help needed for PrimeStar dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spacebug42

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Woodland, CA
I am looking into the idea of acquiring a PrimeStar dish. I am having an arduous time locating a roof/wall mount that will take a 2.375 inch diameter mast. Does anybody know where I can find the mount for the dish? Are there any members who have successfully adapted PrimeStar dishes to fit on a 1 5/8 inch mast? I am also looking into the idea of adding a motor to the PrimeStar dish. Does anyone know which dish motors will work with these dishes? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I personally would forget about the 1 5/8 mast idea, most P* dishes are too heavy, the wind whips them around on flimsy masts like that, I would lean more toward adapting to 2" galvanized water pipe if you didn't dig up the original post. The only place I have seen non-penetrator roof mounts for them are on buildings where they're in use for Muzak or other apps.

I personally would forget about the 1 5/8 mast idea, most P* dishes are too heavy, the wind whips them around on flimsy masts like that, I would lean more toward adapting to 2" galvanized water pipe if you didn't dig up the original post. The only place I have seen non-penetrator roof mounts for them are on buildings where they're in use for Muzak or other apps.

Thanks for the helpful info. I love the idea of having a P* dish, but I didn't realize how heavy they were. Perhaps I should just keep it as a stationary dish fixed on G18 or G19. I sure don't want to have it become a victim like my OTA antenna did last January when a big windstorm took it down and almost punched a hole in my roof.

thanks for the link

Dish*Parts*and*Accessories...

you can get the mounts and all accessories for the Primestar / channelmaster dishes here. I bought the lnb arm for my 84e dish from them. Received it 3 days after I ordered and it looked like it was brand new.

Thanks for the link! They have exactly what I had in mind - a roof/wall mount with an outside diameter of 2.5. This should work well with my P* dish.

If you want to motorize, consider the 380 motor Sadoun sells.
That's his biggest one.

Plus , if you'll do a search on the forum back several years, there were discussions of putting Primestars on 2100 motors.
While I think that's a bad idea, there are many ideas posted where the user took off all of the heavy Primestar bracketry, and made a lighter one to fit the motor.
You might get some good ideas.

I will think about it

If you want to motorize, consider the 380 motor Sadoun sells.
That's his biggest one.

Plus , if you'll do a search on the forum back several years, there were discussions of putting Primestars on 2100 motors.
While I think that's a bad idea, there are many ideas posted where the user took off all of the heavy Primestar bracketry, and made a lighter one to fit the motor.
You might get some good ideas.

At this point, I'm not going to motorize the P* dish. I want to have one stationary dish set on G19-AMC4 and the motorized dish for all of the other satellites. My area gets a lot of wind from the North and being a newbie, I want to see how the dishes do in the first few years of operation before I consider making any improvements.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)