Help please – Dish 4900 receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sjm992

Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Newark, CA
Yesterday I replaced the sun damaged RG6 from the LNBF (twin) to the ground block after which the receiver (Dish 4900) failed to power up. The light would only stay of for about 5 seconds after a smart card reboot. I tried putting the original cable back but no change. So, what’s gone bad – is it the receiver or the LNBF? Is it normal for a receiver to not power up when a LNBF is not connected – if so then I think I have a bad LNBF. Is there any simple way to test an LNBF with a test meter?
Thanks
Stuart

Yeah, hook up a satellite signal meter and see if the LNB pulls in signal.. As far as the recvr not turning on, it should as long as its plugged in. The LNB actually gets its power from the recvr. So more than likely, the recvr is the problem...if it wont turn on, or stay on...its dead.
-Freya1

Disconnect the 4900 from the Satellite cables after marking them so you can reconnect them. Unplug the receiver from AC power, with nothing plugged in plug the receiver back into AC power see if it will turn on. If it turns on connect the cable to the TV then connect the cable going out to the DISH. If the receiver shuts off you probably have a short in the line someplace. By trial and error connect the receiver to the cablesfrom the receiver out to the dish until you find the short.

boba said:
Disconnect the 4900 from the Satellite cables after marking them so you can reconnect them. Unplug the receiver from AC power, with nothing plugged in plug the receiver back into AC power see if it will turn on. If it turns on connect the cable to the TV then connect the cable going out to the DISH. If the receiver shuts off you probably have a short in the line someplace. By trial and error connect the receiver to the cablesfrom the receiver out to the dish until you find the short.

Trial and error??? You only connect the cable once so your repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting the cables for nothing, your not gonna find a short that way, especially it causing the recvr to shut off. A short in the satellite cable from the dish to the recvr will not cause the recvr shut off. If the recvr will not power up when it is plugged into the wall, it has a power failure... And is dead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts