Help Identify this Unique Folding Satellite Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Does anyone have any info on this satellite dish?
105_0505.jpg 105_0504.jpg 105_0506.jpg

I recently was given a portable 7.5-8' folding satellite dish and unable to find any information other than a similar design on an expired patent. There is no stamping, plates or other branding or ID.

The construction is aluminum, fiberglass rods, stainless steel wires with metal embedded fabric.

The subreflector is missing so will probably have to convert to a direct feed.

I have seen similar KU Prime focus units at NAB and Satellite Expo marketed for military communications. Never have seen this type of folding L or C-band set-up. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you!

that reminds me a bit of the dishes that were used with Inmarsat A terminals (think CNN reporters during Desert Storm). Of course those used with Inmarsat were a lot smaller, but otherwise the idea was the same, I think.

Reactions: Titanium
I associate that with Echohosphere (not DISH) and a trade show for "C" band,, probably in the 80's. I don't remember much except you could throw a ball into the mesh and it returned back to shape.

BITD there was mention of a folding C Band dish, along with photos, in Coop's Satellite Digest. Don't remember the details or know if this is the same one. Could it be that old?

Reactions: Titanium and N5XZS
I think that is a very cool dish. I'd love to see a signal from it. Is it an umbrella? is it a table umbrella? oh, no - wait, what?? It's a satellite dish.. :eek:

No clue as to the age. It could be from the 80's, but it is in very good condition and stored indoors. Looks to be mil spec or ??? Very light at approx. 21lbs.

Mounting it on a heavy duty two axis security camera mount and controlling the AZ/EL via PTZ RS485 and a CCTV install meter. Skew will be with a Chapparal manual skew controller. Might try a simple Arduino project to integrate the dual axis and polarity servo controls for automatic tracking.

Trying to decide if the mount will be a truck receiver hitch insert or a surplus communications mast tripod.

Unsure why I am doing this project or how it will be used, but for now my goal is to have it on display as eye candy for our ham radio club Field Day in June. Automating the AZ/EL for continuous arc sweep and light the feed and parabola with blue projection LED lamps.

Will post photos and videos as the project progresses.

I actually have one of those in storage at a relative's house in SD from when we cleared out a property years ago.

The front reflector looked like a metal serving plate with a plastic piece protruding from it, supported by 3 legs.
With single polarity LNB that twisted in the back, almost like a cassegrain type of an antenna.
There is also a fancy chrome tripod that went along with it, that folded up like the antenna does.

There was a round pivot that bolted to the frame and this "sat" in the tripod.

It will be several months before I am back to where this is located, but I do remember using this in the mid '90s as a site survey antenna for real restricted sites (trees, etc).

If you can hang on for a while, I should be able to get you some measurements of plate that is on front of antenna.

Travis

I had initially researched Inmarsat but I don't believe that it was an Inmarsat dish due to the larger size and as it has a CPR229 LNB mount on the rear from the waveguide. The design is similar though to the 1.2m Magnavox, but uses a wire hub to shape the parabola when tensioned.

I had initially researched Inmarsat but I don't believe that it was an Inmarsat dish due to the larger size and as it has a CPR229 LNB mount on the rear from the waveguide. The design is similar though to the 1.2m Magnavox, but uses a wire hub to shape the parabola when tensioned.
Good point - Inmarsat would have been for L-Band, so a very different LNA/LNB. And it seems the Inmarsat Std-A dishes were in the 1 meter - maybe 1.5 meter range

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)