Help going from two receivers to one

probinson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
In an effort to reduce my monthly cost for Dish, I'm investigating changing my setup from one VIP722K and one VIP622 to just one VIP722K. I have (2) HDTV's and (2) SDTV's that I would like to power. My plan is to eliminate the 622 and run all 4 TV's on the 722K. To do that, I plan to use the HDMI output on the 722K to power my living room TV, running a component cable to the HDTV in my bedroom, and then using the TV2 out split to run the other (2) SDTV's.

I realize that by doing this, I'll be forced to watch the same thing on both HDTV's and both SDTV's, and I'm OK with that. However, I'd like to know if there is a way to program the Dish remotes to be able to power all the TV's from each room. IOW, can I set up an RF remote to power TV one, and have another RF remote (or 2) to power TV2?

Thanks for any info.

Yup; no problem going UHF remote on TV1. I always do this in order to hide my duo dvr in a closet downstairs.

Yes, multiple remotes can be setup to control the same TV (TV1/TV2 of the receiver). You'll need 21.0's on all the TV's unless you have line of site for the 20.0 to work both TV1's.

Instead of changing the remote address, what you would do is match the address that is currently on the system info screen

Cool. But if you go to UHF on TV1, can you also use UHF for TV2 at the same time?

Yes, they'll have different addresses and won't interfere with each other

Thank you.

When I return the 622, will I also be required to return the remotes? And if so, what is the current cost of the 21.0 remote?

Yes, we do ask that the remotes are sent back with the receiver. The cost of a remote from us is $20 each (you may be able to find a cheaper one online somewhere)

Yeah, it looks like eBay has some better prices on the remotes.

Other than needing to purchase additional remotes, does the proposed setup in my OP sound like it would work?

Yeah, it looks like eBay has some better prices on the remotes.

Other than needing to purchase additional remotes, does the proposed setup in my OP sound like it would work?

Yep, I don't see any problems. Look at the price of long HD cables before you buy them, it may be cheaper (and easier) to run a long HDMI instead of component.

I have had both a 622 and now a 922 as a primary receiver split between 2 HDTVs. Essentially my office is on HDMI and my bedroom on component (it is 75 feet away as the cable runs, but now with low cost HDMI->cat5->HDMI converters I may reverse this some day). I use a optical to coax converter to send the 5.1 sound down one line (I have 5 RG6 cables between the office and bedroom, use 4 now, 3 component one audio). If I were doing this today I would use 2 cat6 lines instead of the 5 RG6s that I originally ran (before the days of HDMI) and run the local TV on component.

This setup works very well since I do not have to share this receiver with anyone else.

You might also consider 211ks for other TVs that you might want in HD since they are $6/month and can be converted to DVRs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)