Help!! HDMI connection lost signal...

insurancepi

Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Dish (622DVR) and LG Plasma. The cable I have is a HDMI to DVI. I have had the HDMI connection for months along with a component and about 30 minutes ago I lost DVI signal...(I turned to to the component and it still works) .. the screen just said no signal (the message was from the TV not the 622) at any rate I have not changed any settings since I connected them several months ago. Well, I checked out the DVI cable and then reconnected it and still I am getting no signal. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on. Thanks in advance.

only thing i could think of would be try powering everything off, resetting the 622 then powering it all back on with your fingers crossed

Lots of 622 VIP owners are starting to lose HDMI. A few due to the connector being a really crappy design which breaks easily enough on its own as far as the way it was engineered in the 622. But, I suspect that many are experiencing HDMI failure due to a software flaw - at least that is the standard line that Dish tech support is providing everyone with HDMI issues. No estimated patch/fix date other than "our engineers are working hard to fix this issue". :confused: Their solution: Use component outputs until a patch addressing the problem is released. NOT the solution I like or respect - as I drive two HDTV's with my 622: one with HDMI (downstairs in my theater room) and Component outputs (upstairs near the kitchen) and I'd have to manually switch the cable back and forth all the time.

Have a look around the forum, this issue has been discussed at length recently in many other dedicated threads. Hopefully they'll issue a patch soon. I'm giving them a couple months. Then I'm planning to raise hell if it's not fixed. :mad:

Cheers!
Supercharged_Z06

I don't think it's the connector, I opened my 622 to see if I could re-solder it, looked fine and seemed a robust design. I think it's some bad chips, mine worked fine for months and then I lost the red colors. A few days later, I got funny lines and then it went completly out.

Try unpluging it from the wall your 622 and waite about 5 minutes and plug it back in. But before you do this make sure you dont have your DVI to HDMI cable plug into the receiver or TV. After you have waited for 5 minutes just plug in your 622 turn on the power to it. Next make sure to plug your DVI end 1st into your TV then the HDMI end into your 622. See what happens then if you done this then I would call Dish see about getting a new 622. Also make sure that you E-mail then letting them know your make and model of TV.. This is important due to some brands of TV are haveing more issues with their HDMI Standard than others. I know on one of the last Tech Chats they did mention that some brand TV were having issues with their HDMI inputs. My guess is that on their software updates their fixing some issues with some brands of tvs but they might mess up others. Either way its a combination of both tv and receiver but let us know how it goes.. :)

rglore said:
I don't think it's the connector, I opened my 622 to see if I could re-solder it, looked fine and seemed a robust design. I think it's some bad chips, mine worked fine for months and then I lost the red colors. A few days later, I got funny lines and then it went completly out.
To anyone experiencing this problem including the OP: If you haven't checked in this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=68950&page=21

you need to do some homework. The problem you're experiencing is very common and most likely due to a broken HDMI connection on the PCB. Contrary to your statement, this is NOT a robust design! Even E* admitted that in their most recent Tech Chat. There are most likely several unrelated root causes to the "622 no HDMI output" problem including high temperatures/temp. cycling and possibly SW issues. I'm willing to bet that in your case however, it's indeed a broken connection at the PCB, possibly due to the weight/motion of the HDMI plug and cable or temp. cycling that over time finally did the damage. Sorry for the bad news. As others have said, call E* Tech Support and get the wheels in motion for a replacement...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it. I will let you guys know the outcome. This is a great forum.

If it was a connector issue as you suggest, then wiggling it would cause some change to the signal to the TV, I have tried. No one has found any defect in the connector, just a LOT of speculation. Dish is probably repeating what they have heard on the forums to not take the blame themselves. This same connector is used on millions of TVs and works just fine, I agree it's a little flimsy for the big super quality cables though.

The problem described insurancepi does not appear to be the latest software problem. That problem is characterized by loss of audio only from ALL TV1 audio outputs (HDMI, optical, analog, modulated) and the problem is corrected (for a variable amount of time) by rebooting the machine. I would bet on a bad HDMI connector.

rglore said:
If it was a connector issue as you suggest, then wiggling it would cause some change to the signal to the TV, I have tried. No one has found any defect in the connector, just a LOT of speculation. Dish is probably repeating what they have heard on the forums to not take the blame themselves. This same connector is used on millions of TVs and works just fine, I agree it's a little flimsy for the big super quality cables though.
rglore - please read the thread I gave, and perhaps the others on the same topic (most of which have been merged). There are definite reported problems with the connector AND some success stories of what folks have done to REPAIR them! In some cases wiggling the plug has changed the situation. I fear however that in most cases, wiggling it has made the problem WORSE to the point of total failure.

Dish has confirmed the problem, but they are blaming the connector design and not offering any suggestions for "solving" it other than "switch to component connections". Those who complain correctly and persistently are getting their receivers replaced and in most cases that solves the problem (until the connector in the replacement unit breaks!).

The "robustness" of the connector itself may not be the real issue. It might instead be a problem with the fact that the connector is bolted to the back of the chassis without adequate support given to the PCB in that same location, placing any stress imparted due to thermal changes on the fragile PCB connections. This was reported by TripleII in this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=65138&page=11

Sorry, but I and a whole host of others are not going to agree with your position on this situation...!

Last edited:
rglore said:

These are VERY fine pitch pins. When I opened mine up the pin initially appeared soldered.

But, a poke with a dental pick quickly located the unsoldered pin.

A hit with a soldering iron got my HDMI back.

There was nothing wrong with the connector itself. Is wasnot broken or cracked. Issue is with the lousy way Dish chose to mount the connector to the PCB.

Read the other thread -> I will not reply here again.

Yeah again folks that are having issues over and over again should always first try another receiver.. If you still have issues then it obvious something else your TV or the cable.. This way if there is something broken inside then getting another should fix the issue. Unless you want to take the chance and solder it yourself..

rglore said:
If it was a connector issue as you suggest, then wiggling it would cause some change to the signal to the TV, I have tried. No one has found any defect in the connector, just a LOT of speculation.

"No one" has found a problem with the connector???

Did you read the link above where multiple people, after experiencing an HDMI failure, closely examined the internal connections and found broken pins?

Many people have reported that wiggling the connector DID make it work again, or at least caused some kind of image to show on the TV. For some it fixed it for a short period and then they lost it again. If internal connections are breaking, then wiggling it may or may not work, depending upon how severe/numerous the breaks are.

Also several people who reported these problems, received new receivers and everything worked again, even with the same software as they had before, along with the same TVs and same cables.

So there is a lot of evidence that it is a hardware problem. At least for some people. I don't see how a software update is going to reconnect internal pins.

But there could be a software issue for some. No way to verify this.

Also check for firmware updates for your TV also not have brands will write software updates. But something to look into..

The issue is NOT Speculation. FYI I have an LG plasma myself, with the EXACT same setup. I opened my 622 and somehow EVERY single leg was not soldered and it used to be working fine. DO NOT BELIEVE this "software" nonsense. That is all it is. Echostar should do a recall if they were honorable with a fixed and improved HDMI port/connector design. Good luck repairing that port too... Not for the average or even intermediate level solder person. Expert only with expert tools! You have been warned! ;0 Take atoothpick to each leg. you Will see one wiggle. I will bet on it...!

-B

Well if its a hardware issue then you just have them send you a replacement.. But software will also effect the hardware too on how well it works.. What is the model # of the LG set you guys have??

Last edited:
So let me got this right, you guys are taking apart your dish net network eqip in which you are voiding all of your rights to a replacement, whether it be leased or owned.

Yeah good point! I'm not taking anything apart but seems others are.. Either way you should always try another receiver if you keep having issues with it.

HDMI prob. fixed

After four months of telephone calls in which I complained about the sudden loss of HDMI output, DISH relented and sent a replacement unit. HDMI output now works great! Count me among those who argue that there is NO software problem; it's bad unit fabrication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)