Help! How long should it take for a manual software update (H3)?

once i unpaired my 40 remote, the update took under 30 minutes. start to finish !!
before i unpaired the remote, constant reboots (10??). i had the joeys unplugged from power, and my ehd usb unplugged. still constant reboots downloading the update. it would always reboot at the same download progress spot also. i had the tv on watching progress, letting the box shut off and do what it wanted to do.
coincidence ?? i don't know. but its super easy to try. nothing to loose,

Well, once she got to the point of silly things (is your power button on the Hopper stuck?) I convinced her I just need to replace it. I'm on the protection plan so cost is not an issue. To get a tech out will take until Friday, so she's sending the H3 to me directly because she suspects it will be here Weds.

BUT - I will try that remote trick first!

Holy crap. I unpaired the 40 remote. Put the H3 in standby. The download screen came on, as it has for the last 15 hours or so of this ordeal. Got to about 95% which is where it has gotten before.

Then it kept filling. And filling. And filling. Until it completely filled.

And now instead of the restart loop I'm at a screen I've never seen before - Warning - your receiver's memory is now being programmed. Do not disturb or unplug your receiver!

I think you did it! How in the world did you ever think to unpair a 40 remote as a fix for an endless download/restart loop?

And mods - how do we somehow put this in a form such that anyone who tries to update their H3 and gets stuck in a loop can easily find this information?

JS_racer - I owe you a big one!!! (Unpair the 40 remote? LOL!)

I think you did it! How in the world did you ever think to unpair a 40 remote as a fix for an endless download/restart loop?

And mods - how do we somehow put this in a form such that anyone who tries to update their H3 and gets stuck in a loop can easily find this information?

JS_racer - I owe you a big one!!! (Unpair the 40 remote? LOL!)
Hmmm....all I can think of is that the remote holds all the timers, favorites etc. to download onto a new Hopper or repopulate an old one that has been corrupted. Maybe the Hopper looked to the remote and would not change because the old configuration on the remote took precedence.

It worked! Just checked and it's at 336. Recorded a program (and now I remember why I dislike the 52 remote - took me forever to figure out how to simply record a program, so used to my 40!) and it immediately showed up on the DVR list.

Now to go back to my 40 remote. I suppose I'll just have to unpair it and manually update when a new update comes out. Wonder if there's someone at Dish who knows about this issue?

Hmmm....all I can think of is that the remote holds all the timers, favorites etc. to download onto a new Hopper or repopulate an old one that has been corrupted. Maybe the Hopper looked to the remote and would not change because the old configuration on the remote took precedence.

my 40 was new, only paired to the H3, nothing else prior to.

Interesting that it seemed to be the trick, but that's ridiculous ! Dish needs to be aware of this and look into it if this is truly an issue.

your #2 now !! people told me i was crazy when i recommended it before.
they said you had to talk nice to it, rub it, give it space, and when it wants to it will update. lol

I wish I knew a way to get this to Dish such that their top tech people see it, and also can distribute it to their tech support people. And fix it. I repaired it but now I know.

And what's really ironic? The entire reason I wanted the 336 update was to fix the "spin up" problem with my EHD, where it won't play a program on it unless I select a program, get the spin up message, go back to the guide, choose a station different from what it's on, then go back to the EHD - then it will play programs (for a short time) with no problem. That's what I wanted to fix on my H3.

and the 336 update did not fix it! Argh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)