Help! My Harman 880 Remote no longer Works.

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
My Harman 880 remote stopped working. The activity buttons light up like they should, but do not respond when I touch the corresponding hard button, I have downloaded new firmware, but to no avail. My battery is fully charged, could the battery be bad? I have had the remote about 2 years. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Might be time for a new battery. I have the 688 and have to put in my own batteries.

If it is just not controlling your Dish equipment, but does control the other devices, then pull the plug on the Dish receiver and reboot it.

I have a 722k and had the same problem, sometimes the 722k just wouldn't respond to the Harmony One I have. Tried all the usual things with the remote, recharge, reload the config, nothing helped. So just for the hell of it, I pulled the power on the 722k. When it came back up, all was good. Have had it happen a couple times since. No rhyme or reason that I could figure out.

Might be time for a new battery. I have the 688 and have to put in my own batteries.

It has a rechargeable battery, I have had the remote for a little over 2 years, how long do rechargeable batteries last? I want to make sure it is a battery problem before I go out and spend $30 on a new battery, only to find out that was not the problem.

I really don't know how to tell if the battery is bad. Mine takes AAA batteries so it is easy for me to figure out.

I really don't know how to tell if the battery is bad. Mine takes AAA batteries so it is easy for me to figure out.

The more I think about it I do not think it is a battery problem. The battery charge indicator indicates the battery is fully charged and all my activity buttons are lighted up, they just no longer do any thing.

The CC web site has some refurbished Harman remotes for $42, $49 and $52, they are lesser models then mine, just have a black and white display, mine is collar and use plain old AAA batteries, but they do all the same things that I love my 880 for, so I am tempted to get one of these if I cannot resolve my problems.

The CC web site has some refurbished Harman remotes for $42, $49 and $52, they are lesser models then mine, just have a black and white display, mine is collar and use plain old AAA batteries, but they do all the same things that I love my 880 for, so I am tempted to get one of these if I cannot resolve my problems.

Go to TARGET and get some new AAA batteries for your collar remote before you decide to buy a refurbished remote.