Help pointing TURBO HD DISH 1000.2

mcraul

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
So i finally got a TURBO HD DISH 1000.2 dish and I am installing it myself but I'm having an issue. When I went to dishpointer.com it gave me the following for 110 119

Elevation: 32.3°
Azimuth (true): 222.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 226.3°
LNB Skew [?]: 30.5°
Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°

Elevation: 36.8°
Azimuth (true): 212.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 215.5°
LNB Skew [?]: 23.3°

But on my dish It does not go past 160. So how can I set my Azimuth to 226?

I attached a pic to illustrate my point.
Thanks

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/raulito/4516151662/"]042 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2795/4516151662_0fd1629480_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@4516151662@@AMEPARAM@@0fd1629480[/ame]

Azimuth is Left to right, not the Skew or Tilt.

If you have a 1000.2 , They you want to look at the Dishpointer for the 3 satellite combo " Dish 1000.2 ( 110,119,129)"

Thanks Hemi
thats where I got those numbers from the Dishpointer site.

Skew is the Tilt of the dish. That Turns the reflector like a steering wheel.
Elevation is the Up and down of the reflector.
Azimuth is the Left to right movement of the reflector. This is the last step, and if you have a compass that will help you get an idea of where to start.

Step 1 Make sure your mast is 100% plumb/Level
Step 2 Set skew to the proper setting. Tighten fully
Step 3 Set the Elevation to the proper setting , But don't Tighten 100% just Yet. Just Tighten 1 bolt for now.
Step 4 Find your Azimuth with a compass or satellite finder prefered.
Step 5 Establish a Signal, and run a check switch once you feel you locked all 3 satellites
Step 6 Do the final peaking left to right and the Elevation 1 at a time, to get the best possible average numbers.
Step 7 Tighten all the bolts

Ok maybe im confused by what the skew is etc.
On the dish there are two settings skew and Elevation.
So where would I find the Azimuth?

Ohh I see so with the compass I find the azimuth and then set it.
There is another issue tho my skew does not go past 40 so how can i set settings like 30.5?
Or Go lower than 40 I should say.

THanks!

So where would I find the Azimuth?
You won't there is no scale on the dish for that, because there are several ways the dish could be mounted, so a scale wouldn't be accurite.
You need a compass.
And you really should have a satellite finder.
Dish receivers are a pain to use as a satellite finder.
If they don't receive a signal, they won't show any satellites on your receiver.
Then its a real big pain in the ass, without a signal finder.

What satellites are currently in your receivers, before the new dish?

OK where are you located? What City and State?

You may not be able to use this setup.
You have to enter in the Dishpointer the 1000.2 Setup
You can't go by , Just the 119, or just the 110

Ohh wait I was looking at the wrong setttings I didnt do a search for the combo so I did which gave me these results.

LNB Skew [?]: 30.5°
Dish Skew [?]: 120.5°

But the question still stands my elevation does not go lower than 40 so how do I do this for an elevation of 32.3?

Thanks!

Here
Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 41.5792°
Longitude: -87.5050°
Name: Dish 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W)​

Dish Skew [?]: 120.5°

But the question still stands my elevation does not go lower than 40 so how do I do this for an elevation of 32.3?

Elevation goes lower than 40. I had it set at 14 for 61.5 here in the West Coast. You set the skew and leave it alone, then set the elevation. Azimunth is left to right like Hemi said and you go slow until you find it.

For a 1000.2 dish, the easiest way is to cover the outer eyes (lnbs) and just leave the middle one uncovered (that's 119). Peak 119 and then uncover the other eyes, run check switch.

Thanks for the tip RandallA.
I'll try this again tomrow as it is getting dark out.
I was able to get 119 but with only like 57% strength and 110 was not coming in at all.
I think the base shifted and the Azimuth is off now.

Thanks for the tip RandallA.
I'll try this again tomrow as it is getting dark out.
I was able to get 119 but with only like 57% strength and 110 was not coming in at all.
I think the base shifted and the Azimuth is off now.

That is where the fun begins if you are using the receiver to point. You'll never find 110 even if you are dead on it. You'll have to do a check switch when you are on 110 to find it. Then your receiver will know which port 110 is on. Same goes for 129.

That is where the fun begins if you are using the receiver to point. You'll never find 110 even if you are dead on it. You'll have to do a check switch when you are on 110 to find it. Then your receiver will know which port 110 is on. Same goes for 129.

That is a pain. I remember my first go round finally got lucky right before I was going to call it quits.

An inline analog meter or W bracket can save some headaches.

The other option is if you know someone else with the same dish take your receiver to their house and run a check switch.

That is a pain. I remember my first go round finally got lucky right before I was going to call it quits.

An inline analog meter or W bracket can save some headaches.

The other option is if you know someone else with the same dish take your receiver to their house and run a check switch.

Yep.. it was pain to me since I didn't know it...even had an analog meter to help but of course that doesn't work too well since it can't send the commands to switch over the switch in the LNB.

If I would have known that, it would have taken me 20 minutes instead of close to an hour. Once I figured that part out I dialed in 110 very easily, then inched over and found 129. Once I had all three in the switch matrix I could find the sweet spot between the 3. Pointing the 1000.2 with the receiver will make you appreciate a nice digital meter real quick!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts