HELP - STB Channel Surf/Picture Freeze/Installation menu N/A..

rbootss

Sep 3, 2004
HELP - Sat. March 12, 2005

Over the past few days..ALL Three of my set top boxes are showing the following symptons:

1) - Channel Surf using remote brings up channels in an out of order
sequence..very annoying..

2) - Channel Surf using remote occasionally freezes picture..

3) - The picture will freeze without any remote input or warning..

4) - Guide info brings up wrong channel info..

5) - Installation Wizard does not come up..

My STB Software version is 02.4C(7.37).. I've rebooted/powered
cycled on/off STB several times and the problems remain.

Here are my 3 HD/TV systems and info..

1) - Sony KDF70XBR950
DVI 1080

2) - Samsung 400T
Component 1080

3) - RCA 38" HDTV
Video 480

Thanks

Roy in DC..
Otherwise a happy VOOM supporter..

I've been getting similar issues over the past few days on both my boxes.

Guide channels are out of sequence and occasionally I only get channel numbers, no names. And the box has started locking up, even when not surfing or using the guide, requiring a reboot to resolve.

Seems to have started after we got the five new channels, so hopefully the rumored new channels this weekend will sort things out again.

DC DMA Map - Dorked!!!

Roy, I posted similar findings in the DC area and Report Missing DMA Channels threads. All three of my receivers are having these problems: hiding channels, VOOM channels appearing/disappearing from the local channel menu, entire channel ranges disappearing/reappearing (i.e. change channel from 100 and I am taking to 128). This has been going on since I received the DC DMA Map Thursday morning. The STBs are still usable, but this is annoying.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=393793&postcount=12
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=392779&postcount=277

Anyway, all the VOOM channels just went blank (OTA is working fine). Here is my original post:

I am finally receiving PG data for Baltimore channels as part of the DC Super DMA Map, but I had to reboot my receivers when I returned from work and I am experiencing mixed results:

Receiver #1 - receive PG data for the Baltimore channels (2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 11-1, 13-1, 22-2 thru 22-6, 45-1, 54-1, 67-2 thru 67-6) However, the channels keep hiding and then reappearing. :confused:

Receiver #2 - the Baltimore channels above are in the local channels area (most were already there), but no PG data is being received.

Receiver #3 - same as receiver #1.

Item 1: PG for subchannels 9-2, WUSA-DT weather channel, and 7-2, WJLA-DT weather channel, is not being provided - missing channels.

Item 2: Besides the hiding/reappearing channels, I am sometimes seeing the system hickup and the VOOM channels appearing in the local channels area - they will usually disappear when I page back and forward. I haven't tried to hide a VOOM channel for fear of it disappearing forever.

Item 3: The little green satellite icon was on Receiver #1 this morning; this usually happens during a software updated. I had turned it off the night before and I didn't have time to check it this am. Receiver #2, which was also power off before I turned in last night, did not turn on when I pressed the on button. I did a soft reboot to recover the receiver and then left for work. I didn't have time to check Receiver #3. I'm not too happy with the DMA Map. Of course, I have picked up over 60 channels from 4 DMAs during previous scans and have duplicate RF channels coming from different directions (i.e. RF46 in both Baltimore and Charlottesville)

Item 4: When changing channels (+ or -) the channel channel changes to something entirely different...this happened on at least one receiver. Example: last night I hit the channel + key while on Lifetime (wife was watching, not me!), channel 524, and I was taken to INVOOM, channel 700. Likewise, I would hit the INFO button while on Lifetime and it would display INVOOM, channel 700, on the status bar. This happened with other channels as well. Strange.

Item 5: An example of Item 4. I'm on channel 100 and the PG label area displays 100 HDNEWS-->channel up to and PG label area display 101 with no label information-->hit the info button and the label area displays the channel as being 62-2 (WPTD2), which is a hidden local channel-->manually enter 101 on the remote and it briefly shows 110 FAMILYRM, but jumps to 54-2 (WB54-DT which is also hidden)-->toggle the +- or enter channel and it will eventually right itself. The PG is being corrupted!

Item 6: WTTG-DT, Fox5, has always been a PITA. This is the only channel that will lockup the receiver when checking system status (HELP, INFO, OK) to see signal levels.

Also, while I am technically in the DC DMA (55+ miles), both Antennaweb and CheckHD tell me that I should be receiving digitals from Richmond (51+ miles) and Charlottesville (53+ miles), which I do. I am not receiving PG data for the following channels because they were not included in the DC DMA Map:

Missing Channels IMO

Richmond - basically all the channels in their DMA: WRIC-DT 8-1 and 8-2 (RF22), WTVR-DT 6-1 (RF26), WRLH-DT 35-1 (RF26), WCVE-DT 23-1 (RF42), WCVW-DT 44-1 (RF44), WWBT-DT 12-1, 12-2, 12-3 (RF54)

Charlottesville - the entire DMA which consists of WVIR-DT 29-1 (RF32) and WHTJ-DT 41-1 (RF46)

Oh well, I wonder if VOOM/Moto can create a DMA Map for Fredericksburg/Spotsy. Anyone else having these issues? Also, I noticed my Authorization Status is now MW. It is usually SWO and will change to MP after reboot while the receiver is downloading PG data, but I have never seen MW. What does MW mean? Lastly, all receivers are running the latest & greatest firmware 7.37. Motorola Engineers please feel free to send me a PM.

Baahumbug said:
I've been getting similar issues over the past few days on both my boxes.

Guide channels are out of sequence and occasionally I only get channel numbers, no names. And the box has started locking up, even when not surfing or using the guide, requiring a reboot to resolve.

Seems to have started after we got the five new channels, so hopefully the rumored new channels this weekend will sort things out again.
Baahumbug, in my case this started happening as soon as I received the DC DMA Super Map.

Placed a call into VOOM. The CSR was going to place a service call until I had him research the problem with his supervisor. In a nutshell, there is a known problem in the area and a VOOM engineer will contact me at some unknown time in the distant future.

Anyway, added Item 5 as a good example of what I am seeing with the PG...which is somehow being corrupted.

I am having these issues as well since the super DMA.Hope they fix this soon becoming really annoying.

riffjim4069 said:
Baahumbug, in my case this started happening as soon as I received the DC DMA Super Map.

Could be the same here, however I am not too sure if/when I got the DMA upgrade, so I cannot confirm.

The lock-ups are getting worse though! I've been doing some kitchen remodelling at home today and had to stop three times already to reboot the box. (I use an audio output from the STB to feed my whole house audio system, and point blank refuse to work without music :no ).

Last time I rebooted, message came up on screen saying no satellite signal, however a quick channel up then channel down and the signal reappeared. Signal strength still around 95.

Going to swap the box with my bedroom STB this evening to see if there is any improvement. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

I have noticed my VOOM STB is locking up regularly in the past 3-4 days. I had no previous problems. I live in northern Virginia (DC map ?) and see local channels mismatched, etc.

I will call VOOM but it must be a software and not hardware issue.

Don

"riffjim4069" I know you are a long time poster on here...

riffjim4069 said:
Placed a call into VOOM. The CSR was going to place a service call until I had him research the problem with his supervisor. In a nutshell, there is a known problem in the area and a VOOM engineer will contact me at some unknown time in the distant future.

Anyway, added Item 5 as a good example of what I am seeing with the PG...which is somehow being corrupted.

and assume Sean will see your post and pass it on to the VOOM engineers. We had a problem with a missing local HD channel late last summer after having it for 6-7 mts. I posted this on VOOM/Yahoo, Wilt got it to the VOOM engineer and with his help it was resolved. So, you might post there if Sean is unable to help you.

Sun, sun, sun-when is it going to end? in Seattle but still enjoying HDTV, Gill

Guys,

I am also in the DC area and I am having the exact same problems. It is VERY annoying. Hope they can fix it sometime soon. The wife is losing patience! Thanks.

Jamie

Just a quick look this morning and the DC area S-DMA appears to have been worked on last night: no lockup, no more out-of-sequence channels, not having a problem hiding/unhiding channels. Didn't have to reboot the receivers this morning...new PG appears to have been pushed last night. So far, so good! Appreciate VOOM/Moto engineers working on this problem. How is everyone else doing this am?

Past few days the only issues that we have had is picture freezes,stb shows only locals and satellite service is not there.Only way to fix it is to reboot,sometimes a soft does it but atleast 50%on the time it needs a hard reboot

DC Super-DMA problem continues..

To all..

My stated previous problem with..Channel surf out of sequence..lock-up's..freeze-up..incorrect guide info..Still missing Installation Wizard continues..

I'm NOT a happy VOOM customer..Very annoying and frustrating..Called CSR..They have NO clue and mentioned if this forum says there is a problem then it must be right..But they could not pass on my problem to their support engineer staff..Very inefficient..

Ilya - Yes I know the difference between factory reset and hard reboot..NOT an Idiot here..

I wish someone from the VOOM SatelliteGuys moderators would have some good news to say about a fix..But I'm NOT hopeful..I do not believe the VOOM engineers are taking the DC complaints seriously at all..If they had, then they would back out of it and test before re-deployment..Bad practice..

Unhappy VOOMer.. :mad:

Roy

riffjim4069 said:
Just a quick look this morning and the DC area S-DMA appears to have been worked on last night: no lockup, no more out-of-sequence channels, not having a problem hiding/unhiding channels. Didn't have to reboot the receivers this morning...new PG appears to have been pushed last night. So far, so good! Appreciate VOOM/Moto engineers working on this problem. How is everyone else doing this am?

I've noticed an improvement already this morning. Now have program info for my locals again, which had been missing, and channel surfing seems to be working okay.

Only minor issue I still see is when using the guide, sometimes I only get the channel number and not the name. Only time will tell if the STB has stopped locking up, but so far so good.

Great to see the engineers still resolving issues despite these uncertain times.

I'm also from the DC area and have had repeated lock ups on all 4 of my STBs in the last couple of days. My kids are very annoyed at this point and of course it's my fault for switching from E* (which they loved). I really like what Voom has to offer but my patience is growing thin. If anyone comes up with a solution, please let me know.

I just had voom installed Friday in Alexandria, VA (just outside DC). I am having the same issues as described and was upset when I saw how poor it worked. Glad to hear it's not typical performance.

ARGH!! Same thing is happening to me on all 6 receivers. My wife is pushing to change services. I am in the same boat where it's my fault for changing to voom in the first place. I sure hope they come up wit a fix quick.

I see this issue on one receiver and not the other.
Both are using the same software.

Not sure if SuperDMA is being used on both boxes. How can you tell?

I wonder if this only happens to those with multiple receivers. I had a similar issue back on my old E* equipment. It had something to do with multiple receivers trying to talk to the switch. It would lock up the receiver/switch with a stuck image or pink screen, with no exit but to reboot.

I'm in the Dallas area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts