Help please!!

88dr88

Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Losing lots of hair over this>>>>>

I have recently purchased a new hdtv for my bedroom. I am currently getting signal from tv/2 of a vip 722. I don't mind sat signal not being hd, but I would like to add a ota antenna to it so that I can at least watch hd from my locals. I am having a devil of a time getting any info on how to do this. My tv has only one antenna input......I do not know what can be done. I would appreciate the help.:confused::confused::confused:

I have recently purchased a new hdtv for my bedroom. I am currently getting signal from tv/2 of a vip 722. I don't mind sat signal not being hd, but I would like to add a ota antenna to it so that I can at least watch hd from my locals. I am having a devil of a time getting any info on how to do this. My tv has only one antenna input......I do not know what can be done. I would appreciate the help.:confused::confused::confused:

I have posted this in the technical section as well. Thanks to all.

The only way t can be done is go to TV1 and start recording the show you want to watch on TV2, then go to TV2 and start watching the recording.

The new ViP 722k will have two OTA tuners into it which will allows TV two to watch live OTA broadcasts.

You are running a coaxial cable from your 722 to your new TV? Why don't you run an HDMI cable or some other connection from your 722 so that you can use the coaxial for your OTA antenna?

Either that or you could just buy a simple A/B switch and plug both into the switch, plug the switch into the TV and just switch between your Sat. and OTA via the switch...

The only way t can be done is go to TV1 and start recording the show you want to watch on TV2, then go to TV2 and start watching the recording.

The new ViP 722k will have two OTA tuners into it which will allows TV two to watch live OTA broadcasts.

Scott will the new 722S with slingblade media in it have the same two ota tuners as well? Will you be able to sling the picture of tv2 to another room like with the sling catcher ? These two questions I keep asking but never get any answers to.

use a splitter to combine the OTA and the tv2 signal, just make sure the tv2 signal is a high enough channel number so that it doesn't interfere with any of your OTA channels.

Or, you can pick up an A/B switch at your local radio shack

Set the modulator output of the 722 to a frequenct not sued in your area for analog or digital. Befire the signal gets to the TV combine them with simple combier/splitter.

Scott will the new 722S with slingblade media in it have the same two ota tuners as well? Will you be able to sling the picture of tv2 to another room like with the sling catcher ? These two questions I keep asking but never get any answers to.
Yes it is supposed to. :)

when is the 722k/722s due to come out scott? i want it:D

We have this identical setup as the OP. I have a $4 splitter combining the UHF from the OTA and the other side is the coax coming out of our 622...works perfectly.

I don't recall our channel, but I think we are on 71 or something like that.

If you can get your locals over the air and your bedroom TV has an ATSC tuner, just combine the antenna and the receiver output and feed it into the TV. Then you just change channels to the Dish channel to watch Dish and other channels will be OTA HD.

I caught a dish guy in the hood, and he gave me a diplexer. I tried several different hookups and still cannot get it to work correctly. I set the modulator to air, tried cable, still get interference. When I get the antenna to tune well, the dish channel is really snowy. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I use an amplifer with an insertion port on it. I have the feeds from the 622s fed back up to the attic on their own cable, combined then enter the insertion port of the amp. The amplifer/splitter has 2 inputs, one for antenna one for insertions, and 4 outputs to TVs.

I use the Channel Vision CVT-2/4PIA II Channel Vision Technology : RF Amplifiers . note it has 2 ports, one for antenna and one for modulator in. I see from the web page it is discontinued but they have an 8 TV version.

I caught a dish guy in the hood, and he gave me a diplexer. I tried several different hookups and still cannot get it to work correctly. I set the modulator to air, tried cable, still get interference. When I get the antenna to tune well, the dish channel is really snowy. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong.

A diplexer is the wrong thing. You just need a basic splitter-combiner. Just make sure you pick a modulator channel for TV2 that doesn't pick up interference from broadcast channels. A good way to test is to tune the TV to different channels and avoid any that have a picture (even a snowy one), rolling bars, etc. If it's just a nice plain static, that would be a good channel to try.

The only splitters I have seen have two out with one in. Do i simply hook the ota to one out, and the tv2 coax to the other with the in running to the ant input of the tv?

I do the same thing as follows.
Feed the OTA to the antenna input on the TV.
Set an old VCR at the TV, feed the dish to the VCR and set the VCR to channel 60, connect the VCR to the TV using component cables, change input on the tv as needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)