with David from Fortec.

He said that Forec is listening to what we want and has made a number of improvements based on our feedback he has seen here at SatelliteGuys, however he noted that they don't read everything and what they are reading may not be what most people want to see in a Fortec recevier.

He has asked me if I could point all of our FTA members to an online survey that Fortec has setup so that the next receiver (after the passion HD receiver) can have exactly what folks want most in a Fortec box.

You can take this survery by clicking here

Fortec is the first company to ever work with us who wants to listen to what our members want and they plan on making a receiver based on the responces the get. So please take the survey now.

http://s.checkmarket.com/?e=5852&h=0925D498A81511D9770A&l=en

Thanks! (And thanks to Fortec for listening to us!)

This thread should probably be locked to prevent a bunch of replies like mine :rolleyes:
...but thanks for the link.
I gave it to 'em with both barrels!

They are obviously looking to prioritize which features will make the most people happy for the least manufacturing cost.
Talking to us is great market research.
We've got the dollars to spend, know what we want, and will likely buy when we see what we want.

I also added that honesty about and rapid repair of bugs, would do more to enhance their reputation than anything.

One thing I should point out, before Fortec was relying on other companies to do much of the work for them, now starting with the Passion HD receiver they are doing EVERYTHING themselves.

It's like a new Fortec. I am very excited about it all. :)

same here, the new fortec looks like a true hobbiest ird, Im very excited.

4:2:2 and blindscan will be my next ird.

if I could have a wish list Id also add opensrc linux firmware, but thats a big wish I know :) web interface would be nice as well, I find it handy on my dreambox.

About 4 years ago or so, several other people and myself (on Usenet) wanted to hear PBS (AC-3), we wanted blind search, and we wanted enough memory to list all the satellites we could "see" in the satellite list on the receiver.

Well I sent off emails with my "wish list" to several different mpeg manufacturers...

Fortec is the only company which replied. Furthermore, they replied quickly, thanked me for my suggestions, and said they would forward my email to their product development department...

Now 4 years later, look at their Mercury II receiver (which I just purchased). It does everything we were asking for!

So this company does listen to their customers.

This is awesome! Stuff like this is really what builds brand loyalty!

And this stuff is basic - listen to your customers, customer is boss, find out what your customers want, then give it to them, etc. This equals success.

Same thing goes for the manufacturer of the BSC621-2 (which I also just purchased). These folks gave us what we wanted.

Anyway as they say, "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."

Done... I also have noticed bugs with my reciver and put that down as something that shoud be looked at.. But my main suggestion would be to add the ability to see other encryption methods like Powervu and Directv (DBS). That would be nice. I do have a Powervu reciver that I cant wait to play with when i get home. It is screaming to look at comcasts channels just to see whats free to air over there.. If I buy a house its definaly getting c band and I will point it at AFN so it can decode what its autherized to decode :)

I send my ideas to Fortec about adding 4:2:2 blind scan and 8QPSK and Turbo QPSK and FM analog video.

Also added to the list is 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 HDTV 50 and 60 HZ video format.:hungry:

the problem with other encyrption methods is the fact that the providers wont authorize them, they need to be authorized before you can get the free channels, as basically free to them means that the channels are still encrypted, they just dont charge you for them. for example starchoice has a few channels and 4dtv has a few free channels but you need to be subscribed at one time or another for you to receive them, this is because they send you the keys for those free channels when you sub, when you cancel they just dont remove those keys because the channels are free. they are still encrypted though. and without the provider subing you, you'll never get those keys :( GC is the same way, they only allow their own ird's to be subbed, they wont let you take their GC card and put it into a fortec mercury II and subscribe.

would be nice if the providers took a look at how euro works and brought that same mentality over here.

Done, in the comments, I suggested a skew-able dish mount, since I'm heading in the direction of multi switches and multiple satellites, using separate dishes, instead of my motorized dish.

Al

Now if they would only name the receiver the "SatGuys Choice" :)
Now there's an idea. How about a "SatelliteGuys.US Tested and Approved" logo on the front panel, they might sell more of them that way. I know that would definitely influence my choice. Of course that would mean you would have to come up with a "logo application process" similar to the M$ "Designed for Windows" logo process, just handing the logo out to companies that paid would look suspicious.

Oooh, I just did the survey and I forgot to add this great feature I just thought of, ability to integrate zap2it or similar Internet guide info into the EPG. Somebody remember that when you do the survey.

I told them I wanted 4:2:2 and to license DC2 (and megapipe) from Motorola.

Why couldn't they license DC2, sit down with Comcast/Hits, and make X4 a "3rd" pizza dish option?

Hey Guys
Don't forget to mention EPG editing software and ac3 decoding.:) in the box.
rdel

Now there's an idea. How about a "SatelliteGuys.US Tested and Approved" logo on the front panel, they might sell more of them that way. I know that would definitely influence my choice. Of course that would mean you would have to come up with a "logo application process" similar to the M$ "Designed for Windows" logo process, just handing the logo out to companies that paid would look suspicious.

Oooh, I just did the survey and I forgot to add this great feature I just thought of, ability to integrate zap2it or similar Internet guide info into the EPG. Somebody remember that when you do the survey.

Of course to earn that logo, they would need to provide a few "test" models for each of us to test and report on!! :)
(or at least offer a substantial discount!!)
Everyone seemed to have mentioned the features that I hope for. Except, I like to mess with programming and would love to be able to write plugins etc. for the box. So, I suggested making the box opensource using Linux as the OS and making the base source code available. That might increase the life and usefulness of the box.
grusome

IWhy couldn't they license DC2, sit down with Comcast/Hits, and make X4 a "3rd" pizza dish option?

I have been saying this for awhile now. There is a market of folks who want Satellite TV but do not want to deal with Dish or DirecTV. We could have the C Band Programming Revolution all over again, but this time on KU.

Please if you have not filled out the survey please do so now! Fortec is giving us a voice so please USE IT!

I have been saying this for awhile now. There is a market of folks who want Satellite TV but do not want to deal with Dish or DirecTV. We could have the C Band Programming Revolution all over again, but this time on KU.

Please if you have not filled out the survey please do so now! Fortec is giving us a voice so please USE IT!

I'm not too bright, so why isn't this X4 idea (and HD/4:2:2) obvious to these guys? Does anyone working for these companies actually own a dish?

Similarly, why doesn't Twinhan etc (smart enough to do 4:2:2 on a PC) spend 1$ calling a chinese company to make their cards a STB?

I'm not too bright, so why isn't this X4 idea (and HD/4:2:2) obvious to these guys? Does anyone working for these companies actually own a dish?

Similarly, why doesn't Twinhan etc (smart enough to do 4:2:2 on a PC) spend 1$ calling a chinese company to make their cards a STB?
Most of those companies are not located in this part of the world. In fact, with a few exceptions, most are made in South Korea.
As for Twinhan none of their products are anything more than tuners. The reason they can handle what they do is because of software. You can even do h.264/MPEG4 using a Twinhan card and the correct Video Codec along with a good video card and fast computer. If you read the specs on the Twinhans close enough, it says that they do MPEG2,,,,,,,,,,in software. It is not built into the card either.
grusome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts