This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

help needed for PrimeStar dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spacebug42

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Woodland, CA
I am looking into the idea of acquiring a PrimeStar dish. I am having an arduous time locating a roof/wall mount that will take a 2.375 inch diameter mast. Does anybody know where I can find the mount for the dish? Are there any members who have successfully adapted PrimeStar dishes to fit on a 1 5/8 inch mast? I am also looking into the idea of adding a motor to the PrimeStar dish. Does anyone know which dish motors will work with these dishes? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I personally would forget about the 1 5/8 mast idea, most P* dishes are too heavy, the wind whips them around on flimsy masts like that, I would lean more toward adapting to 2" galvanized water pipe if you didn't dig up the original post. The only place I have seen non-penetrator roof mounts for them are on buildings where they're in use for Muzak or other apps.

Thanks for the helpful info. I love the idea of having a P* dish, but I didn't realize how heavy they were. Perhaps I should just keep it as a stationary dish fixed on G18 or G19. I sure don't want to have it become a victim like my OTA antenna did last January when a big windstorm took it down and almost punched a hole in my roof.

thanks for the link

Dish*Parts*and*Accessories...

you can get the mounts and all accessories for the Primestar / channelmaster dishes here. I bought the lnb arm for my 84e dish from them. Received it 3 days after I ordered and it looked like it was brand new.

Thanks for the link! They have exactly what I had in mind - a roof/wall mount with an outside diameter of 2.5. This should work well with my P* dish.

If you want to motorize, consider the 380 motor Sadoun sells.
That's his biggest one.

Plus , if you'll do a search on the forum back several years, there were discussions of putting Primestars on 2100 motors.
While I think that's a bad idea, there are many ideas posted where the user took off all of the heavy Primestar bracketry, and made a lighter one to fit the motor.
You might get some good ideas.

I will think about it

At this point, I'm not going to motorize the P* dish. I want to have one stationary dish set on G19-AMC4 and the motorized dish for all of the other satellites. My area gets a lot of wind from the North and being a newbie, I want to see how the dishes do in the first few years of operation before I consider making any improvements.

Status
Please reply by conversation.