Help needed - install a 3LNBdish upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

birddogman

Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I have a directv account with a dual LNB dish. I just upgraded the programming to receive local channels. But now I see that I will also need to upgrade the dish to the 3-lnb multisatellite model to receive the locals in my market (champaign IL). The Directv site doesn't offer much help if you just want to buy a new dish and not a whole new system. By googling, I see that I can buy just the dish from other online sources. But what about the installation? I gather the multi-satellite installation is a bit complex, and I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with this myself.
So, MY QUESTIONS:
1) what's a good source for purchasing just the 3LNB dish?
2) is it true I should have it professionally installed?
3) how do I find a professional installer (for champaign-urbana IL).

Any advice appreciated - can email me directly:
birddogman@sbcglobal.net

Look under the yellow pages under Satellite Services.

There should be a local directv retailer that can help you.

And please support the retailers.

If you are not DIY savvy then take Tate's advise and call someone.

BUT - If you think you can handle it yourself, the 3LNB dish isn't much more difficult to put up than any other. It has 3 feeds and 4 cable connectors with a built-in multi switch, so you can run up to 4 receivers with no extra hardware.

You may need a ladder, RG-6 cabling(more than the cost of install in some cases), a drill and more. Sometimes it is well-worth the money to have it done but here is a quick overview.

The biggest thing is making sure the pipe or mast is super-level. This is the first step to making the rest of the install easier.

YOU can go to Directv.com and get a feel for how to install with the following link:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerServlet

It isn't very comprehensive, but does give the basics.

You peak the dish using 110 and then make sure you have the right 'twist' or (skew) like when a dog tips it head sideways.

I won't go into detailed info.

If you feel uncomfortable with anything the outline details then stop and call in the professionals like stated above.

Your local retailer might cut you a deal on the equipment and sometimes that alone outweighs the cost of ordering/buying online coupled with shipping costs and you get local personalized customer support.

Have you talked to Directv they may offer FREE dish and installation if the Phase3 is required for local channels.

I think that D* will provide a 3 LNB dish with installation (and a 1 year committment) for free if you need it for local channels or for $49 (plus $15 S&H) if you want it for HD or other reasons

I just finished a massive re-wire of my entire house so that I could install a multiswitch and a new reciever. Believe me, if I didn't already have the tools and the time on my hands as well as a masochistic desire to spend an entire saturday getting dirty I would have called in a pro.

What I'm getting at is if you don't already have everything you're going to need as far as tools, equipment and supplies, you should call D* and see if they can help you out. Most of the time, it's far less expensive and if something goes wrong they can fix it instead of you. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts