OTA Antenna signals fluctuate

Bill Harris

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I have Directv, Zoom and OTA ..The OTA is on a coaxial cable alone in my attic and it's a rather large UHF/Vhf antenna. The signal fluctuates according to my Sondy HD300 signal meter from Poor to Good but usually closer to poor. I know they all fluctuate.. I have a Pre-Amplifier in the attic as it comes out of the antenna but I don't think it is good enough. Do you know of a good with gain control and do you think that would help?
Thanks for you help in advance.
Bill

You have a lot of variables Bill, Signal fluctuates because of multipath, an underpowered signal or overpowerd one. ]
How far are you from the towers? Do you have any obstructions such as tall buildings or trees? Sounds like the antenna is in your attic, what is your roof made of? Any large metal objects like a air conditioner?
Is your anatenna pointed in the most optimum direction? Check www.antennaweb.org for location to tower.
Whatt kind of antenna are you using?

Yeah it is in the attic..We are in a 2 story home and the roof is wood shake shingles. We are only about 9 to 10 miles from the towers. Do you think moving it to the top of the roof would be the answer. I hate to be able for the neighbors to see the antenna.
It's a large 4' 8' Antenna and I don't know the brand. I bought it from a local store that sells a lot of HDTV's and related equipment.

Bill Harris said:
Yeah it is in the attic..We are in a 2 story home and the roof is wood shake shingles. We are only about 9 to 10 miles from the towers. Do you think moving it to the top of the roof would be the answer. I hate to be able for the neighbors to see the antenna.

Antennas on the roof are status symbols-- they scream I have HD :D
Your pretty close to the towers. If they are all in the same place I would check the orientation of the antanna.
Is there a foil backing under the shingles? That can play havoc also.
As close as you are I would remove the amp and see what happens. You could be overpowering the signal.
Have you tried connecting to the Voom box and seeing what you get for signals?

It's a large 4' 8' Antenna and I don't know the brand. I bought it from a local store that sells a lot of HDTV's and related equipment.

Sorry about the double post..You are exactly right the shingles are foil-backed. I am moving it too the roof Wednesday and I am sure that will cure the whole problem. I really appreciate you calling my attention to that. There's nothing like HDTV..
Thanks
Bill

Bill Harris said:
Sorry about the double post..You are exactly right the shingles are foil-backed. I am moving it too the roof Wednesday and I am sure that will cure the whole problem. I really appreciate you calling my attention to that. There's nothing like HDTV..
Thanks
Bill
Glad to be of help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts