Help in choosing right antenna

CodyS

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2018
Tuttle
Hi ,
I recently cut the cord on my satellite and I am wondering which antenna would work best for me. Here is what tv fool gives me. Also is it possible to pickup some of the gray channels ? If not no biggie. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cody Screenshot_20180806-105519_Opera Mini.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-105534_Opera Mini.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-105534_Opera Mini.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 235
It shouldn't require a whole lot of antenna to pick up all of the channels marked with LOS. Going forward you'll have two VHF-high channels (RF7 and RF9) so you probably don't want to cut yourself off at the knees by using a UHF-only antenna. I'd guess that as long as you don't have designs on burying your antenna in an attic or basement, pretty much any 30-50 mile antenna would do for a household. For a single TV, an indoor antenna (that supports RF7) may work fine.

Something along the lines of the Channel Master CM-3010HD (~$20) is what I'd be looking at.

If you can't live without KBZC, you'll need to go through some hoops otherwise all the other towers are within 5 degrees of each other.

This is the link for me it changed for some reason was on my phone when i did it before

Radar-All.png

This is the other one it appears if i use cs vs county street i get different results
so which one should i beileve? Also antenna will be on outside how high should i go?

Radar-All (1).png

Generally, as high as you can. Mine is on the highest peak, with a five foot pole.

But there’s still a lot of art to this. Rarely, a lower antenna will get a better picture, anecdotely. Moving an antenna a few feet horizontally may make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

You REALLY NEED TO DETERMINE WHICH IS CORRECT FOR YOUR ADDRESS, LOS and 2 edge are 2 really different results, different antennas will be needed for 2 edge. Line of Sight could basically get away with rabbit ears.

Ok I put coordinates in instead of address a majority are LOS. I have an indoor antenna but struggle on pulling in the high vhf stations.
20180807_104137.png

I have an indoor antenna but struggle on pulling in the high vhf stations.
Getting an outdoor antenna with some VHF chops should fix that. Outside of rabbit ears, most indoor antennas are relatively lacking in VHF. Yours is particularly lacking if it can't pull in KETA.

The 1 edge stations may require a little more oomph and make a directional antenna even more important. Anything you can do to elevate the antenna will probably help. There's a reason some consider Oklahoma to be relatively flat (it appears to slope fairly gently from the pan handle down to the SE corner).

You'll have to put a value on KTOU, KUOK and KLHO as they're out of line from the other stations with pretty wimpy transmitters.

I can get koco but not keta
It is possible that the antenna's design has a bump at the low end of the VHF high band in order to give the appearance of better specs than it really has. The gain curves are not always gently sloped and the figures cited are averages.

You might try temporarily moving your indoor antenna outdoors in the direction of the towers to see if the reception improves on KETA. If it doesn't, it could be that your antenna has a dead spot on RF13.

It shouldn't require a whole lot of antenna to pick up all of the channels marked with LOS. Going forward you'll have two VHF-high channels (RF7 and RF9) so you probably don't want to cut yourself off at the knees by using a UHF-only antenna. I'd guess that as long as you don't have designs on burying your antenna in an attic or basement, pretty much any 30-50 mile antenna would do for a household. For a single TV, an indoor antenna (that supports RF7) may work fine.

Something along the lines of the Channel Master CM-3010HD (~$20) is what I'd be looking at.

If you can't live without KBZC, you'll need to go through some hoops otherwise all the other towers are within 5 degrees of each other.
I'll second the CM-3010HD for an under $25 UHF/VHF small antenna for outside mounting. Ebay has many listed with free shipping.

Will the cm 3090 mast work with this antenna. It says universal but some reviews says it isn't.

The antenna appears to come with two U-bolts so it should clamp right on. This antenna is relatively easy as it has no overhang on the back side.

Any complications with using the CM-3090 probably have more to do with trying to mount a huge antenna on a wall or steeply pitched roof such that the elements don't clear the surrounding surfaces.

Ok need some help I put the 3010HD antenna with the cm 3090 mast. I get 50 channels over the 23 from before but channel 4 kfor and 34 kocb pixelate alot and cant watch it i moved the antenna a few times but nothing helped. Is it because i have it split between two tvs? Or am i not moving it enough in the right direction.

Ok need some help I put the 3010HD antenna with the cm 3090 mast. I get 50 channels over the 23 from before but channel 4 kfor and 34 kocb pixelate alot and cant watch it i moved the antenna a few times but nothing helped. Is it because i have it split between two tvs? Or am i not moving it enough in the right direction.
Cody where do you have the antenna aimed? Your asking us if you moved the antenna enough, we can't see you moving the antenna so you will have to give us more information.

I had it pointed northeast but once I moved it more east it seems to be fine now don't know why

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)