Help Needed: OTA Antenna at Apt Complex

sterbz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I was all set to go w/ a lovely E* package only to learn that I couldn't get all signals...even though I have a very open 2nd story patio/balcony facing directly to the S. Now, I'm looking for alternatives as those signals which I can't get were the whole reason for me wanting E* (or any satellite service) to begin with.

I'd like to start out w/ an OTA HD antenna for the locals in zip code 85248 (metro-Phx). I've already been to antennaweb.org to see that all I'd want in HD is <20 miles away and attainable via UHF, and thus, the CM4228 would be an ideal choice. What I haven't seen, however, is an example of someone setting up this antenna at their apt complex. I've seen success stories of roof mounts and inside positioned in the attic, but how about on a 2nd story balcony facing the south? Will this set-up work out for me?

Please help this noob desperate for some quality HD TV on a newly purchased unit. I'll take whatever I can get at the moment!

P.S. - If this doesn't work out, are these antennas returnable?

I find it curious that Dish could not set you up to see 110,119 and 129. Phoenix is almost ideally located for Dish1000 or D1000.2 install. Azimuth is 181 degrees virtually due south, elevation 49 and skew 101. Have you gotten a second opinion? Was the overhang in the way?

As far as OTA antennas go, the 4228 is an excellent choice. Are all your towers in the same direction? Have you checked your profile at AntennaWeb ? At 20 miles out a smaller antenna might work maybe a 4221 (4 bay bow tie) which is essentially half of a 4228 (8 bay bow tie). Check with the store where you buy the antenna about returnability.

If all your digitals are UHF, you might try the Radio Shack U75-R. It's a yagi reflector so it is directional and about 4 ft long instead of 4 ft wide and tall like the 4228. It's only $25 and RS does allow returns.

Yeah, I found it a bit odd too. I have not gotten a second opinion yet, but will do so if it's still free of charge. Here's what my request was:

VIP622
AT 250
Dish HD
Deutsche-Welle (DW-TV)
Starz (free for 3 months)

I ordered DW-TV so I would get the Dish 1000+ which would get me the 118.75 signals so I could "move" to Detroit and get FSN-Detroit and the Detroit locals in HD. Everything was looking golden until he went to retrieve the signal strengths and gave me the bad news.

If I recall correctly, he said I couldn't get the extreme signals, and I believe the national HD's over 129 were called out specifically. I don't recall him calling out 118.75 as a problem. He said that if I could get my apt mgr's OK to put the dish on the ground w/ more openness that it would be a snap, but he didn't verify the signals.

As for the OTA antenna situation, well tonight I just fiddled w/ my new TV and realized that my built-in tuners (specifically QAM, but I also have an ATSC) enables me to get some of the local stations already, HD included. BONUS, and now I can finally watch something on the set :) But I also have a $20 Radio Shack credit that I've been trying to use forever and will check out the antenna you mentioned from there...assuming it will get me more than what I'm getting now. I'll have to compare.

I just read through wikipedia's definition of a yagi reflector and I'm not totally comprehending it. Does it basically mean that I don't have to point it in a certain direction? Putting it on the patio wouldn't be an issue, but could it be located inside as well if the need arose for whatever reason?

Thanks for the replies

Last edited:
129 is at az 208.9 and el 47 from Phoenix. That's only 30 degrees west of due south. Sounds fishy.

Looks like RS has raise the price of the U75-R to $29.99. Its called a yagi reflector because it has a shaft with perpendicular elements like a classic yagi antenna, but adds two reflector sections at the rear to block signal from behind and help with directing reflected signal to the pickup element. Looks like this from side <----

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)