Help please with 1 more channel - Fox WNYW - Manhattan

jaynyc

Feb 2, 2014
New York, NY
Hi. Am located in a low rise apartment building in Manhattan.
Using a Tivo Roamio and Clearstream antenna (indoor), I successfully and pretty reliably receive
2-1 CBS
4-1 NBC
7-1 ABC
11-1 WPIX
13-1 WNET

What I need help with is 5-1 WNYW (Fox)

5-1 "comes in" but is very blocky and stuttery.

For example:
4-1 on the Roamio signal level is steady at 72 (peak)
11-1 is steady at 68 (peak=72)
13-1 is steady at 72 (peak=75)
However, 5-1 is steady at 44 (peak=50)

How do I receive 5-1 steadily without losing my other channels?
Yes, I have already tried every conceivable location in my apartment to place the Clearstream antenna and where it currently resides is the "best place" since I get all the other channels except 5-1.

What are strategies for achieving "1 more channel" in an OTA-HD context?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Hi. Am located in a low rise apartment building in Manhattan.
Using a Tivo Roamio and Clearstream antenna (indoor), I successfully and pretty reliably receive
2-1 CBS
4-1 NBC
7-1 ABC
11-1 WPIX
13-1 WNET

What I need help with is 5-1 WNYW (Fox)

5-1 "comes in" but is very blocky and stuttery.

For example:
4-1 on the Roamio signal level is steady at 72 (peak)
11-1 is steady at 68 (peak=72)
13-1 is steady at 72 (peak=75)
However, 5-1 is steady at 44 (peak=50)

How do I receive 5-1 steadily without losing my other channels?
Yes, I have already tried every conceivable location in my apartment to place the Clearstream antenna and where it currently resides is the "best place" since I get all the other channels except 5-1.

What are strategies for achieving "1 more channel" in an OTA-HD context?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Your problem is probably interference. There are strong enough reflected signals that they prevent the TiVo tuner from staying locked. Moving the antenna outside (patio?) adding a signal amplifier would be guesses. Adding an amplifier probably won't work because it amplifies interference also.

If the FCC data is right then WNYW's antenna is still in a low spot on the Empire State Building mast. A tall building in between you and the transmitter has a better chance of blocking WNYW than the others on your list. Your best hope is to place the antenna in a room that faces the Empire State Building and try tilting it upward. If you have no line of site then you're going to have to get lucky with a signal bounce off of another building or try a more directional type antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts