Help, why am I paying more for less than my neighbor?

ntechnic

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Hey everyone,

I've been a Dish customer for more than 8 years without interruption. For some reason, my neighbor has the same number and type of receivers as I do, but more programming and he pays less than I do! He's got AEP and I don't.

OK, I have two 622's and one 510D receivers. And here's my bill:
dishcharge.jpg

Is there some promo or combo of services I'm missing? I really want AEP but due to finances in this economy I absolutely CAN'T pay more than I am now.

Any tips? Thanks!

Switch to Classic silver 200 WITH locals & dvr for 57.99. That will cover the 622 dvr fee , the $3.00 dvr credit will vanish anyway come January because the dvr advantage pack has been discontinued. Then drop the DISH home protection plan- you can add and drop it as needed just for replacing bad receivers etc- Save 5.99 a month. I don't know what premiums you have but you can get HD + platinum pack for 10.00 now if you ask for it, used to be 20.00 for both. It won't be a premium pack any longer though. If you have HBO you will be charged for the full price of the pack unless you have two premium movie packs then it will be only 22.00 a month. Consider dropping the 510 dvr off of your bill and you would save 10.00 a month. Just use the two 622 dvrs and you would cover 4 tvs right there. IF you need 5 consider using a splitter and share tv 2 of one of your 622 dvrs to two different tvs and use a uhf remote to use it on that 5 th tv. So you bill , if you drop the 510 dvr ,go with the classic silver with dvr/local bundle , drop the insurance, your bill would be:

57.99 Classic silver 200 with dvr /locals
22.00 2 premium movie packs
10.00 HD + Plat pack
12.00 hd dual tuner dvr
--------------------------------------
101.99 before taxes

Is your neighbor a new customer ? If so, his monthly rate doesn't count in regards to comparing it against yours. Wait until his promotions drop off and then compare.

Also, have you seen their bill or is this a case of the neighbor saying "I'm paying about 'x' per month" ?

With multiple dvr's, AEP really pays off. I'd followed the 'drop the platinum threads but this thread finally prompted me to get off my butt and call to change my services.

With an owned 510 and a leased 722

Before: Gold 250, locals, HBO, CMX, gold & platinum HD, and dvr charges $121.95

After: AEP, locals, HD, solo dvr 117.98

More channels for 4 bucks less each month! That more than pays for my pub membership:up.

Hey everyone,

I've been a Dish customer for more than 8 years without interruption. For some reason, my neighbor has the same number and type of receivers as I do, but more programming and he pays less than I do! He's got AEP and I don't.

OK, I have two 622's and one 510D receivers. And here's my bill:
dishcharge.jpg

Is there some promo or combo of services I'm missing? I really want AEP but due to finances in this economy I absolutely CAN'T pay more than I am now.

Any tips? Thanks!
AEP would cost you,
$102.99
HD $10 includes Platinum
2/3 additional HD/dvr receiver $14
Protection Plan. $5.99
$132.98 + what ever your tax is.

Thanks guys. Something interesting, I called CS and spoke with CSR. I asked them to "What If" me on pricing for AEP and same receivers that I have now. Got a price and it's about $10 more as stated in a reply above.

Then I called back later with another what if (upgrading the solo receiver to a duo receiver + AEP) and got DIFFERENT pricing on the package. Only about $5 more than I pay now even with the solo DVR upgrade.

????

Pricing that changes? So I'm going to call tomorrow and ask an open ended question, "How can I upgrade to AEP w/HD and keep the pricing as close to what I pay now as possible?"

Wonder if I'll get a 3rd pricing quote?

Oh, and yes, my neighbor shared his actual bill with me. He has two 622's and a solo DVR like I do. But I don't know how long he's been with Dish, so I'll have to ask.

I called CS and spoke with CSR. I asked them to "What If" me on pricing for AEP and same receivers that I have now. Got a price and it's about $10 more as stated in a reply above.

I would be cautious about such a tactic. We've heard quite a few stories that demonstrate the CSRs are often misinformed or just ignorant of how to properly determine a price for you beforehand.

You would be better off using the online chat to talk with a CSR since you can then keep the transcript and use it if you find out later that you don't get what you thought you were going to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)