Help: Hopper cant be installed says tech (Bcuz of multi-dish setup)

jazzis

Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
The installer just left my house and says we cant upgrade to the hopper. Because theres no clear sight to all three locations 110,119 and 129 From one single location. We currently have a Multidish setup getting Both 110 and 119 strong. As far as i know where one of my dishes is. I can see both 119 and 129. IN another location i get good signal on 110. I dont understand why We now have to have everything on one dish. Does anyone else have a multidish setup with the Hopper?

A little background. I installed my original setup 15 years ago. With no problem. I'm very technical.

I had a lot typed out here and then reread your post!

So you have 119/110? Where is the other dish pointed? Is the 119/110 a DPP twin or legacy twin? What are you upgrading from?

I think a 500 DPP twin pointed at 119/110 with a wing dish pointed at 129 would work for 1H/xJ setup. It would not work for a 2 hopper system.

I will be curious to see what others say.

Another thought Did he say anything about the EA?

I had a lot typed out here and then reread your post!

So you have 119/110? Where is the other dish pointed? Is the 119/110 a DPP twin or legacy twin? What are you upgrading from?

I think a 500 DPP twin pointed at 119/110 with a wing dish pointed at 129 would work for 1H/xJ setup. It would not work for a 2 hopper system.

I will be curious to see what others say.
Yes 119/110 with DPP. Currently have a 622,508,625 and a 512. We were looking to do a 2 hopper 2 joey system.

You either need a full western arc setup 110/119/129 or an eastern arc setup 77/72.7/61.5 ,depending on your locals and which arc they are located. In some areas the locals are on both arcs. In my home town and the one I "moved" to , they are on both arcs. You need to find out which arc your HD locals are located on . That may be why the installer said you can't upgrade to the hopper. Check the LIST on this website and generate the eastern arc and then again the western arc configuration and check and see where your locals are located. I believe that at one time St.Louis hd locals were on both arcs. IF your locals are on both arcs ,then the question is why you can't get line of sight for eastern arc if you can't get all of western arc satellites. Call DISH and get the technical department to talk to you about this and see if you can't get it elevated to a supervisor, who will set up an appointment to do a check for full line of sight for either arc for your home. The new dish that they use for eastern arc is a 1000.2 sat dish ,now with a two lnb setup for just 72.7 and 61.5. If you need 77 sat they can set you up for that configuration with another switch if needed. Either way call and get the call elevated to a supervisor who can straighten this out.

navychop: I sent my reply before I thought it all the way through. If I am thinking correctly, the switch would have to be at the Dish to send three feeds to the Duo unless the Duo is at the Dish, too. However, I have not seen an engineering document that shows a DPP Twin in a possible configuration. Besides my 1k2, I have a 1000+ to 44s for my testing. If I remember correctly, a DPP Twin could feed a 44 which can feed a node. BTW - were you on a boat or feet dry?

Mike: I don't know where the OP is located. The locals may have been a consideration. I am located in STL and yes the locals are on both arcs. We install both arcs.

OP didn't describe his setup completely. If I counted correctly he has 6 tuners so he may have a 44 already or two 33s.

This is beginning to hurt my head. I really enjoy thinking these special cases through. A good way to learn and add to the mental toolkit! And if I make a mistake, many are more than glad to help straighten me out.

I agree with Mike that the 1k2 would be the way to go and the preferred way. I am not sure Dish would really like a kludged wing setup.

I had an undersized original Dish 1000 and a single LNB 500 and DPP44. With Hopper install I now have a Dish 1000.2 black pan. I would like to add the 500 back for 61.5 or 72.7 as backup. (It was from pre-129, i.e., 148, then VOOM days. Both bygones.) The Point Dish screen mentions a 4th LNB but without opening the head-end I see no access to the switch. I'll probably take a look but if someone knows if there is a 4th input, it would be easier?
-Ken

But there are Hopper setups with Internationals off 118 so it can be done.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:
I have done many things, that can not be done, since I decided to get my Hopper.
Starting with putting two Hoppers in an RV back when NO Hoppers were allowed in an RV only account. and using a DPP 500 then two DPP 500s to my Duo Node.

You either need a full western arc setup 110/119/129 or an eastern arc setup 77/72.7/61.5 ,depending on your locals and which arc they are located. In some areas the locals are on both arcs. In my home town and the one I "moved" to , they are on both arcs. You need to find out which arc your HD locals are located on . That may be why the installer said you can't upgrade to the hopper. Check the LIST on this website and generate the eastern arc and then again the western arc configuration and check and see where your locals are located. I believe that at one time St.Louis hd locals were on both arcs. IF your locals are on both arcs ,then the question is why you can't get line of sight for eastern arc if you can't get all of western arc satellites. Call DISH and get the technical department to talk to you about this and see if you can't get it elevated to a supervisor, who will set up an appointment to do a check for full line of sight for either arc for your home. The new dish that they use for eastern arc is a 1000.2 sat dish ,now with a two lnb setup for just 72.7 and 61.5. If you need 77 sat they can set you up for that configuration with another switch if needed. Either way call and get the call elevated to a supervisor who can straighten this out.
Im aware i need a full western arc setup for Detroit Mi, but whats the problem with getting 119/129 from the peak of my roof and 110 closer to the ground from another dish. there has to be some type of setup using a multiswitch or somthing.

This is definitely do-able with multiple dishes wherever. I think the cheapest is to pull off the DPP twin and put on two DP duals. Then you feed all 3 LNBs into a DPP33 and you're done. (Except for the 3 cables going to the dual node.)

Im aware i need a full western arc setup for Detroit Mi, but whats the problem with getting 119/129 from the peak of my roof and 110 closer to the ground from another dish. there has to be some type of setup using a multiswitch or somthing.

They should be able to do some kind of switch if needed to integrate all three sats into your configuration. That is why I said the call needs to be escalated to a supervisor who can straighten this out.

This is definitely do-able with multiple dishes wherever. I think the cheapest is to pull off the DPP twin and put on two DP duals. Then you feed all 3 LNBs into a DPP33 and you're done. (Except for the 3 cables going to the dual node.)

This is exactly how mine was done.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)