HELP! I locked myself out!

GabeNet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 5, 2004
I was messing around in the settings and the advanced settings (988) and decided to try 966. This brings up an option to enable "Demo mode." I enabled it and backed out of the menus. Nothing had changed so I tried to get back to the settings menu but there was now a lock on it! :eek: I tried a few of the most obvoius pins, 0000, 1234, 9999, 1111, etc. but to no avail. Does anyone know the pin to unlock the demo mode? Do you think that leaving the stb unpluged will reset it? I know a simple reset does not remove it. Any help is much appreciated!

Umm... Try unplugging/plugging stb. If that does not work, you may ask one of the csrs to send a hit to your stb and unlock it. I am assuming that this work like the parental control and csr's have been able to unlock it in the past by sending a hit to the box.

Unplugging the stb, waiting a while, and then replugging it does not reset it. I guess I have to call a csr, if I can get one on the phone.

ChetK said:
When you call, press 1 on your phone. When someone answers, tell them to transfer you to customer service. :D

I tried this but when they sent me to customer service it still went back to the old music and hold garbage.

For the record, I did the same "demo" mistake and I haven't been able to change it for a week. :shocked

Yeah, you have to sit on hold after they transfer you, but at least it won't hang up on you like it would if you pressed 2 instead of 1 at the beginning.

GabeNet said:
I was messing around in the settings and the advanced settings (988) and decided to try 966. This brings up an option to enable "Demo mode." I enabled it and backed out of the menus. Nothing had changed so I tried to get back to the settings menu but there was now a lock on it!
That's why VOOM STB FAQ has the following warning:
make sure to setup your pin code before switching to Demo mode!
I guess I should make it in red :)

I don't know of any easy way to reset it except for calling the customer service and asking them to re-initialize your STB remotely. :(

It figures there was something on this forum warning me not to do it. I was on hold for an hour last night and finally gave up, I guess I have to try again today....and probably the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that.......

bbqman said:
:confused: Ok, I'll bite, what is Demo Mode?
It's a mode designed for in-store VOOM demonstration (at Sears, etc.). It limits the number of channels and locks system settings with a pin code, so kids in the store would not mess it up :)
Nothing interesting really...

Ilya, maybe you can add the demo mode description to the STB FAQ so that others will not be tempted to see what demo mode is and get burned like I did.

Just a thought.

Ok. Let us know how that re-initialization works for you. (Call them late at night. It might be easier to get through.)

I tried calling last night at about 11:40pm eastern and was on hold for an hour before I gave up and went to bed. I called just a few minutes ago at 1:12pm (using the second number 1-800-641-3746, I don't know if there is something special about it or not, but it worked) and the thing didnt even ring before a csr picked up. I told her that I locked myself into demo mode and she hit the box with a pin reset for me. She said that if that did not work to call back. I am at work right now so when I get home I will see if that fixed it.

Lets see if this number works 92121. This is the postal zip code for Motorola in San Diego, Ca. This is the master P/W for the Motorola C Band and Starchoice receivers. It works for them give it a try.

Let us know if it works. Ilya can then add this to the tips & tricks section.

Ah, too late to try the zipcode, when I got home I immediately went to settings and it was unlocked. I went to the demo mode screen and turned the mode back to normal. All fixed up now. So if you happen to do what I did and lock yourself out using demo mode you have to call the csr's and ask for them to do a pin reset and you can get back in. Lesson learned.

GabeNet said:
Ah, too late to try the zipcode, when I got home I immediately went to settings and it was unlocked. I went to the demo mode screen and turned the mode back to normal. All fixed up now. So if you happen to do what I did and lock yourself out using demo mode you have to call the csr's and ask for them to do a pin reset and you can get back in. Lesson learned.
Come on try to lock it out again. I'm curious if the zip code will work. :cool:

The funniest part of the whole thing had to be the csr's reaction to it. I told her that I was messing around with it and had "somehow gotten it into demo mode" and that I needed the pin reset. When it was done she jokingly chastised me for messing with it and told me not to do anything like that again. I laughed and said ok.

I dunno, it was just funny.

And no cpdretired, I don't want to lock myself out again for fear of more browbeating from the csr's. :D

I did what you said Gabenet and it worked for a little while but everytime I go into the system settings and come back out the locks are on parental control and system settings. EVEn if I didnt' set a pin!!!!!

I guess it is time to give the csrs a call and have them do a pin reset. Go into system settings and turn demo mode off FIRST. Don't go to the security menu or you will get locked out again and have to call them back for another pin reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts