HELP! MY VIP622 Died!

No1Hunter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
North Central Washington State
Last night, we were watching TV when it went blank and the UPS started making a constant beeping sound. The VIP612 had turned off. I truned off the UPS (batteries indicated they were low), disconnected the VIP622 and the TV and turned the UPS back on. No more beeping but batteries were still low.

So, I by-passed the UPS and plugged both the TV and UPS into a surge protector and the TV comes on fine but the receiver sounds like the heard drive comes on, the green light by the power button comes on for about 15 seconds, truns off and about 5 second later, every light on the front of the receiver lights up and then the receiver dies. Nothing ever shows up on the TV.

I left if off over night but this morning, the same thing. The green light comes on, dish sound like it is spinning, turns off, all the lights on the front come on and the receiver, lights and all, turn off.

By the way, I left the UPS on all night and it shows it is fully charged. I plugged a couple items into it and they work fine, even un-plugging the the UPS and running off the batteries.

Any ideas what happen to the VIP622? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Yeah, I got a great idea.

bypass the ups to see if the 612 powers up properly.

fred

I tried that. Same thing happens. I am currently running this computer off the UPS. In fact, I unplugged the UPS about 5 minutes ago and the computer is still running and the batteries shows they are still nearly fully charged.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Have you tried just plugging it directly in the wall jack bypassing the UPS and the power bar to see if it will power up?

When you turn it on, does any of the lights remain on? It could be that you're just not getting any video. How are you connecting the 612? HDMI or Component? I would try Component just to see if there's video and maybe the HDMI output is fried. Just some ideas.

Sorry to confuse the issue but I have a VIP622, not a 612. I must not of been completely awake posting my origianal thread this morning.

Poke,

I have not tried by-passing the power bar. I will try that tonight when I get home.

RandallA,

When I push the power button under the front cover, the green light come on for a little bit and the hard drive sounds like it starts running (fan like noise). Then the green light turns off but the "fan noise" it still there. Then all six lights on front of the receiver light-up for a couple seconds and then everything goes dead, lights and noise. It is hooked up via the HDMI for HD (1st tuner). However, I have the second tuner hooked to my coax to feed my bedroom TV and it now only produces only snow. No signal. I can change the channel and get a signal from my old 501 that is down stairs on this TV.

Most likely what you're hearing is the fan and not the hard drive. On bootup the fans runs full speed for a few seconds then winds down. A flash of all the front panel lights is also normal for boot up. What do you mean by "the receiver dies"? Is it still powered. It takes a fairly long time for the 622 to boot up and initialize (scan the sats).

Give it 10-15 minutes, then hit the power button on the receiver. Does anything happen?

As someone already suggested, did you try a cable other then hdmi ? Connect the cable directly from the 622 to the TV.

Is it possible something else in your system got confused when the ups shut off. Perhaps some setting on the TV or receiver (hdmi mapping) got changed.

Also, I'd suggest not connecting the TV (or receiver to the battery backed outlet). They will pull the batteries down a lot faster. I prefer to have the PVR keep recording as long as possible (my DPP44 power inserter is also on the UPS).

Very odd and coincidence..

My 722 was doing that very same thing last night. Got home from work, and usual routine... Hit the TV button then press SELECT to fire the 722 up and I get 'acquiring signal' on the HDTV, then says, NO SIGNAL and screen goes blank and no lights on the receiver are on.

All the lights off on the receiver. Well, this was odd.... the bottom (and left side) were still very warm to the touch, so did the front panel reset... nothing... Unplugged and plug back in ...... nothing... same exact sequence as OP.

Then, finally, pulled the plug, let it sit about 1/2 hour, the plug back in.. same symptoms... As I was on hold with D*, about 5 minutes later out of nowhere, the TV screen showed "acquiring signal' 2 of 5 complete and the proper lights were back on. Has run fine since then.

No idea.. perhaps heat, but it's been in the exact same spot for over 3 months with pretty much the same routine.

Good Luck with yours!

The green light comes on, dish sound like it is spinning, turns off, all the lights on the front come on and the receiver, lights and all, turn off.
This is exactly what my 722 does every time it loses power. Don't get impatient. After you turn it on and it does its little light thing and then appears to do dead - don't go panicking and turning it off just yet. Do nothing for SEVERAL MINUTES and it comes back to life (at least mine does).

I used to worry about this - thinking my device was dead just like you, but I've come to believe that this "feigned death" is a normal part of the boot sequence. At least on my 722 it appears to be so.

Ok, I tried leaving it set for about 30 minutes after the six lights flashed and nothing. So, I try it again after installing an IPTV receiver I was given to test. Green light, all lights and nothing. So I go eat and come back to TV. It appears patients is what was needed, at this point anyway.

It is interesting as I moved the PVR a couple months ago, unplugging it for about an hour and I sure don't remember it taking this long to come back to life. Seems like it was a matter of minutes.

Anyway, THANKS to everyone for the help with this problem. You are a great bunch. I don't post much but I lerk around alot. :up to you all.

I have to wait maybe five minutes for my 722 to reincarnate itself. Thirty minutes is a long time for you to have to wait!

I don't know what the deal is with this. It seems like it's some kind of bug, that has different presentations for different people. Swapping out a DVR is a pain - you lose all your recorded shows unless you have an external drive to transfer them to. I don't use an external, so I'll hang onto my 722 a while longer until it's really dead, and not just playing possum.

hmmm interesting. My 622 did the same thing on Saturday after I flipped the breakers to replace a light switch. BUt I let it sit plugged in for well over a half hour, and it still was doing the blinking light junk. Maybe I should be even more patient with it and see what happens. I would like to watch my DVR's stuff before I get the new box on Tuesday.

If indeed this delay is just the DVR running a Linux fsck (file system check) as David_Levin suggested, it would be nice if it would at least leave the power light on so you know something is going on. Or display the Linux console and the realtime output of the fsck up on your TV screen. The current "feigned death" is just a very poor choice for a user interface. Most people think it just died, so they start power cycling it again and again to see if it works better the next time. Which is not the nicest thing to do in the middle of an fsck! At best, it delays things further. At worst, it really borks things up and creates a bigger mess than was there before.

Just about a month ago my 6 month old 622 started doing the same thing, with the exception that after getting the green light, then all lights it would go dead then start the cycle over again continuously for as long as I left it plugged in. I got it replaced and now tonight while watching TV the replacement receiver started doing the same thing. I unplugged it for 15 mins, plugged it back and now it too is doing that endless loop. Every once in a while it will get to the "acquiring satellites" screen but before it makes any progress it just shuts down and starts over. Any thoughts?

Well I left my 622 box unplugged for 2 days, and then plugged it back in for 3 or 4 hours, and it never came back around. I guess my 622 is truly dead. May my DVR'd shows rest in peace :(

VIP 622 failure--Perpetual reboot

My DVR did the samething; perpetual reboot. Green light blinks, the all lights light up and then recycles. Can the hard drive be removed and put in the new reciever to save the recorded shows if the hard drive is not the faulty part?

most likely this would work, just be careful of tiny sticker which voids warranty. A long SATA cable might help out here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)