Help in setting up FTA system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I am in need help in setting up my FTA equipment. Specifically which is the best satellite to tune to (C-band or Ku) on my DSR-922 and how to get a strong channel on my MICRO HD.
I have a 10 foot winegard dish with C/Ku capability connected to a DSR-922 which has the TDT maxed out so I can`t load new maps.
I appreciate any help or suggestions from a forum member who is willing to share their experience.
Thanks

Hi, has your dish been used in the past? I mean, do you know that it probably is tracking the satellite arc, or have you just assembled and installed your dish? Dish actuator working? If you plan to use the 922 for moving the dish, I'll defer to someone else with experience with those receivers, don't know how to reset them. Or even if you should, once the TDT count maxes..

turbosat: Thanks for your reply.
I am planning to use my 922 to move the dish. The dish is properly aligned and the actuator is functional.

Do you have a switch, 22Khz or Diseqc, to select Ku or C bands? Guess it's best to list ALL equipment. LNB/LNBF?

Yes why don't you list your full set-up and we will go from there.

Yes I have a Diseq to select C or Ku bands and NORSAT LNBs.
Sorry I didn`t list this in earlier posts.

OK, I'll give it a try. Check TheList (top of page) for channels on satellite. Another resource is at http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html Get the transponder information: Freq/Polarity/SR for a channel on a satellite you want to get.
Think I'd try for C band first, Ku is a lot 'tougher' that C on a bud. Has to be aligned to the utmost. Maybe 99W (G-16) Or the one as close to directly to your south.
Use only Horizontal when scanning with the micro, (Supplies 18v to the LNB's - many don't like the 13v when Vertical is selected) Select polarity with the 4DTV.
In the micro's tune up screen select an active transponder (as listed in above resources) and bump the dish a bit, wait 10 sec or so for the micro to lock the signal and display Quality. Repeat until it's aquired and maxed out. Program location.** This is assuming the dish IS tracking the arc.
www.dishpointer.com may also be helpfull
**How to program positions into the 4DTV receiver is beyond me. Someone with 4DTV knowledge should be checking in. OR start another thread titled something like DSR 922 programming help, in the C band section may 'shake a tree'.

FaTAir: Thanks for the reply and help in getting me started. I have the sats programmed in my 922 so I`ll start with G-16 as you suggested and report back. It may be a few days as we are away for the weekend.

I am in need help in setting up my FTA equipment. Specifically which is the best satellite to tune to (C-band or Ku) on my DSR-922 and how to get a strong channel on my MICRO HD.
I have a 10 foot winegard dish with C/Ku capability connected to a DSR-922 which has the TDT maxed out so I can`t load new maps.
I appreciate any help or suggestions from a forum member who is willing to share their experience.
Thanks

The best way to help you, is to first find out your ultimate goal. Do you plan on using your 922 to view fta DCII programing (there are a few open channels, channels open up frequently for an hour or two, sometimes a day or two)? As far as the TDT count goes, remapping will take care of that, as well as giving you satellite tiles almost for every orbital position available to us here in the states.

I have been slaving an fta receiver off of my 4dtv for about 7 yrs now. My DSR 920 will power the lnbs (norsat) and move the dish. Powering the lnbs with the 4dtv is desirable because the norsats work best with a steady voltage of around 19 volts, and they have a rather high current demand. Not many fta receivers have strong enough power supplies to do this efficiently.

In order to do this you will need two satellite splitters (one for C band and one for Ku band) with one side power passing and the other side DC voltage blocking with a frequency range of 5 to 2300 mhz. You will also need a diseqc switch for the fta receiver to select between C and Ku bands. The diseqc switch and the fta receiver will go on the DC blocking side of the splitter. That will protect your switch from voltage feeding back into it, and also protect your switch from High current which can harm it. I have included a diagram to make it easier to understand.

Bud-Slave-kit.gif

If you will be looking to view Ku birds you will most likely have to do some adjusting to your dish in order to get the best possible signal. 101w (W4 in the old maps) has the pentagon channel at 11820 H, which is a pretty strong transponder.

Last edited:
mmewrench:
Your post was most helpful.
I would like to use my 922 to view DCII FTA programming. Remapping is beyond my capability. I have been trying to find a reputable vendor to do this for me. My other intent is is to use the Micro HD FOR FTA, mostly on C-Band. I have the splitters and Diseq switch both which meet the specs you stipulated Ijust need to make sure that I have them configured per your diagram.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
CS

I'm happy to help, especially when someone wants to use their bud for Ku band. It takes a lot of fine tuning but its well worth it. I would be happy to help you with remapping, but your license plate tells me that we are a bit too far apart for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for your offer of help, I neglected to mention that my 922 is due for a battery replacement. Because of a recent health issue my left hand is not fully functional so I am unable to perform this task.
CS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)