Help/Suggestions?

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there...I am now very seriously looking/researching for LCD tvs for my basement since I just have to carpet and paint now.

I am on the fence for Sony..LG..Magnavox..Sharp and Toshiba. I am looking for at least a 42 incher with 1080p. As for the Sony..its gonna be the V series. Dont think I could afford the XBR series.

Could any one offer insights as to why I should pick 1 or the other?? Comments and suggestions appreciated. You can tell it like it is if you wish. I have seen the tv's but Im just still out on the fence. This setup is gonna be on a stand..not doing the wall thing.

If you must know...the finished basement living room is gonna be 16x25 and the tv is gonna be on the long wall..this making the sofa to tv about 10 feet or so away. The 42 incher will make it BIG in that room.

Anyways...suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

Agreed, equal quality for less money over all. Size can be managed from as small as your 42" and upward to 96" or more if you find the need to grow. All without spending any more money. They are also very easy to become portable and generally take up even less overall space.

Ok...projectors..hmm thats an interesting idea. I have a couple of questions about it tho...If I decide to go down that avenue..what is the normal or usual cost for lamp bulb replacement? I plan to watch tv a WHOLE LOT while we are down there. Not just for movies and "specials". Also...does projector support closed captioning? Closed captioning is the ABSOLUTE deal breaker. If it dont..I aint getting it. Also..I am looking for something that can do 1080p. What are the GOOD ones that I should be looking at? I will also be doing HDTV through my satellite company. Please help steer me in the right direction as I know almost nothing about projectors. Thanks!

Just so you know there are no companies broadcasting in 1080p right now. And there probably won't be for quite awhile. The only content that you'll see in 1080p is BluRay and HDDVD.

Don't the set-top boxes/receivers handle the closed captions?

Not sure of YOUR price point, but I would look at these to start with IMHO; in no special order:

1. Sanyo PLV-Z5/Z4
2. Panasonic PT-AX100U
3. Panasonic PT-AE1000U
4. Optoma HD73/72
5. BenQ PE8720
6. Mitsubishi HD1000U

There is a huge post I did a while back about the overall cost of say a 7 year use of a projector vs a "flat screen TV". Lamps can be $250 - $350 depending on where you buy and the projector you choose. So research what make & model first. Base your estimates on say 1700 hours of use per each new lamp (I have gone way past this before needing a new lamp). I great trick to be ready for a new lamp; start with 2 - one in use and one in the closet. Each day you turn it on, put $1 in a jar in the kitchen. When the in use lamp goes out, use the backup in the closet and use the jar money to buy another backup. Then start all over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts