Help - Spoke to a E* supervisor

dish_dtv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Hi!

I just got off the phone with an E* supervisor, trying to upgrade to a DVR-625 from my old 301. Here were the options that I got:
1. Upgrade to 625 with an 18-month commitment for $70 (LEASED Equipment).
2. Buy a 510 for $120 with no-commitment, and I'd own the equipment.

Experts, could you weigh in with your opinion on the deals offered. Also, if you could help me with the pros/cons of upgrading to 510 or 625, that'd be most helpful.

The supervisor had no answer for me when I pointed out that http://www.dishnetwork.com has a $50 free-upgrade to 625 with NO commitment (or Free upgrade to 625 with 18-month commitment) for their new customers, and why they could not offer that to me. They don't seem to care for old customers (I've been an E* customer since 2000).

Thanks!

You're correct that existing customers are usually shafted when it comes to the upgrades. I don't have any experience with either model you mentioned, but consider that with an owned unit you won't be charged a monthly lease fee (you'll need to confirm that for your particular subscription) so eventually you will have a payback on your $120 investment, probably within 2 years. If you think you'll keep it that long then that might work out well for you...

dish_dtv said:
Hi!

I just got off the phone with an E* supervisor, trying to upgrade to a DVR-625 from my old 301. Here were the options that I got:

Experts, could you weigh in with your opinion on the deals offered. Also, if you could help me with the pros/cons of upgrading to 510 or 625, that'd be most helpful.

The supervisor had no answer for me when I pointed out that http://www.dishnetwork.com has a $50 free-upgrade to 625 with NO commitment (or Free upgrade to 625 with 18-month commitment) for their new customers, and why they could not offer that to me. They don't seem to care for old customers (I've been an E* customer since 2000).

Thanks!

A 625 is a dual tuner. Meaning that you could have two rooms hooked up versus the one room the 510 would offer. Of course the 625 is a more updated version anyway, maybe someone else knows the exact specifics.

I would much rather lease than own, personally. Future upgrades will be less painful and the 5 or 6 bucks a month for the equipment warranty is much easier than buying a new box if something happens to the 510.

That's all I have for ya. I'm sure theres a thread about this somewhere around here, you might have to do some searching for more info.

dish_dtv said:
Hi!

Thanks!
The Dishin it up promotion is a 18 month lease and is setup with DISH rating the customer as A B or C based on their assement of the customer. An "A" customer pays $49 for the upgrade a "B" customer pays $79 and a "C" customer pays $99. That is the promotion TAKE OR LEAVE IT. If you don't like what they will do for you you can leave and go to D* or cable.:)

the 510 has a 5.98 DVR fee (waived with AAEP) and is a single tuner unit
The 625 is a dual tuner so you have the 5.98 fee + a 4.99 extra receiver fee (if you plug it into the phone line they dont charge the phone fee)

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies, espl. IceBerg and boba

My issue (as an existing customer) is that why should I pay an additional $5.00 lease fee in addition to the $5.98 DVR fee, when I am replacing my old 301 with 625 and when a new customer does not (since, it is considered as their first equipment). In effect by upgrading to a leased DVR, I end up shelling out an additional $10.98 per month (granted, I get 2-room service) for the DVR features, which I find a bit much. I can't quite fathom their reasoning behind charging new customers only $5.98 and charging existing ones $10.98 to use the same service.

Oh well!

iafirebuff said:
I was offered a 625 for free if I sent in my 510. I opted for the 622 though. I was dealing with ceo@echostar.com

Just wanted to say Thanks for the E-mail Address!!! I just update my BR TV to a Sony HD set and I have been wanting to update my 311 to a 211. Everyone I talked to said I would half to waite a year. Well I knew it had been close to one since the lasttime I did a upgrade. Well I E-mailed them to the address above and have been speaking to E* about the upgrade. They are going to let me upgrade my 311 with NO extra commitment to a 211 for $49.99. I dont half to send anything back and they should be able to get me installed sometime next week.. Which it should not take long since they just half to active the 211. Anyway Thanks!!

I'm not so sure the new customer would pay less each month. However, you might want to consider getting a 508 or 721, and avoid the DVR fees entirely. Granted, they are single room receivers. These are for sale off and on by retailers or on eBay.

New subscribers don't pay the lease fee ($5) for the first receiver

From what I understood, new subscribers don't pay the $5.00 lease fee. They only have to pay the usual $5.98 monthly DVR fee. Also, unless they want a free equipment upgrade ($49.99 credit), they don't even have to sign up for the usual 18-month commitment.

From all this, it looks like E* treats new customers better.

Glad something worked out for you! Enjoy! That email address is a good one to keep handy :)

Poke said:
Just wanted to say Thanks for the E-mail Address!!! I just update my BR TV to a Sony HD set and I have been wanting to update my 311 to a 211. Everyone I talked to said I would half to waite a year. Well I knew it had been close to one since the lasttime I did a upgrade. Well I E-mailed them to the address above and have been speaking to E* about the upgrade. They are going to let me upgrade my 311 with NO extra commitment to a 211 for $49.99. I dont half to send anything back and they should be able to get me installed sometime next week.. Which it should not take long since they just half to active the 211. Anyway Thanks!!

There is a $5.00 a month lease fee on a 625 after you pay $70? I dont think that is correct. If so then just buy a 625, it would make no sense at all to lease one when you can get one on ebay for around $150.

Any user, new or existing will have to pay the 5.98 DVR service fee unless they have AEP, in which the fee is waived. However if the 625 is not plugged in they will charge the extra $5 no matter what. New customer or old there is no way around it unless you plug it into a phone line. Is that the $5 you are refering to?

$5 lease fee is for renting the equipment

The way that both the CSR and the supervisor broke down the costs were:
$70 to be able to upgrade equipment
$5.98/mo fee for DVR
$5.00/mo lease fee (rental)
$5.00/mo additional receiver fee (waived, if 625 is kept hooked to phone line)

Apparently, a new 625 costs $283.00 from local retailers.

Considering that I have the Top 120 + Locals, I'll be looking at $44.99 + $5.00 + $5.98 = $54.98/mo for SD with DVR. A tad much, only because of the stupid $5 lease fee. According to the CSR, even if I am swapping out my old 301 for the 625 or any other receiver, it's considered a 2nd receiver, and the $5.00 monthly lease fee kicks in automatically, which they cannot waive under any circumstances.

Yes, I'm inclined towards the 625 too, since it's a much newer receiver with 2-room option compared to the 510 and NBR too.

Thanks!

Yes if you own the 625 as a additional reciver it will be $5 a month or if you lease the reciver under Dishin' It Up you will pay $5 a month for the lease fee. Ony diffrence made is if it is the only reciver you own. Any why the better way to go i think is leased, because if any thing goes wrong after 1 year if the reciver is leased dish still takes care of it!! Only way you dont pay the $5 a month is if you own it and it's the only reciver you have on the acct.

Iceberg said:
the 510 has a 5.98 DVR fee (waived with AAEP) and is a single tuner unit
The 625 is a dual tuner so you have the 5.98 fee + a 4.99 extra receiver fee (if you plug it into the phone line they dont charge the phone fee)

You only pay the extra receiver fee for a new unit. The extra tuner doesn't cost that.

I currently have two 522s, each with 2 tuners. I only pay a single extra receiver fee.

If I upgrade to a 622 at some point, I would go for a leased unit since that extra receiver fee I pay will be replaced by a lease fee. :)

Brad

"...because if any thing goes wrong after 1 year if the reciver is leased dish still takes care of it!!..."

I don't think so. Just as with a leased car, you (usually) have to pay for repairs. After the initial period, it's time to start paying for the Protection Plan. A wise investment, IMHO.

Sorry to have to correct you but, unlike a leased car, all equipment leased from dish is under a perpetual warranty - there is a UPS shipping charged if something has to be replaced - anywhere from $8.95 to $14.95

Interesting. I just upgraded to a 622 and my paper work does not say that I have a perpetual warranty. If I want that, I must buy the protection plan, or so I was told. If this is true, then why buy the plan?

This is from Dish. I just wonder, if it is incuded with a lease, then why do they word the terms like this?

2. Eligibility
This Plan is available to new and existing DISH Network customers who purchase or lease DISH Network hardware products. The Plan monthly fee of $5.99 includes coverage for up to 6 receivers. The Plan is only extended to the original customer who enrolled in the Plan and is non-transferable. You represent and warrant that the hardware for which you are seeking coverage are in proper operating condition at the start of the warranty coverage and that your DISH Network account is current and in good standing. No activation fee is required for customers purchasing the Plan for the first time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts