Help me get a signal?

Prototype

Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Okotoks AB currently
I'm currently in Okotoks AB, Canada. I have a 1000.2 antenna and a VIP722 that I would like to get set up. For the life of me, I can't find the signals. Can someone help me out with approximating where I should point? Thanks in advance.

But if you are RVing you can still try to use the equipment.

Actually, are you allowed to? I don't know the answer, but the Dish signal is not meant to be received outside their service area. I only bring it up as to discussions how to go against the user policy for dish and for here are not really allowed. Maybe RV's are an exception......

Actually, are you allowed to? I don't know the answer, but the Dish signal is not meant to be received outside their service area. I only bring it up as to discussions how to go against the user policy for dish and for here are not really allowed. Maybe RV's are an exception......

The place he is is like only 20 something miles N of the border. He says currently sounds like traveling to me.

I am travelling.. Sort of, I'm up at my grandparents right now and will be here for about 2 months. I brought my equipment with me to use while I stay here. They got BEV, but in my opinion, it sucks. I still wasn't able to get a signal though. I'll try again after I can get some more co-ax and put the tripod and dish up on the roof.

I'll be going back and forth between here and my home in the States. My permanent resident is in the States so I doubt Dish will have a problem.. When I go back, I'll get another dish and set it up again there so I won't have the problem finding a signal again. Thanks for caring though guys. haha

Edited to add: I have the thread set to send me emails when I get replies but it isn't working? So sorry about not coming back sooner.

I believe it is agaist Canadian law to receive subcription services from outside of Canada, while in Canada. This is not the case in the US as it is not illegal to receive subscription satellite signals from abroad. It may violate subscriber policy for various services. I have a full Bell subscription, besides being a loyal DISH subscriber.

I believe it is agaist Canadian law to receive subcription services from outside of Canada, while in Canada. This is not the case in the US as it is not illegal to receive subscription satellite signals from abroad. It may violate subscriber policy for various services. I have a full Bell subscription, besides being a loyal DISH subscriber.
If he is from the US and has a subscription at his home in the US then it is not illegal to receive those signals in Canada. It is "illegal" to get them there if you live there.

Prototype,

If you are traveling, you can self-install your dish but we cannot provide any installation for you. Canada has their own company to provide satellite service to Canadian residents. I don't know if there is any restrictions from the Canadian government for RVers; you would need to check with them on that. Here is a link to a website that you can use in finding the correct settings on the dish.

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

I still wasn't able to get a signal though. I'll try again after I can get some more co-ax and put the tripod and dish up on the roof.
That spot caught my eye. Don't forget, it does not make any difference if your dish is on the ground or 100 feet in the air. It made a difference with your antenna in the old "CB" radio days, but not with sat TV. All that is needed is a clear shot of the sky. The ground is safer than the roof.

RT.

Strange that I'm still not getting notifications.. I still haven't gotten set up. Now it's been windy on top of the mosquitoes. I haven't given up yet though and I hope to have it done by the 11th. Eureka's new season starts on SyFy.

Strange that I'm still not getting notifications.. I still haven't gotten set up. Now it's been windy on top of the mosquitoes. I haven't given up yet though and I hope to have it done by the 11th. Eureka's new season starts on SyFy.

Just get the skeety spray out and DO It To It. you can do it and have sat again this wkend.

Okay.. So I put some spray on and went out to try again. Even got myself that app on my Evo 4G. I don't think it's working right though because I STILL CANNOT FIND A SIGNAL! :mad: This is ridiculous.. I'm not that far north. I know I'm in the footprint..

Edited to add: It's gotta be the trees. They're not all that big but they're all that is left. They're about 140' away and roughly 35' tall. The satellite should be clearing and the app says so too but no signal. What's the max distance for the co-ax? I figure I'll need about 600' to get around all the trees and get a true clear sky.

Last edited:
DNS reqs us techs to have 5 degs clarance around all sats. I have the "Sat Finder" app on my phone that I use instead on an inclinometer. It has never faild me yet. I simly open the app and my phone gos into it camera as a veiw finder then as I scan for the sats that I have input they come up as red dots in the sky and it also tells me the what sat is what. the incorrect come up the same but with a green dot. The app is availble for driods and cost $15

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts