OTHER HELP !! Need a Reed switch/Sensor for Thompson -Saginaw actuator

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Achebee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Honduras
I have one of the older heavy duty 36" Thompson-Saginaw Actuators ..
After nearly 20 years of use this workhorse is acting up and it is the reed sensor..
I have been to Viking Sat, where I purchased this so long ago, and found out they are no longer in production and they do not have a reed sensor laying around at all.
Does anyone know of any other source for this??
or perhaps one of you may have one or a complete gear box laying around??
The unit is in great shape..What a fantastic design and it is so durable...Just this little glitch has it down for the count..
I would buy a new model from Rick if I could, but that is difficult and I am out of the USA and shipping costs nearly as much as the units, so it is a bit of a set-back..
I am wondering if there is a source for those magnetic reed sensors.. ??

I have been looking for specs on the unit to see if there is a part # for the manufacturer of the sensor... and find one page with a reed switch # 7822237 from Thompson in Brazil...with a lead time of 2500 days !! and none of the links work, so, shucks...

Thanks in advance for help from anyone.. HB

I have one of the older heavy duty 36" Thompson-Saginaw Actuators ..
After nearly 20 years of use this workhorse is acting up and it is the reed sensor..
I have been to Viking Sat, where I purchased this so long ago, and found out they are no longer in production and they do not have a reed sensor laying around at all.
Does anyone know of any other source for this??
or perhaps one of you may have one or a complete gear box laying around??
The unit is in great shape..What a fantastic design and it is so durable...Just this little glitch has it down for the count..
I would buy a new model from Rick if I could, but that is difficult and I am out of the USA and shipping costs nearly as much as the units, so it is a bit of a set-back..
I am wondering if there is a source for those magnetic reed sensors.. ??

I have been looking for specs on the unit to see if there is a part # for the manufacturer of the sensor... and find one page with a reed switch # 7822237 from Thompson in Brazil...with a lead time of 2500 days !! and none of the links work, so, shucks...

Thanks in advance for help from anyone.. HB
Unless someone volunteers one your best bet is probably to check the original's specs and find a substitute.

Maybe try here: Switches | Magnetic, Reed Switches | DigiKey

Or here: https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Magnetic-Reed-Switches/_/N-5g2l

Worst case, you can probably carefully split any plastic the reed switch is encased in with a safety razor blade or stiff sharp knife, and replace that reed switch with a substitute of the same size. Those are easily available. Then glue it back together.

Reactions: TRG
Thanks Mike..Yes I see the cylindrical reed switches on Ebay and Amazon from China..they appear to be about the same size as the one that is in the housing..I was looking for specs because I don't know if mine is open or closed...etc etc. and the voltage etc.
But, I am going to order a couple...they are cheap and the housing in the Saginaw is just screwed in and the old cylinder just slips out..Only thing is that in the reviews of the sensors at AMZ and Ebay...both the same company....people complain that they don't last very long...This one has really been amazing. I have used it all the time for nearly 2 decades now. Thanks again for your input, Mike..HB

Reactions: primestar31
Just an FYI. I bought bag of the chinesium reed switches from Amazon to try to get my Saginaw sensor working good again. They didn't seem to work so well. I must have tried every one in the bag.
I went to Home Depot and got a reed switch for windows and door security systems. Gutted it and piggy backed it on the Saginaw sensor. It worked ok. Then I converted to a Hall sensor later on.

Unless someone volunteers one your best bet is probably to check the original's specs and find a substitute.

Or here: https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Magnetic-Reed-Switches/_/N-5g2l

Thanks for the links..this is the way I will go..I have bought stuff from digikey before, and it just didn't enter my mind to look there..
Appreciate your input !! HB

Reactions: FTA4PA
Just an FYI. I bought bag of the chinesium reed switches from Amazon to try to get my Saginaw sensor working good again. They didn't seem to work so well. I must have tried every one in the bag.
I went to Home Depot and got a reed switch for windows and door security systems. Gutted it and piggy backed it on the Saginaw sensor. It worked ok. Then I converted to a Hall sensor later on.
Yes, I have read reviews of the ebay and amazon reeds and many folks say they aren't holding up well. I will get a decent one in and get it up n running..I was thinking the TS had a special switch but it appears to be a well built standard sensor.. thanks !!

Thanks for the links..this is the way I will go..I have bought stuff from digikey before, and it just didn't enter my mind to look there..
Appreciate your input !! HB
Excellent link to Mouser here...Thanks so much for posting..I am after it right now !!
You're welcome! Hope you can find something that will work for you! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)