Help: Should I or Shouldn't I???

rolandv said:
On the other hand, I would have to have 6 60 hour Tivos to get 100 hours of BEST quality recordings. The 522 has 100 hours of BEST quality, because it only records in BEST quality. That, and the fact that it's like having 2 tivos is what I love so much about it. You can record whatever you want without worrying about space. If two shows are on at the same time you can record both of them AND watch whatever you've already recorded. I love it.
You must be comparing the 522 to a "standalone" Tivo... DirecTivos also have dual tuners and only record in "best" mode (i.e. they record the MPEG compressed satellite data - you get the identical video on playback as when viewed live).

So bottom line: is there any difference between the recording and playback(both video and audio) in the 522 compared to the Directv Tivo?

palermo22 said:
So bottom line: is there any difference between the recording and playback(both video and audio) in the 522 compared to the Directv Tivo?

Honestly, if I had DirecTV already I MIGHT go with a DirecTivo box, but probably not. The thing is you can't use a DirecTivo with 2 TV's. The 522 can connect to two TV's in two different rooms. Both TV's have the ability to record and watch their own shows using the 1 box. Also, I could be wrong, but I think DirecTivo's only give you 40 hours of recording. That's nothing compared to 100 hours. The ability to use one box for 2 rooms saves me $5 because I don't get an "additional receiver" fee. I'm not sure how much the DirecTivo programming costs, but I think it's more than $5 unless you have like one of those $90 premium packages.

So, there are pros and cons to both, but for me the 522 is more bang for the buck.

I have the Directv tivo - I purchased mine a little over a year ago and I get 35 hours worth of programming. I also do pay for one additional outlet. For their total choice package with HBO and local channels and using the Tivo and one additional outlet - I am paying $62! For that reason and because I can get the Sprint $5 discount - I am contemplating a change.

I think that E* has decided to extend the promotion until the end of the year so you have time to make your informed decision. I have seen a few quirks with the 522 but not all that bad. I used to have the 501 and really do like having 100 hours over 20 hours of storage space. I essentially had no problems what so ever with the 501 so it amazes me that E* cannot get the 522 worked out. I work for a company where I am a Test Engineer, our products are buggy as hell at first, but we work them out, it does boggle my mind E* cannot get theirs worked out. In addition, I may be wrong but does the 522 not remember the last two hours of recording (bearing you have not changed the channel)?

palermo22 said:
I have the Directv tivo - I purchased mine a little over a year ago and I get 35 hours worth of programming. I also do pay for one additional outlet. For their total choice package with HBO and local channels and using the Tivo and one additional outlet - I am paying $62! For that reason and because I can get the Sprint $5 discount - I am contemplating a change.

I have the DN Americas Top 120, local channels, and HBO/Cinemax package. For this I pay $56 plus taxes. Right around $62 all in all.

I have the 522 unit connected to two separate TVs and a phone to the unit so I don't have to pay the $4.99 charge if you don't have a phone to it.

But heres my stance on the DVRs. "If" I had never had a Tivo before I would be tickled pink in what the 522 can do, DVR wise that is. But since I have had, and still do have, Tivo I can see the many short comings of the 522 as a DVR.

Not to say I'm ragging on it or anything like that. I think its a great unit. Granted its in its infancy and has lots of bugs that may or may not affect you. I've had the stuck recordings that you discover 8 hours later and have to cancel before it wipes out the rest of your recordings. I've had the failed timer events. I've had the 1 or 2 hour updates too. But I still like this unit. Since I do still have a Tivo I'll trust it to record what I definitely don't want to miss and let the 522 catch the rest.

So in essence I think I'm saying what some others have said. The $5 savings is not going to materialize as savings. If you have DirecTivo and like it you may get a sour surprise with the 522. Not to say the 522 is POS just that its a very buggy, unreliable, DVR at this point. But it will get better. Even Tivo wasn't 100% on day one. :)

I think you all have convinced me to wait this out a bit longer - $5 (or even $10) savings is not a sufficient savings based on the problems some are having with the 522. Perhaps by the end of the year this murky picture will become clearer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)