Help..No TV for me

JerseyGuy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
I apologise about the subject this is a wierd situation and I didn't know what to call it.

Anyway, I moved back in with my parents because I lost my job. I've since gotten a part time job but I still can't afford rent. I moved my old reciever temporarily and hooked it up to the dish at my parents house down here in the basement where I am now living. Anyway, my step father got a 622 yesterday, they came to install it, but he didn't want them to run the second line and I guess they didn't have a DPP44 switch (or didn't want to use it), because they put in a dish pro twin switch in because he only has 2 recievers on his account, my reciever is under my account and the service address still reads my old apartment because I haven't gotten around to changing it. Bottom line is they disconnected my reciever so I don't have TV anymore.

Tried to get added to my stepfathers account, but they won't do a Dishin it up because he just got the 622, he hasn't sent back his 501 reciever that was replaced by the 622 but I talked to 2 CSRs and 1 supervisor who said she couldn't activate it he needed to send it back. My only option I'm told is to buy a reciever and have a retailer put it in.

Is there another way? Approximately how much is it going to cost to replace?

What do I do?

what's your parents' 2nd receiver and what is yours?

Here are some ideas: Convince them to run TV2 output of the 622 to the 2nd TV, they can save $5 a month by deactivating that second receiver then you can connect yours again. Or run TV2 to your room for that matter and deactivate yours. Or get a dish500 and connect to that.

Last edited:
If you are still under contract drop your programming to the family pak and continue paying until your contract ends or you can afford to move where you can reconnect your receiver.

All 501s are OWNED. I do NOT see why it has to be sent back.

They won't get their $25 credit, but a 501 is worth more than that anyway.

SimpleSimon said:
All 501s are OWNED. I do NOT see why it has to be sent back.

They won't get their $25 credit, but a 501 is worth more than that anyway.

Not true. If his father is under the Digital Home Plan (lease plan before DHA) then it is quite possible that the 501 is leased. Prior to DHP going the way of the dodo the following equipment options were valid as leased:

50x

When I did a dishmover before, I remember that it only cost $99 which I was credited because I agreed to the what at that point was a year contract (I am no longer under contract).

2 questions
#1. Is approximately $99 dollars all it will cost to do get a service call and install a reciever?
#2 If not, and the DISHMover is somekind of special price, is it possible to use dishmover and actually pay the $99 rather than going into the contract? If so, I just move pay the $99, cancel my service, buy a reciever and activate it on my stepfathers account.

To answer a few questions

I have a 522

My stepfather has a 622 and a 508

The 501 that needs to go back is LEASED.

You can split TV1 and TV2 to as many televisions as you want throughout the house and turn the channels with the UHF remote (UHF on TV1 requires another UHF remote to control the TV1 tuner). You could get those wireless audio/video transmitters if you have an issue with running wires.

Ok, I think I've solved my problem. Heres what I think I'm going to do

1. Get DishMover w/o commitment for $99.95
2. Because my stepfather doesn't want to run anymore lines, I'll purchase a 510 (single tuner receiver) for $249
3. Have installer hook up and activate 510, and forget about the 522. Tell him I'll call dish and remove 522 from account.
4. In a few days cancel Dish service
5. Activate 510 reciever on stepfathers account

That should work right?

chadzx11 said:
If you are going to spend $350 on this endevour, why not spring for a DP44 and a seperator for your 522?

Simple because I'm going to go on to my stepfathers account (upstairs), so that I can just pay him $11 ($5 additional reciever and $6 DVR Fee) and recieve Americas Top 180 (maybe soon to be the Everything Pack) rather than paying $55 for Americas Top 120.

Your senerio would mean

$339 Dish 522
$199 DPP-44

and maybe $99 for dish mover because the switch is the built on switch (on the LNBs) and I'm not going on the roof

so that would be $538 or $637 depending vs $350

and I don't really need the 522 (it would be nice but I don't NEED it) and I'm going to have to put it on my cc and pay it off over a few months anyway with the $350 bill

nsafreak said:
Not true. If his father is under the Digital Home Plan (lease plan before DHA) then it is quite possible that the 501 is leased. Prior to DHP going the way of the dodo the following equipment options were valid as leased:

50x
I stand corrected!

Thanks for the info. I found a DPP44 switch on ebay for $91, ordered a 625 and the installer will come on Saturday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)