Help. Hopper Upgrade to U110 Unusable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
tune to channel 9607 and upgrade... if you are brave or foolish, either way have an adventure

Ha, I am neither..... not looking for adventure in this case! I guess I'm just curious why they upgraded someone to the new interface a couple of days ago and yet they are still upgrading to S625. BTW I had been on S622 since some
time in December.

I guess I'm just curious why they upgraded someone to the new interface a couple of days ago and yet they are still upgrading to S625. BTW I had been on S622 since some
time in December.

Its a very slow roll out of the new UI. They only seem to be releasing it in fairly small groups, probably to keep their support staff from being overwhelmed with calls.

Defective? Not likely you could make that stick in court. Hazardous to anyone? No. So defective really comes down to convenience.

I'm not so sure they will force every HWS to CUI, at least for the near term.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You said that you were a Dish customer for 19 years. You should be able to upgrade to whatever you want or need for little or no cost but they will probably ask to commit to another two years.

You said that you were a Dish customer for 19 years. You should be able to upgrade to whatever you want or need for little or no cost but they will probably ask to commit to another two years.

That's what surprised me also. But later the DIRT rep got back to me with a very reasonable offer.

My 1st gen Hopper was just force upgraded to U110 a few days ago and it is a disaster. The Hopper is so slow and unresponsive now. I press buttons and it reacts seconds latter. Before the upgrade it was running perfect plenty fast enough for me. I did not want or need the new interface especially seeing how it has turned my viewing experience into frustration.

Is there a way to roll back software?

I already asked if I could get a free upgrade since the update has slowed down the DVR and I didn't have a choice. I was told I would have to pay for the newer hardware.

As I (and the wife) can't live with this slow interface I will probably give another service provider a try for at least a year. It's really too bad as I've been a loyal customer from almost the very beginning (19 years).
I am running the same update on my own hopper2000, without any problem, my observation with these updates sometimes mess up the hard drive, caused it to response slow, I sometimes have to switch hard drive

My 1st gen Hopper was just force upgraded to U110 a few days ago and it is a disaster. The Hopper is so slow and unresponsive now. I press buttons and it reacts seconds latter. Before the upgrade it was running perfect plenty fast enough for me. I did not want or need the new interface especially seeing how it has turned my viewing experience into frustration.

Is there a way to roll back software?

I already asked if I could get a free upgrade since the update has slowed down the DVR and I didn't have a choice. I was told I would have to pay for the newer hardware.

As I (and the wife) can't live with this slow interface I will probably give another service provider a try for at least a year. It's really too bad as I've been a loyal customer from almost the very beginning (19 years).
if it is a purchased receiver you can sell it on eBay

Sounds like what happened when Apple rolled out iOS 7 and people with older iPhone 4 phones didn't like how slow it ran, so they never upgraded. Now they're suing Apple because FaceTime was upgraded to eliminate the old protocol that Apple had used that was in violation of another company's patent. So, of course, the old iOS 6 version of FaceTime used the infringing protocol, the newer versions don't, and now those people are upset that Apple is forcing them to either upgrade to an iOS that makes their "perfectly good" iPhone 4 run like molasses or spend money to upgrade to an iPhone made in the last five years...

If you're like most people, your Dish Network bill is probably close to $100 a month now. So if Dish is offering you the latest Hopper 3 for one month's payment (even though that locks you in for another two years) it might not be a bad thing, especially if Dish waives the Tech Install fee. You get a new LNBf and Dish 1000, too.

Or, I suppose you can search for a HWS to buy which will run the Carbon UI faster than your original Hopper. That should be a simple "unplug old Hopper, plug in new HWS, call Dish with new receiver & smart card #s" and you're done.

That's what surprised me also. But later the DIRT rep got back to me with a very reasonable offer.

rstark18 How did everything work out? Does the new box run the update better?

I'm in the same boat. We've been Dish customers for years, had the original Hopper for a long time and been very happy with it. We get this forced UI update and the darn thing is slow as molasses if it even works. It starts reseting by itself and many recordings just get stuck loading. My wife is angry and my daughter is crying because her favorite recordings won't work.

We've called several times on different days and been transferred, disconnected and got conflicting answers:
1) Let's troubleshoot. Sorry for the inconvenience how bout a free PPV movie?
2) Actually, You can get the old UI back. Let me transfer you.
3) No you can't get it back and your hopper is to old to work with the new one but you can get a Hopper 3 and the upgrade fee is normally only $300 and something dollars.
4) Even if you could get the original UI back it will eventually update again and all models work better with the new UI and we can ship a new Hopper just like yours for $15 (later waived)

In preparation for the new box I was trying to move recordings to an external HDD (that had worked before the update but was now "transferring with errors.") Called in and did some more troubleshooting and the shows began to transfer and then the whole box seemed to move faster. So, I'm thinking I can just keep this and not lose old recordings. I called back to try and stop the shipment (too late) and ended up speaking to a very nice lady who helped me get 3 months of $15 credits and all seemed good.

Just got a call at work and my wife is mad again... "The DVR shows won't play... "The thing keeps saying starting up... "been on the phone again... "he says we can get the old UI back..." Here we go again!

So I start reading the forum and now I'm thinking I've got a few different options:
1) Try the new Hopper when it comes to see if it's better.
2) Try to upgrade to the Hopper 2 or 3
3) Switch services

Anyone else have thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
P.S. Sorry for the long rambling post... Just frustrated :(

I'm in the same boat. We've been Dish customers for years, had the original Hopper for a long time and been very happy with it. We get this forced UI update and the darn thing is slow as molasses if it even works. It starts reseting by itself and many recordings just get stuck loading. My wife is angry and my daughter is crying because her favorite recordings won't work.

We've called several times on different days and been transferred, disconnected and got conflicting answers:
3) No you can't get it back and your hopper is to old to work with the new one but you can get a Hopper 3 and the upgrade fee is normally only $300 and something dollars.
4) Even if you could get the original UI back it will eventually update again and all models work better with the new UI and we can ship a new Hopper just like yours for $15 (later waived)

In preparation for the new box I was trying to move recordings to an external HDD (that had worked before the update but was now "transferring with errors.") Called in and did some more troubleshooting and the shows began to transfer and then the whole box seemed to move faster. So, I'm thinking I can just keep this and not lose old recordings. I called back to try and stop the shipment (too late) and ended up speaking to a very nice lady who helped me get 3 months of $15 credits and all seemed good.

Just got a call at work and my wife is mad again... "The DVR shows won't play... "The thing keeps saying starting up... "been on the phone again... "he says we can get the old UI back..." Here we go again!

So I start reading the forum and now I'm thinking I've got a few different options:
3) Switch services

chat with DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) (red users on the main forum page). Explain to them that the UI upgrade bricked your Hopper 1 and see if they can get you a Hopper 3 with no upgrade cost. For a long-term customer $300 is way more than you should pay.

3) Switch services

Your story sounds much like mine. No matter what I tried the new UI on the Hopper 2k was incredibly slow. I would wait up to 5 seconds for some functions to register.

After I confirmed an upgrade to a Hopper 3 I started to try and backup some recordings. I hooked up a 1tb HD and over a few days did 3/4 of the shows I wanted saved. Then when I went to do the rest of the shows I noticed the HD was not spinning. I unplugged it and started it back up again. "Click, click, click, click. Noooooooo! HD died. Talk about timing. All of those show are poof, gone. I have plenty of smaller drives laying around (200gb and 500gb drives). None of them would format no matter what I tried. So in the end I couldn't transfer any recordings. Oh well.

As far as the upgrade, it went great. The tech installed a new LNB. I already had the old Hopper removed for him so he just plugged it right in. It too about half an hour to program and do all the checks and updates and that was it.
I sat down for about an hour and started programming all the normal recordings I watch which went very smooth.
The UI responsiveness of the Hopper 3 is LIGHTYEARS faster than the Hopper 2k. I am VERY happy with the upgrade.

You really should use the DIRT reps on this forum for any customer service needs. They are much more willing to help. That's what I did and they gave me an outstanding upgrade price. That reminds me I need to pm him and thank him again. If I could I'd send him a case of beer.

Reactions: Foxbat
rstark18 How did everything work out? Does the new box run the update better?3) Switch services

I have had this happen with my Hopper after installing the new software. I then called to get the Hopper replaced. Before the new Hopper arrived, I discovered that the original Hopper worked much better if I unplugged my EHDs. The new hopper has been acting strangely as well. Unplugging my EHDs seems to have helped with this Hopper as well. I now keep my EHDs unplugged unless I want to move something to or from one of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)