Help? I need some direction

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

packman95

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
I know this is asked often on these boards but this is a big decision and i have tried to do my homework. I have Charter and have dealt with them for the last time. I do not know which direction to go Dish or DTV. This is what i come up with from what i can tell: (Dish)HD Gold + local channels + HBO + Equipment Fees after all the specials run out in 10 months is 95.96 + tax. (D TV) Total choice Plus + HBO + HD Package + DVR after 4 months is 77.97 + tax. I know that dish is 199 up front and D tv is 299 up front but if you look at it for the long run D TV looks like the way to go as far as price goes. I know what Dish has the more channels but most of them are movie channels. I watch some movies and enjoy them in HD but 90 % of my viewing is network channels and sports (ESPN). I have done the comparision and for the similar packages for the 18 month commitment with Dish + the equipment dish is 19 dollars more total.

By the way my zipcode is 28601.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If sports is your preference, then D* is your choice. Plug your zipcode in at www.antennaweb.org to see what locals you have available to you and what it might take to receive them over the air vs. from the sat. providers. You'd probably end up doing that anyway with either service as HD OTA picture quality is (generally) superior to what you'll receive from either service, if they have it at all...

packman95 said:
I know this is asked often on these boards but this is a big decision and i have tried to do my homework. I have Charter and have dealt with them for the last time. I do not know which direction to go Dish or DTV. This is what i come up with from what i can tell: (Dish)HD Gold + local channels + HBO + Equipment Fees after all the specials run out in 10 months is 95.96 + tax. (D TV) Total choice Plus + HBO + HD Package + DVR after 4 months is 77.97 + tax. I know that dish is 199 up front and D tv is 299 up front but if you look at it for the long run D TV looks like the way to go as far as price goes. I know what Dish has the more channels but most of them are movie channels. I watch some movies and enjoy them in HD but 90 % of my viewing is network channels and sports (ESPN). I have done the comparison and for the similar packages for the 18 month commitment with Dish + the equipment dish is 19 dollars more total.

By the way my zipcode is 28601.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you have done your homework and just want someone to agree with you! Great job on your part. Many come here just for answers without doing any searching on their part, first. This is alright too. But you really are the only one that really know your needs and you are going to pay the bills.

I have both D* & E* HD and have posted many times how pleased I am with DISH's HD 29 channels of programing and that I receive all my Locals HD OTA. Also happy with DISH's VIP MPEG4 DVR.

Never would have thought that DISH would be higher over the long run, but when D* adds to their HD programing (Fall 07?) I would think they would increase their fees close to what DISH is now charging for their services.

I only have D* now since I have a large investment in their equipment and do use it everyday to record SD programing and some back-up HD programs. Many are happy to go with and or wait for Directv to "catch-up" to DISH as the HD leader. In you case if Sports is what you are interested in maybe D* should be your choice, however we follow NBA & NASCAR and didn't have to use Directv to enjoy all games that we wanted to watch and record this past season.

On the other hand if you have an investment in HD and really enjoy watching it you would be better suited to go with DISH in my opinion and enjoy it NOW!

In another year there could be a more clear-cut answer than what you may read now. It's not always about the money but enjoyment in what it brings. Kind of like having a $700 optional sun roof on your new car. If you use it and enjoy it, it was worth the price. If not, it was a waist of money. Again just my .02.

I appreciate both of you responses. The sports i watch mostly are college football and college basketball. I would not subscribe to the NFL Sunday ticket. My only worry is that i will not have great reception over the air. I am about 55 miles from Charlotte if you draw a direct line from my house. Rickaren, is dish's 622 better than D TV's HD DVR? I see and have read about a lot of minor issues with the 622!

Thanks in advance for the help

packman95 said:
I appreciate both of you responses. The sports i watch mostly are college football and college basketball. I would not subscribe to the NFL Sunday ticket. My only worry is that i will not have great reception over the air. I am about 55 miles from Charlotte if you draw a direct line from my house. Rickaren, is dish's 622 better than D TV's HD DVR? I see and have read about a lot of minor issues with the 622!

Thanks in advance for the help

If you do a search you will find some great comparisons of the two, but to be fair the present Directv Tivo HD MPEG2 DVR is now obsolete and will be replaced with a newer MPEG 4 non-tivo DVR maybe later this year. Why would you care? Well if you can't get Local OTA HD you will need it to receive them from D* What will the up-grade price be and will it be a good DVR? Time will tell.

Always see issues posted on all receivers and DVR's. How many don't have or post their issues? Many units work well with no reported problems. Had a 942 DVR and up-graded it to a VIP MPEG4 622 with install of a DISH 1000 for $299 with a $200 rebate. Really like it and find few if any issues.

Have had DVRs since 1999 and still think many are heat related. I learned after considerable expenses (cool boxes and fans) and replacements that they need a lot of air and can't be put into entertainment centers.

Yes issues on both (check out http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo)
but keep in mind the present Directv HD DVR will NOT pick up HD Locals from D* if available, since it is MPEG2 only.

So just using the DVR as a determining factor could be the wrong way to go. Again good luck and enjoy which ever way you go.

PS You might search and look around and view more comments and view here and in other Discussion Groups (D* & E*) as to what others are doing. It has been well discussed in the last several months. I have used these type of Groups to buy and build and up-grade my present Home Theater and will continue to do so in the future. My paid memberships have more than once keep me from making costly mistakes. Membership is an investment in your future enjoyment, too.

are the best deals dealing with Dish direct or should i go through another retailer? Also is there anything in particular i should ask for that is better than something that they may try to force on me? Since it is the first time with sat. then i want to get as much as i can and get the correct hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts