Help installing a motorized system...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
HI Sam,
I am sorry that I used terms that confused you. I very much like Brian's approach using the USALS.

Don't worry about S.R. and vertical for now.

FYI the magnetic transmission waves that are transmitted in the KU band are either horizontal (H) or vertical (V) or in the case of Dishnetwork satellites they are circular (C). The H/V waves are known also known as Linear (L).

Hence the C and L on your LNB.
Bob

Hi Brian

I'm going to try to aim at one of the satellites you recommended the next chance I get to play around with this. Does it matter that my TP freq don't correspond exactly to the ones you have below? The ViewSat Ultra doesn't seem to have those exact numbers.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Bob

Thanks for clarifying... I didn't know there were two kinds of Linear waves. I'd like to find something that gives me more background on the differences and also explains the difference between Ku and Ka and the HD stuff eventually.

Thanks
Sam

The transponder frequencies need to be within a few MHz of the posted frequencies. Iceburg has posted an excellent thread of the satellites listing the transponders that will provide the easiest aiming. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=85225

Hi Brian

I'm going to try to aim at one of the satellites you recommended the next chance I get to play around with this. Does it matter that my TP freq don't correspond exactly to the ones you have below? The ViewSat Ultra doesn't seem to have those exact numbers.

Thanks
Sam

Yes I read it... however it unfortunately includes SBS-6 as a 24/7 strong signal bird... Thanks for the information about the variation on frequencies.

I'm so completely and utterly frustrated. Sadly I think I've regressed here... I can't seem to lock in any of those satellites nor even get quality now... I get 70+ signal strength but no quality on AMC5 12182.

Is it possible that my mounting pole isn't 100% vertical and that's what's causing all these issues? I mean I would have thought I'd at least be able to lock in one of these satellites but maybe not be able to properly follow the Clarke's Belt arch if it wasn't perfect but maybe I'm wrong.

This is making me lose sleep... I wish I was kidding :)

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam,
Sorry to hear of you frustration, It is possible that the pole is not perfect. However, as you stated, that would cause trouble following the Clarke belt.

Just to double check, you have zeroed your motor and aimed it TS, tightened the mast clamp, then motored over the AMC 5 at 79°W. Then, after loosening the mast clamp, slowly move the dish/motor assembly 1/16" at a time first left up to 10 degrees and then right slowly 1/16" then wait for the signal to register - 10 seconds or so for each 1/16" turn on the mast up to 10 degrees. If no signal raise or lower the dish 1 or 2 degrees and repeat the left and right sweeps as above.

If you would like - click on private messages (PM) on the left of the page and send me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call.
Bob

Also, it is a Viewsat receiver, so the motor may not be properly moving to the correct location.

Sorry to hear about the frustrations!

Hello

I wanted to give you a status update. I fixed up my mounting post yesterday to make sure it was as perfectly upright as I could. It's pretty close right now like I said it's too high for me to get it absolutely perfect. This is really pretty good though. Since I've done this I think things have improved. I can't pane too far from true south though. I'm trying to do a blind scan on AMC4 right now since that's going from pretty far from AMC5 which I believe I can pick up. It doesn't look good in terms of moving the dish that far but I'm not sure if that's related to the issues with the ViewSat or if I'm not aligned perfectly.

If this blind scan fails, I'm going to try to decide whether or not I should try to adjust the dish to pick up AMC4 if I should just call it quits and see what I can pick up now.

I'll post any more progress reports as I find more out. This blind scan is slow though so I'm not sure if I'm going to have much more for the evening.

Thanks
Sam

I think things are looking good... I'm not 100% sure yet. How do I know I'm on the right satellite? Is it possible to accidently be picking up another bird?

Thanks
Sam

finding your way

I think things are looking good... I'm not 100% sure yet.
Finally! Some good news! :cool:
Is it possible to accidently be picking up another bird?
You betcha it is! :)
How do I know I'm on the right satellite?
Take a look at the contents of any one transponder on Lyngsat, and compare to what you have found.
Now look at the satellites to either side of the one you think you are on.
Use these lists of satellites, transponders, and channels if it is any easier:
FTAlist
Global

Well I'm supposed to be pointing to AMC-6 but I'm picking up a hell of a lot more than 2 channels! Problem most of the channels I see on my receiver I don't see on the lists you sent me... I guess they are restricted?? Not sure...

I have a feeling I'm on Nimiq 2. I can explain but long winded... let me know if you want to hear it.

Thanks
Sam

Ok here goes...

Basically I think I'm on Nimiq 2 because of the following reasons:
1) I'm seeing "Nimiq 2" displaying on the bar of the box sometimes when I'm playing with the antenna setup of other satellites
2) Some of the stations look like "ABCHE", "NBCHW", etc... doesnt' sound like FTA stations to me...
3) I was locking in channels on it earlier when I was trying to get SBS-6
4) I tried to Auto Scan Nimiq 2 which was set to USALS just to test my theory. When the dish moved to what it thought was "Nimiq 2" it lost all signal to the satellite... doesn't make sense that it picks up signal from that bird when it's at 72 but not at 82

Does that sound convincing to you? or at least like a possibility? If so how do I proceed from here because the receiver thinks it pointing to AMC-6 (72) but it's really picking up Nimiq 2 (82) so the motor is never going to move properly using USALS.

It's possible I guess that the signal is just stronger on Nimiq 2 but I don't know how to tell which is the case.

Any advice?

Thanks
Sam

Are you using just the "L" side of your LNB? If so then, if it is Nimiq 2, it is strange because Nimiq 2 is Circular only. You might hook up to the "C" side and set up your receiver for Standard (not universal) and set the LO (local oscillator) to 11250. Scan and see what you get. I think it is possible to get so much signal coming from a DBS satellite (like Nimiq 2) that you will pick up something even on a linear LNB.
Bob

CVMCS - Confused Viewsat Motor Control Syndrome, is a known ailment that cripples an otherwise well performing receiver.

I had tested two sample Viewsats, a Platinum and an Extreme. Both would erratically move to incorrect satellite locations and forget programmed satellite locations. Both receivers seemed to handle two USALS positions or multiple DiSEqC positions, but they would work correctly for a few days then out of the blue get confused. Never had much luck moving to three or more satellites.

I now have both Viewsats resting comfortably on the shelf above my desk. They collect dust very well and no longer get lost in space!

Are you using just the "L" side of your LNB? If so then, if it is Nimiq 2, it is strange because Nimiq 2 is Circular only.

Well initially I took your advice and used only the L side of my LNB. That's how I aimed the dish. At this point I'm connected to the switch with both C and L.

You might hook up to the "C" side and set up your receiver for Standard (not universal) and set the LO (local oscillator) to 11250. Scan and see what you get. I think it is possible to get so much signal coming from a DBS satellite (like Nimiq 2) that you will pick up something even on a linear LNB.
Bob

I think I was picking up these channels with only the L as well (at least initially). Is that possible then? What's the difference between Standard and Universal?

Thanks
Sam

standard and universal are two different types of lnb's with different lof/h and one requiring a 22khz tone (universal). choose the one that match's your lnb. the invacom qph-031 is a standard 10750 lof/h lnb.

CVMCS - Confused Viewsat Motor Control Syndrome, is a known ailment that cripples an otherwise well performing receiver.

I had tested two sample Viewsats, a Platinum and an Extreme. Both would erratically move to incorrect satellite locations and forget programmed satellite locations. Both receivers seemed to handle two USALS positions or multiple DiSEqC positions, but they would work correctly for a few days then out of the blue get confused. Never had much luck moving to three or more satellites.

I now have both Viewsats resting comfortably on the shelf above my desk. They collect dust very well and no longer get lost in space!

Brian

I actually turned off USALS or any motor functionality this time around except to aim the dish at AMC-6. Basically I told it to go to AMC-6 then I I just scanned for channels. No motor involved. I'm figuring right now if the ViewSat sucks at motor control I'll try to use it in another room and get a new receiver. However, first I want to get things working so I'm not deeper in this with no results.

Thanks
Sam

So you can get your system up and running to just enjoy viewing programming for a while .....

Perform a Factory Reset on the receiver.

Remove the dish from the Motor and mount directly on the mast.

Connect the L output of the QPH-031 LNBF directly to the the receiver.

Set the receiver and a small TV next to the dish.

Set up your Viewsat receiver to these settings in the Antenna Setup screen:
  • Satellite - Intelsat 5 (not 5/C)
  • LNB Type - STANDARD
  • LNB Frequency - 10750
  • 22KHz - OFF
  • TP Frequency - 12177
  • Search Option - FTA
  • DiSEqC 1.0 - NONE
  • Motor - NONE

Dish information:
  • Standing in front of the dish looking into the dish and at the back of the LNBF, rotate the LNBF Counter Clockwise (left) +24 degrees.
  • With the dish mounted on a perfectly plum post, set the dish elevation angle to 37 degrees using the straight piece of metal visible through the elevation scale to the left side of the elevation locking nut.
  • Take a compass reading near the dish, but stay at least 4 or 5 feet away from the dish so the metal of the reflector does not affect the magnetic reading. With the arrow aimed directly at North, reference 225 degrees (SW) and identify a landmark like a telephone pole or building near the horizon (as far away as possible) that lines up with this reading. Aim the LNBF arm at this landmark. This is a reference point for the aiming process.
Now reference the TV screen and make slow, sweeping movements 125 degrees to the east of the landmark to 15 degrees to the west of the landmark. If you see the signal level jump up, but not the quality, you are on a satellite, but not the correct one. If no Signal Quality reading is found, increase the elevation by one degree and slowly sweep the small area of the horizon again. Repeat this process, increasing or decreasing the elevation one degree at a time until the Signal Quality reading indicates the highest percentage.

Once a quality signal is indicated and peaked, perform a Blind Scan.

When the Blind Scan is completed ..... Save, Exit and Enjoy!

Attachments

• Rochelle_Park_NJ_GeoSatFinder.pdf
    164.8 KB · Views: 199
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)