Help Needed:

FeedHunter24

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 7, 2024
UK
Hello,

I Have a 1.2m Channel Master Satellite Dish, Mounted to a moteck h180 H-H motor (See Manual), which is ground mounted to a pole that has a base attached to it, im in the UK and im very confused how to Align this motor and dish to track the arc correctly, and i'm here asking for help (video tutorial with step by step instructions - make it easy for me to understand than following text and manuals if possible), its currently pointing to Astra 28.2E Which is the UK Satellite for main tv channels, i can get feeds and tv channels with this dish like this but only Astra 28.2E & Astra 23.5E, but i want to be able to track the arc correctly to pick up the following Satellites, Thor 0.8w, Eutelsat 7E, Eutelsat 9E, Eutelsat 10E, Eutelsat 16E, 1w, 3W, Hotbird 13E & Other Satellites from My Location in Norfolk, UK,

I Hope someone here is able to help me with this issue, Please Thanks

look forward to your kind responses and help

Please Be Kind and patient with me as this sort of thing isn't easy to learn (setting the Elevation and Declination Angle on this motor), hence why i'm here asking for help, i have tried to get help with this before but with no luck hence why i am here, thanks for taking time to read my Topic

i have also asked for help on other forums, which non of it was helpful, they just bullied me and have searched online for videos etc aswell but didnt find anything so im here asking for help
Thanks

Last edited:
i have also asked for help on other forums, which non of it was helpful, they just bullied me

Well, not all did, and not always, I would say.

To pick up where we got to:
-You mentioned that the pole is 100% plumb, already.
-Can you post pictures of the actual adapter plate, for your polar mount and offset dish?
We got to the point that that probably must be set correctly, to the correct offset angle; and I don't know if it has a scale, or was built for use only with your type of dish/for a fixed offset angle.

For axis elevation angle and declination offset angle we already (as opposed to the table in the manual) came to:
For the better, "modified" angle, I would nowadays use a forward axis tilt of 0.55 degree (0-horizon fit) for Norfolk, so resulting in:
Axis elevation angle = 90 - 52.6 - 0.55 = about 36.85 degree;
and declination offset = 7.53 - 0.55 = about 7.0 degree.
However, you never gave your exact latitude and longitude values (up to at least one decimal, preferably two decimals).

The first steps would be to get all these angles right, when aiming at due south.

Greetz,
A33

Well, not all did, and not always, I would say.

To pick up where we got to:
-You mentioned that the pole is 100% plumb, already.
-Can you post pictures of the actual adapter plate, for your polar mount and offset dish?
We got to the point that that probably must be set correctly, to the correct offset angle; and I don't know if it has a scale, or was built for use only with your type of dish/for a fixed offset angle.

For axis elevation angle and declination offset angle we already (as opposed to the table in the manual) came to:

However, you never gave your exact latitude and longitude values (up to at least one decimal, preferably two decimals).

The first steps would be to get all these angles right, when aiming at due south.

Greetz,
A33
are u from "satellites uk?" i was blocked from there just for asking for help, not my fault the owners a doosh on that site!!,

My Motor needs Aligning Correctly inorder to track the arc correctly, so this ? (Notes to myself so i know which one to adjust) (See Blue text below)

Set Elevation angle (The Scale on the motor bracket is for easy setting) (Long scew A) to 36.85°

Declination Angle: set it using screw B to 7 using the scale on the upper mounting plate (Gold Plate at top)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Edit: here is my new text (I posted too soon):

are u from "satellites uk?"
Well, you never really know, do you? Some people take on new nicknames at various forums ;-) .

i was blocked from there just for asking for help, not my fault the owners a doosh on that site!!
Your thread was closed by a staff member after another staff member mentioned a (non-sponsoring) satelliteshop again, after the former had said that he wouldn't allow it another time in the thread.
I agree, a bit strange. Though you yourself also had a bit a strange start, at the forum. But it looks like you are really trying to get used to the difficulty of communicating via a forum, not face-to-face.

i have also asked for help on other forums,
I know about satellites uk, and I just saw avforums.com.
Are there any other forums that you are discussing this question at? So that we don't spend all kind of efforts to give solutions, that have already been brought forward?

My Motor needs Aligning Correctly inorder to track the arc correctly, so this ? (Notes to myself so i know which one to adjust) (See Blue text below)

Set Elevation angle (The Scale on the motor bracket is for easy setting) (Long scew A) to 36.85°

Declination Angle: set it using screw B to 7 using the scale on the upper mounting plate (Gold Plate at top)
Absolutely right.
But also your offset dish adapter plate must be in the good angle.
So please do as I asked: post photos of the actual adapter plate, and the possible offset scales on them?

Part of the problem on the UK-forum was, that too many people wanted to help (that often happens with problems of 'laymen', that "seem" easy), and by the many different approaches of these 'helpers' the thread became completely chaotic; according to my analysis. And they already mentioned steps, that were not relevant at all at the beginning, so that it was confusing to do this really step by step, as you most likely need.

Greetz,
A33

Last edited:
so my octagon sf8008 Reception Settings Tuner A, is set to Configure Mode: Advanced, Satellite is set to All Satellites 3 (USALS), i already know how to do that, my longitude and latitude is already set aswel (from my previous satellite dish setup), the only thing i need to do is to set the Elevation Angle and Declination Angle on my motor/dish, then the rest should fall into place right? once i have that done i will let you know (its stopped raining here now, but at this time its dark and cold outside), so when i get the chance (on my days off) i will go outside (weather premitting) and i will adjust the Elevation and Declination Angles on the motor/dish, to the following:

Elevation Angle (Long scew A) to 36.85° (no idea how ill do that??)

Declination Angle: set using screw B to 7° using the scale on the upper mounting plate (Gold Plate at top)
& FYI I Have issues following simple steps you see (not my fault!!!) but i can follow a video tutorial no problem just not written steps (no idea why just how my brain works i guess)
Other Forums, urm only a few... cant remember what others are as i havn't gone back on them to check as this one seems more active today :)
Any Help is greatly appreciated,

Since this is a new dish and Motor (only had it for a few months) its hard to get it set up correctly, my old dish was easy to set up this dish and motor being different is alot harder to work out how to do it correctly!!

BTW That Admin didn't need to google people, and FYI That wasnt me that was just a name used on there and didnt belong to me!!!, YA Know people using others names to get what they want out of people!!

For Norfork, UK using the aiming calculations from DishPointer - Align your satellite dish
  • Be certain that the pole is ABSOLUTELY plumb and level. If not, correct before attempting to align the motor and dish. This is CRITICAL!
  • Enable DiSEqC 1.2 motor control in your satellite receiver
  • Drive the dish to zero
  • Roughly align the dish so it is facing magnetic south reading 178.9 degrees
  • Draw a reference mark for the motor and the pole initial alignment point
  • Rotate the LNB Skew to zero
  • Set the motor Elevation to 38 degrees (Screw A)
  • Set the motor declination to 7.5 degrees (Screw B)

• Make sure the satellites that you wish to receive are motor enabled in the receiver's (and/or motor controller) set-up menu as DiSEqC 1.2 type.
  • Select Thor 0.8W satellite from the satellite list.
  • Place the receiver on an active transponder or channel on Thor 0.8W.
  • SLOWLY step the motor movement in the receiver's set-up menu towards the West, while watching the Signal Quality or SNR/CNR meter for any reading.
  • If the transponder or channel is received, then only fine tune the dish motor to optimize by rotating the motor on the pole and or SLIGHTLY adjust the motor Elevation setting to peak the Signal Quality Reading (or highest SNR/CNR).
  • If the transponder or channel is not received, SLOWLY rotate the motor on the pole East and/or West in 1 degree increments from the initial reference alignment mark on the Motor/Pole and sweep East/ West with the motor. You may have to rotate the motor on the pole up to 10/15/20 degrees East or West of the initial alignment in stepped 1 degree settings. The accuracy depends on the initial alignment magnetic compass accuracy. If you input your exact address in DishPointer - Align your satellite dish, you will see a satellite map that will assist in aiming the dish at an object (pole, tree, house, building, etc)
  • If no Signal Quality reading is displayed, increase or decrease 1 degree from the initial 38 degree Elevation setting.
  • Repeat the SLOW movement of the motor on the pole East 10 degrees and/or West 10 degrees from the initial reference alignment mark on the Motor/Pole. Repeat until the Signal Quality reading is detected.
  • Optimize (fine tune) the dish motor to optimize SQ or SNR/CNR by bumping the mpter East/West, rotating the motor on the pole and or SLIGHTLY adjusting the motor Elevation setting to peak.
  • Assign this satellite position a motor position number and save. Follow the instructions on your satellite receiver how to assign and save a DiSEqC 1.2 motor number to a satellite.
  • Now, find other satellites, optimize, assign a motor number and save for each satellite. Preferably these satellites are near the ends of the arc and comparing the Signal Quality to satellites the center of the arc to be sure the dish and motor are accurately tracking. When receiving a satellite, GENTLY pull on the left/right/top/bottom of the dish while observing the Signal Quality reading. This testing will help you determine if additional fine tuning of the motor on the pole or motor Elevation setting is necessary to optimally track the arc.
BTW.. chill on dissing other forums, members or admin.... it is a small community and most of us are active on multiple sites.

Last edited:
For Norfork, UK using the aiming calculations from DishPointer - Align your satellite dish
  • Be certain that the pole is ABSOLUTELY plumb and level. If not, correct before attempting to align the motor and dish. This is CRITICAL!
  • Enable USALS motor control in your satellite receiver
  • Input and save your install location's Longitude and Latitude
  • Drive the dish to zero Receiver menu "Go To Zero"
  • Roughly align the dish so it is facing magnetic south reading 178.9 degrees
  • Draw a reference mark for the motor and the pole initial alignment point
  • Rotate the LNB Skew to zero
  • Set the motor Elevation to 38 degrees (Screw A)
  • Set the motor declination to 7.5 degrees (Screw B)

• Make sure the satellites that you wish to receive are motor enabled in the receiver's (and/or motor controller) set-up menu as DiSEqC 1.2 type.
  • Select Thor 0.8W satellite from the satellite list.
  • Place the receiver on an active transponder or channel on Thor 0.8W.
  • SLOWLY step the motor movement in the receiver's set-up menu towards the West, while watching the Signal Quality or SNR/CNR meter for any reading.
  • If the transponder or channel is received, then only fine tune the dish motor to optimize by rotating the motor on the pole and or SLIGHTLY adjust the motor Elevation setting to peak the Signal Quality Reading (or highest SNR/CNR).
  • If the transponder or channel is not received, SLOWLY rotate the motor on the pole East and/or West in 1 degree increments from the initial reference alignment mark on the Motor/Pole and sweep East/ West with the motor. You may have to rotate the motor on the pole up to 10/15/20 degrees East or West of the initial alignment in stepped 1 degree settings. The accuracy depends on the initial alignment magnetic compass accuracy. If you input your exact address in DishPointer - Align your satellite dish, you will see a satellite map that will assist in aiming the dish at an object (pole, tree, house, building, etc)
  • If no Signal Quality reading is displayed, increase or decrease 1/2 of a degree from the initial 38 degree Elevation setting.
  • Repeat the SLOW movement of the motor on the pole East 10 degrees and/or West 10 degrees from the initial reference alignment mark on the Motor/Pole. Repeat until the Signal Quality reading is detected.
  • Optimize (fine tune) the dish motor to optimize SQ or SNR/CNR by bumping the mpter East/West, rotating the motor on the pole and or SLIGHTLY adjusting the motor Elevation setting to peak.
  • Now, check other satellites. Preferably satellites near the ends of the arc and comparing the Signal Quality to satellites the center of the arc to be sure the dish and motor are accurately tracking. When receiving a satellite, GENTLY pull on the left/right/top/bottom of the dish while observing the Signal Quality reading. This testing will help you determine if additional fine tuning of the motor on the pole or motor Elevation setting is necessary to optimally track the arc.
BTW.. chill on dissing other forums, members or admin.... it is a small community and most of us are active on multiple sites.
Why post the same thing twice??? i already read your post!!

The original post was deleted when I realized this motor doesn't support USALS. It appears that it is only is a motor with sensor return to be used with a 24/36VDC positioner controller.
Yeah!, technically it does when using the octagon sf8008, thats why im asking for help to correctly align it, PLEASE READ MY POST FIRST!!

You are on your own, my friend. Read my post...
Urm I DID, ONLY INFO I NEED IS THIS NOTHING ELSE!!

IF UR NOT GONNA HELP DONT REPLY NOT HARD IS IT!!

SEE Pictures for help understanding what im trying to say!!

PS MESSAGE ME IF YOU CAN HELP THANKS :)
thread now unlocked again

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    471.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    424.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    278.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
as theres no official videos showing how to correctly align this motor with this dish as it seems like its been around for a few years now, theres some people who still have it and they all have it aligned differently as u can see from these pics i found during my research (see pics attached), all different not all the same, same motor but set differently (unknown country's obviously)

as u can see this is whats confusing me aswell, if i knew which was correct for my location (some point up, some point down, some are pointing sideways), id clearly copy that one!! see what i mean now??

p.s non of these people who's pictures i found while doing research are available to ask anymore :(

thread now unlocked again

Last edited:
Please note: The op is using a V-box positioner.

FeedHunter24 - The V-box positioner does not support USALS mode. V-box positioners only use the DiSEqC 1.2 protocol. Use the DiSEqC 1.2 installation steps that I posted above. The above DiSEqC 1.2 steps will work with the offset type Channel Master 1.2 dish mounted on the Moteck 180 motor.

Please note: The op is using a V-box positioner.

FeedHunter24 - The V-box positioner does not support USALS mode. V-box positioners only use the DiSEqC 1.2 protocol. Use the DiSEqC 1.2 installation steps that I posted above. The above DiSEqC 1.2 steps will work with the offset type Channel Master 1.2 dish mounted on the Moteck 180 motor.
the VBox might not support it but its connected to my ocaagon sf8008 so when i change sats the vbox automatically moved the dish using USALS (Read my DM It explains how)

i forgot to add that but now i cant reedit it, i have the motor control cables going from my motor to my vbox then a coax cable my lnb to my vbox then another out from vbox into my sf8008 understand? (might sound confusing) but its really not, so with my sf8008 i can move my dish with and without my vbox if needed, i can move both of my dishes at the same time aswell which is weird but can be done