HELP! Static on VCRS channels when graphics or bright scenes appear

Status
Please reply by conversation.

c4net

Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Lafayette, La.
HELP!
I have been experiencing almost UNBEARABLE static on VCRS channels (CNN, HN, FOX News, TWC) when graphics or bright scenes appear! It's so bad, it nearly drowns out the audio completely! (There is also some slight "tearing" (for lack of a better description) of the top 1/4 of the picture, as though it is smeared 1 to 2" from left to right; this also jitters/flickers at the same frequency as the static, which is more accurately almost a rapid popping noise.) At it's worst, I actually lose the VCII lock on the signal for several seconds before it comes back. And this is all the time, not Sun Fade.

I have a 10' BUD with a GI 2750 and Chapperal Corotor. I've tried changing the LNB to a brand new 15 deg. I've tweaked my dish's aim. I've made every adjustment to the dish and receiver that I know, but it's still there. Signal strengths seem good..no sparkles on the deep reds...I'm stumped!

Any and all comments, questions or suggestions welcomed.
Sincerely,

C4Net

"Thirsty Ignorance Knows No Pride!" - Me, today

Have you changed to a new Servo Motor? When I had my BUD and had issues it was never the feedhorn or LNB, but the Servo.

It's most likely the receiver or the VCRS module. Have you tried unplugging the receiver, removing the the VCRS module and reinstalling it. Sometimes the connections go bad. I had a 4dtv 920 that had the same problems that you have. I put the VCRS module in my old Uniden and it worked fine. It turned out that my 4dtv 920 receiver was the problem. I replaced it with a 922 and have had no problems since then.

From my experience the problem is probably related to your receiver. The baseband video level that is being fed to the VCRS is to high or low. When this occurs the symptoms you described can happen.

Some receivers have an adjustment pot (control) on the PCB (circuit board) that can be adjusted that will change the level and cure your problem. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if they can help. Since GI is now being handled by Motorola I would give them a call and see if there tech support will be able to help. Motorola's # is 800-976-5174

if it doesn't have a adjustment the most likely cost effective way is going to be replacement... the GI 550i and 650i are both good receivers and can be had cheaply via ebay. or if your looking to get programming the 4dtv receivers 920 & 922 might be of interest. and for ku only subscription reception the 410 is now hitting the market from skyvision.

if it doesn't have a adjustment the most likely cost effective way is going to be replacement... the GI 550i and 650i are both good receivers and can be had cheaply via ebay. or if your looking to get programming the 4dtv receivers 920 & 922 might be of interest. and for ku only subscription reception the 410 is now hitting the market from skyvision.

Thanks for the input...you mention the video gain pot on the pcb...do you mean on the VCRS or on the Rcvr itself?

I do recall some of the older GI units, like the 2100E standalone descrambler having a Comp. Video Gain pot. right on the back of the unit. But I don't think this one has that. (I'm not at home now so I can't check)

I noticed mine doing this too but Ive only got one channel thats analog sub
G5-24
It seems to do this on only this channel so must be related to VCRS.

yea and Ive let about 3 spares "die " also
cant leave them laying around or the battery dies.
I need to get a good one and put a new battery
in it before my other goes completely out.

If a receiver has an input level adjustment, it's usually on the back panel. It could be a small knob you turn or a hole where a small screwdriver is inserted but I believe the 2750 has an automatic gain control circuit and not a manual control. Just for fun, have you tried to adjust the settings in the audio sub-menu. There should be items to select the type of audio (mono, matrix, stereo, VCII), audio bandwidth (wide, narrow) and auto sub-carrier seek. Good luck.

I found one at a bargain rate that the seller says "battery replaced"
Mine only acts up every once in a while so if I have a spare on hand
it wont act up again ;^)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)