• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N-Tence

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dayton Ohio
Hi all,

I've been reading and following this forum for a couple months now and enjoy the insight that I have received so far.

We have never had satellite but want to give it a go. I've compared Direct and Dish and from a Technology and Price stand point Dish seems like the winner. We are looking to have a 6 room setup. 4 - 4K Joey's for the bedrooms and I'd like 2 - Hopper 3's. (Living Area and Man Cave). From what I've gathered from reading on here it is possible to have 2 Hopper 3's but every time I've talked to Dish they have said no.

I've seen a few posts on here and they mention to call until you get someone willing or buying it yourself. I'm willing to buy from Dish but they wont take that as an option. I've seen the Hopper 3 for sale on several sites but from an install point, I have no clue what I would be doing and from an activation stand point I don't want any additional headaches.

Is there a simple solution to have this accomplished? I'm willing to pay Dish but for whatever reason they don't want my money.

Thanks,

Last edited:
You have to purchase the 2nd hopper 3 yourself and inform them that you will have it when the tech arrives so they can bring the other needed components.
They won't set you up with two but they will install two.

Reactions: JSheridan
My understanding is that DISH will not provide (lease or sell) a 2nd H3.
You have to purchase the 2nd H3 from outside source (dishdepot.com, etc).
Then have DISH install the system,
Including your seperately purchased DISH.
Some people people have used non-dish-corporate dish installers (local 'dish' companies to facilitate non-customary installations.

Thanks for the reply.

So its as simple as buying the Hopper 3 from a place like DishDepot.

Call Dish and place an order of a Hopper 3 and 4-4K Joeys but tell them I want a second Hopper 3 installed that I've already purchased and they will take care of everything at install without issue?

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's input.

From looking/reading this forum I'm under the impression that a "42 switch" is needed for a 2-Hopper 3 system. Is this something that all installers bring or do I need to buy that in addition to the Hopper 3 as well? I just want to make sure I don't run into any issues.

Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for everyone's input.

From looking/reading this forum I'm under the impression that a "42 switch" is needed for a 2-Hopper 3 system. Is this something that all installers bring or do I need to buy that in addition to the Hopper 3 as well? I just want to make sure I don't run into any issues.

Thanks!
I bought my own DPH42 switch and kept the one the installer gave me for a spare. That way if the technician doesn't have one you can press on with the install. Just make sure the technician promises to bring another DPH42 switch to you when he gets done.

I have two leased Hoppers with Sling coupled by a Duo node and want to upgrade to a two H3 system. Do you think Dish would allow an upgrade by sending me two replacements? What if I buy the DPH42 and upgrade each of my Hw/sling one at a time? My understanding the price increase for the receiver is $3/month per each Hopper. Thanks for your thoughts.

Or that Hopper 3's have been on acquisition in the past and they want to cut back on how many they install. I can tell you, I've installed 1 Hopper 3 in the last 3 weeks and 4 Hopper 2's with Super Joeys

If I ever drink that koolaid, I’d be inclined toward two, for redundancy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)