What will an installer provide/do?

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I am getting ready for an install next week and I'm trying to get prepared, however I don't want to go buy anything the installer will give me, or do anything the installer will (or should) do. I understand it would probably vary by installer, so I'm just asking everyone to give me their opinion on what they think the installer would do/provide. Here are my questions:

1) Are standard co-ax wall plates provided? What about the boxes to mount them on?

2) Will the installer do any wall fishes whatsoever?

3) Will they give me the cable and let me do the wall fish myself? How much will they give?

4) Will they put connectors on the end of coax that's already there?

5) If I need new jumper cables (between wall and receiver, etc.), will they provide those?

6) Should I expect the installer to run a ground wire to my house utility ground?

7) Any other advice on what I should or shouldn't do would be welcome.

Thanks for any info!

1 - No
2 - Not supossed to, but I got my installer to do one ;)
3 - I don't see why not. I think the calbe allotment is supossed to be 100 feet for each tuner, but I doubt they care.
4 - puting a connector on existing coax, don't see a problem there.
5 - Again don't see a problem with making cable to connect to a wall plate if that's what you want.
6 - Yes, grounding is required, usually they'll try to install the dish near the utility to run copper to it, but if not then can put in a grounding rod.

As an installer I will usually do most of the things that you have mentioned if I am asked. I usualy have all the item you have mentioned but I wouldn't count on it so have the wall plates and an old work box avalable in case he doesent have one. If he does have the boxes and plates then you can return them if they are not used.
the best advice is to have the area that the installer is going to work in clean and free of stuff.

All dish systems whould be grounded to eather a cold water pipe or prime grnd for the house. A second grould rod is not proper unless it is bound to the primary grnd.

1) Are standard co-ax wall plates provided?
>>>Yes, unless I run out over the course of the day.

What about the boxes to mount them on?
>>>No

2) Will the installer do any wall fishes whatsoever?
>>>I try not to go in attics period, There is usually too much junk to manuever around in there.

3) Will they give me the cable and let me do the wall fish myself? How much will they give?

>>>Yes, and as much as I would need to get a cable to that TV.

4) Will they put connectors on the end of coax that's already there?
>>>If there is an issue with the ones already there (say, screw ons or improperly prepared).

5) If I need new jumper cables (between wall and receiver, etc.), will they provide those?
>>> If necessary, sure. I'll also swap out the barrel connector with a 3Ghz

6) Should I expect the installer to run a ground wire to my house utility ground?
>>>Always, but it may go to the "raceway", if it is closer than the service ground.

A box for the wall plate is not always desirable. I use "mud rings".

I won't do a fish for free except in rare cases.

Cable and connectors are cheap - and FOR SURE, the connection from wall to receiver has GOT to be included.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)