help me split up a 353MB file...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee78221

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
I have a 353MB video file and I want to split it up in to 100MB file and have it be self extractable

can anyone help me?

and were the person does not have to download any software.

Last edited:
Use WinZip or WinRAR and make it self extracting.

I think you are asking for what was proprietary licensed technology, such as Clipstream. on a lower scale, maybe Flash, or Macromedia Projector will work for your needs if all you need is to communicate the content of your video. Today, it should be safe to assume that people are able to update their windows machine to wm9 codecs on a player that resides or will be asked to choose to download the player / codec once they click on the file. Products like clipstream actually are what you asked for, except the 100 mb part??? but it will install a player as it gets ready to play the video to the bandwidth you configured it to, or it will test the receivers connection and scale it for them. PS- Clipstream is not cheap! I licenesed it for a year and it was very expensive.

As I said, today, people are more media saavy and have media capable OS, whether it be Macs or PC's.

Now considering that, how about some more information-
What file format is your video in now?
Do you need to have the receiver play it in that same format. ie what is more important to you, maintaining the format or having them see the content?

I don't follow why you have such a large file of 353 Mb unless the video is 3 hours long! or it is high definition.
Again, more information and I might be able to steer you in the right direction to achieve your real goal.

StevenD- what you suggest but I may have assumed wrong he was looking to play a video with an included self launching player. Yours is a simple solution if not. :)

Last edited:
Don Landis said:
I think you are asking for what was proprietary licensed technology, such as Clipstream. on a lower scale, maybe Flash, or Macromedia Projector will work for your needs if all you need is to communicate the content of your video. Today, it should be safe to assume that people are able to update their windows machine to wm9 codecs on a player that resides or will be asked to choose to download the player / codec once they click on the file. Products like clipstream actually are what you asked for, except the 100 mb part??? but it will install a player as it gets ready to play the video to the bandwidth you configured it to, or it will test the receivers connection and scale it for them. PS- Clipstream is not cheap! I licenesed it for a year and it was very expensive.

As I said, today, people are more media saavy and have media capable OS, whether it be Macs or PC's.

Do you need to have the receiver play it in that same format. ie what is more important to you, maintaining the format or having them see the content?

I don't follow why you have such a large file of 353 Mb unless the video is 3 hours long! or it is high definition.
Again, more information and I might be able to steer you in the right direction to achieve your real goal.

StevenD- what you suggest but I may have assumed wrong he was looking to play a video with an included self launching player. Yours is a simple solution if not. :)
I want them to see the content, the file is a .mpg and a direct rip from my hacked tivo

with DIRECTV a 1hr show is 1GB and this was 30mins, file started as 500MB's it took me a long time to get it to below 400Mb's and keep it the same PQ.

Don Landis said:

I am NOT look for a included self launching player, I am look for software that will split up the files in to 100MB's and when the person downloads the files it will turn the file back in to one (and it be self extractable) and they can use any player they want be it WMP or VLC.

there is a freeware program i used to use for this called hjsplit.
or as has been suggested already rar files. There are windows and prompt versions of tools to do that, and they add a checkdigit feature. Personally i hate rar files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)