Help needed with Trees

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adwalsh

Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
:( Hi all.......I am new to this forum and hope you guys can help me.

I have been a Dish Network customer for many years. I was Primestar customer before that. My dish has always been in the same place which is on a pole in the front yard. This spring, I stated to have signal problems. In the past my signal had always been 100+ on 110 & 119. Now 110 is still decent at 105 but 119 has dropped to just above 60.

I recently upgraded my 721 to a 625 receiver. When the technician came out, he checked the dish alignment at the pole with a meter and said that a neighbors tree was starting to block my signal. He tried adding an extension to the pole, but that did not seem to help. As long as there is no wind and no rain, I have a good picture with only occasional distortion, but if it gets windy or rainy, I quickly loose signal. It would be difficult to re-locate the antenna. It was placed there originally because it was the best location in the yard. The pole is set in concrete and the cables are buried underground. Would a larger dish help? If so, what kind and where could I get it?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Any chance you could put it on the roof? Sometimes that will give you the elevation that you need to get over the top of trees.

Seems a larger dish in the same spot would still result in the same LoS issue. I totally agree with moving the dish to the roof eve or chimney and run new RG6 cables. This is where I would have installed in the first place to avoid just such issues.

adwalsh said:
:( Hi all.......I am new to this forum and hope you guys can help me.

I have been a Dish Network customer for many years. I was Primestar customer before that. My dish has always been in the same place which is on a pole in the front yard. This spring, I stated to have signal problems. In the past my signal had always been 100+ on 110 & 119. Now 110 is still decent at 105 but 119 has dropped to just above 60.

I recently upgraded my 721 to a 625 receiver. When the technician came out, he checked the dish alignment at the pole with a meter and said that a neighbors tree was starting to block my signal. He tried adding an extension to the pole, but that did not seem to help. As long as there is no wind and no rain, I have a good picture with only occasional distortion, but if it gets windy or rainy, I quickly loose signal. It would be difficult to re-locate the antenna. It was placed there originally because it was the best location in the yard. The pole is set in concrete and the cables are buried underground. Would a larger dish help? If so, what kind and where could I get it?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Other than relocating the dish, you only other option would be to do away with the offending tree. Airstrike perhaps? :p

Hi guys, thanks for the input. Unfotunately the house is not an option as it is also surrouded by trees. That is why it was originally put out at the front of the yard.
I'd sure hate to have to switch back to cable.

Hmm, so you're sure that even with the additional height of the house you wouldn't be able to clear them from any spot on your roof? If they are your neighbors trees I would think they would be far enough away so that you could find somewhere that would work. But maybe not in your case.

adwalsh said:
Hi guys, thanks for the input. Unfotunately the house is not an option as it is also surrouded by trees. That is why it was originally put out at the front of the yard.

My house is also surrounded by trees. Distance from my roof mounted dish to the tree line is approximately 60 feet. Some are higher than the roof line, but I am able to get a good signal. The additional elevation might give you an angle that would allow you to get a good signal.

Have you had a tech check to see if this is a workable solution? If not, I would have someone do a check.

Just a thought. :up

Yes, unfortunately I am sure. Our house sits back about 80 feet from the road. The house itself is completely surrounded by tall trees over 60' high. The dish is out near the curb so that it is in front of all my trees but now is getting interference from a neighbors tree. The additional height of putting it on the room my help me with the neighbors tree, but would be completely blocked by my own trees. It is usually only a problem when the wind is blowing pretty hard. The original install was done by a tech, and the current location is the best he could find.

There is another option that would require 2 dish's from the sound of it. What would have to be done is whats called a split dish, basicly you use 2 dish's to see 2 satellites instead of a single dish for 2 satellites. A second pole mount would need to be set to the left side of your current pole a minimum of 5 ft to give you atleast another few years, farther out would be better. The direction is chosen by standing behind the dish and going to its left side, the increase the length of time and open up the window further you could go left and up at an angle to increase the viewing area the dish is looking through.

With this done you will have to have 2 seperate lnbfs and a switch such as 2 dishpro dual lnbfs and a dishpro 34 switch. Im including a rough sketch of what it would look like.

Attachments

• split dish.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 151
adwalsh said:
unfortunately without a taller mount or moving the dish FARTHER from the trees, you are going to have to ask your neighbor about triming the offending tree..Short of that it looks like you may be out of luck.....Sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)