Help with a 500+

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bonefishr

Original poster
Aug 9, 2022
USA
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, not finding the thread I need. I suppose I've installed 4-5 new dishes and LNBs over the years, never a problem. My current set up is a 500+ with 3 lnb's and 2 VIP 211z receivers. Been working for 4-6 years. When first installed I had all the locals and HD channels and Check Switch at that time showed locks on 119 port 1, 110 port 2, and 129 port 3. I lost the locals and HD around 3 years ago. Now all I get is SD and just a few in HD and no locals. Been too lazy to crawl up on the roof.

I'm tired of watching blurred SD and recently I decided to buy a new 1002.2 Hybrid and get on the roof and get the HD working. I bought the new dish, turns out that only works with the Hopper.....useless. I'm not interested in recording anything or buying a Hopper. The 211's work good enough. So.....I'll try to zero the 500+ back in but can seem to find 129. I can get good locks on 119 and 110 but no 129. A couple hurricanes have blown though over the years and must have moved it, I guess.

I have a signal on 119 and 110, zero on 129. I run Check Switch and get a firm warning that I have fewer Sats than before and saving the results could cause loss of channels. I assume the 129 is missing and don't save results for fear of screwing it up completely.

So....A few questions....Will I lose what I got by saving the switch results? I think not, it'll probably show 119, 110, and no 129 but I want someone to tell me it's OK to save results. It would probably be helpful to know what sats are on what ports before you can tell me whether to move the dish east or west to find 129. Maybe I've got a blown lnb on the 129 side???? If so, could someone tell me the LNB part number or name so I get the right one?

Thanks in advance

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, not finding the thread I need. I suppose I've installed 4-5 new dishes and LNBs over the years, never a problem. My current set up is a 500+ with 3 lnb's and 2 VIP 211z receivers. Been working for 4-6 years. When first installed I had all the locals and HD channels and Check Switch at that time showed locks on 119 port 1, 110 port 2, and 129 port 3. I lost the locals and HD around 3 years ago. Now all I get is SD and just a few in HD and no locals. Been too lazy to crawl up on the roof.

I'm tired of watching blurred SD and recently I decided to buy a new 1002.2 Hybrid and get on the roof and get the HD working. I bought the new dish, turns out that only works with the Hopper.....useless. I'm not interested in recording anything or buying a Hopper. The 211's work good enough. So.....I'll try to zero the 500+ back in but can seem to find 129. I can get good locks on 119 and 110 but no 129. A couple hurricanes have blown though over the years and must have moved it, I guess.

I have a signal on 119 and 110, zero on 129. I run Check Switch and get a firm warning that I have fewer Sats than before and saving the results could cause loss of channels. I assume the 129 is missing and don't save results for fear of screwing it up completely.

So....A few questions....Will I lose what I got by saving the switch results? I think not, it'll probably show 119, 110, and no 129 but I want someone to tell me it's OK to save results. It would probably be helpful to know what sats are on what ports before you can tell me whether to move the dish east or west to find 129. Maybe I've got a blown lnb on the 129 side???? If so, could someone tell me the LNB part number or name so I get the right one?

Thanks in advance
So the first question is other trees that have grown up to the point that they’re blocking the 129 satellite which would be when you’re standing behind the dish the furthest to the west and the lowest in the sky.

The second question is that by 500+, that’s an international dish and the 129 is on the little single LNB which may have gone bad.

Third, you can save the check switch, all it will do is allow the receiver to stop looking for the 129 but you’ll lose any HD channels, which you’re not receiving right now anyway

The second question is that by 500+, that’s an international dish...
I'm assuming it is not actually a 500+, since there was no mention of the 118.7 satellite in the Check Switch results. Either that, or Bonefishr also has some kind of external switch connected to that dish, with no cable running from the 118.7 output to that switch.

No palm trees, cut them down myself. Clear LOS.

I do recall having a lock on all required Sats back then. The third Sat was probably the 118.7.

Invoice says - DISH 500+ With NEW Integrated 119\c 118.7 110 LNBF, bought it in 2014 from Dish Depot in FL. The owner retired and closed up shop. Ran a great business. Man, time flies, I'll be dead soon. So it is an international version. Let's just say I'm on an island just slightly out-of-bounds on the perimeter of a spot beam for locals.

Recently I was trying to figure out where my HD went and read something about a 129 Sat that carries the HD. I ran a check switch test and there 129 was on port 3 but no signal. Must have picked it up after a power outage reset or something. I did run another check and saved results per Hipcat's advice. 119 port 1, 110 port 2, nothing on port 3.

I suppose DISH launched a new 129 SAT about the time I lost locals and HD and I didn't get the memo. Is the 118.7 still there? Is it still used? Regardless, it appears I have issues. What's the fix? I'd prefer to get the 500+ working. Blow some money on two new hoppers and use the new 1000.2 hybrid? They still using the authorization cards in the Hopper? Will the cards in my 211's work? Yeah.....I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Invoice says - DISH 500+ With NEW Integrated 119\c 118.7 110 LNBF
That LNBF has an input port that can be used to add a fourth satellite (usually 129). There is an upgrade kit that comes with the arm to attach the single Dish Pro LNB for the 129 satellite. You run a short cable from that add-on LNB to the input port on your 500+ LNB. That would upgrade your dish to a 1000+.

Is the 118.7 still there? Is it still used?
118.7 is still there, and is still being used for international channels, for at least a couple more years. If you are unable to get the signal, it may be due to you being too far outside the beam. Otherwise, your dish may be slightly warped from the hurricanes that passed through. 118.7 requires a bigger reflector to tune it in, due to the 118.7 signal being weaker to begin with. So, the slightest thing could throw that off, while not affecting the other satellites as much.

Blow some money on two new hoppers and use the new 1000.2 hybrid?
I'm pretty sure the Hybrid LNB would also work with Wally, if you wanted something more similar to your current 211's.

They still using the authorization cards in the Hopper? Will the cards in my 211's work?
The cards from your 211's cannot be transferred to any other receiver. Each replacement receiver (if one is needed) would come with its own card.

Now, the question is to Bonefisr, are you actually using 118 for international channels? If not that 1000.2 hybrid will work for your 211s as long as the LNB doesn't see a hub.
True. My only concern would be the smaller reflector of the 1000.2 dish. Since the location was described as "on the perimeter of a spot beam for locals," the larger reflector of the 1000+ dish may help that signal stay locked longer. It may even be advisable to upgrade to an even larger dish, to try to peak the signal strength as much as possible. I seem to remember some members have had luck mixing and matching a 1000.2 LNB with a 1000.4 reflector. I'm not sure if anyone has had any better luck using a 1000.2 LNB with the 500+/1000+ reflector though. The last I heard about that experiment is when people were trying to cobble together what had been dubbed here as a "1000.5" dish.

The mod to use a 1000.2 LNB on a 1000.4 dish is a simple 2 minute fix using a utility knife. Just cut the center plastic tab off the adapter. If you're swapping LNB's on an already aimed dish, it will need a bit of re-aiming to dial it in.

Before:
1K4-adapter.jpg

After:
1K4-adapter-mod.jpg

The mod to use a 1000.2 LNB on a 1000.4 dish is a simple 2 minute fix using a utility knife. Just cut the center plastic tab off the adapter.
Thanks! Do you happen to know if the same trick will work on the 500+ adapter? My 1000+ dish is the older model, which uses separate single LNB's for both 110 and 129, through an external switch. Also, my dish is up on the roof. So, for both of those reasons, I can't check my own dish to see if that trick would help the OP.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks! Do you happen to know if the same trick will work on the 500+ adapter? My 1000+ dish is the older model, which uses separate single LNB's for both 110 and 129, through an external switch. Also, my dish is up on the roof. So, for both of those reasons, I can't check my own dish to see if that trick would help the OP.
Sorry, I can't help you with that since I haven't tried it...

The mod to use a 1000.2 LNB on a 1000.4 dish is a simple 2 minute fix using a utility knife. Just cut the center plastic tab off the adapter. If you're swapping LNB's on an already aimed dish, it will need a bit of re-aiming to dial it in.

Before:
View attachment 157924

After:
View attachment 157925
It occurs to me that I should have mentioned the mod works for DPP and standard DPH LNB's, but not the 1000.2 Slimline DPH LNB that uses an entirely different adapter.

That LNBF has an input port that can be used to add a fourth satellite (usually 129). There is an upgrade kit that comes with the arm to attach the single Dish Pro LNB for the 129 satellite. You run a short cable from that add-on LNB to the input port on your 500+ LNB. That would upgrade your dish to a 1000+.
Googling " Dish Pro LNB for129 Satellite" gets very few results and all used. The one with a bracket I did find on Ebay looked like it was pulled from a junk yard. Oddly Googling any Dish components to buy doesn't cough up much. You'd think for all the advertising they do their products would be everywhere and easy to purchase. The 1000.2 I bought on Amazon has an LNB that doesn't look like anything I've seen on the web, I think it's a knock-off. Is there a one-stop-shop for all things Dish that carry new products and not knocked off?
IMG_0710.jpg

I have several old dishes. Couldn't I put that single 129 LNB on another dish and run a cable to the 500+ LNB? Seems like work and cobbled mess though.
118.7 is still there, and is still being used for international channels, for at least a couple more years. If you are unable to get the signal, it may be due to you being too far outside the beam. Otherwise, your dish may be slightly warped from the hurricanes that passed through. 118.7 requires a bigger reflector to tune it in, due to the 118.7 signal being weaker to begin with. So, the slightest thing could throw that off, while not affecting the other satellites as much.
When I set up the 500+ the 118 was the most difficult signal to capture and the best I could do was half the signal strength of 110 and 119. It's touchy and hard to lock on. I was on the roof last week......can't get a whiff of the 118.
I'm pretty sure the Hybrid LNB would also work with Wally, if you wanted something more similar to your current 211's.
I've had to relearn all the DISH products, I didn't know what a Wally or Joey is. The Wally appears to be a receiver without all the bells and whistles of the Hopper at a fraction of the price. I'm fine with that. The Joey won't work, internet is glitchy here and data is expensive.

I'm the thinking the simplest solution is to use the 1000.2 and get a couple Wally's. But...the company I bought the 1000.3 Hybrid tells me "Keep in mind this dish version you purchase is ONLY for the new hopper." Is that correct or are you sure the Wally will work also?

You did mention concern about the 1000.2 having a smaller reflector. FWIW it's the same size as my 500+.

The cards from your 211's cannot be transferred to any other receiver. Each replacement receiver (if one is needed) would come with its own card.

Googling " Dish Pro LNB for129 Satellite" gets very few results and all used. The one with a bracket I did find on Ebay looked like it was pulled from a junk yard. Oddly Googling any Dish components to buy doesn't cough up much. You'd think for all the advertising they do their products would be everywhere and easy to purchase. The 1000.2 I bought on Amazon has an LNB that doesn't look like anything I've seen on the web, I think it's a knock-off. Is there a one-stop-shop for all things Dish that carry new products and not knocked off?
View attachment 157943

I have several old dishes. Couldn't I put that single 129 LNB on another dish and run a cable to the 500+ LNB? Seems like work and cobbled mess though.

When I set up the 500+ the 118 was the most difficult signal to capture and the best I could do was half the signal strength of 110 and 119. It's touchy and hard to lock on. I was on the roof last week......can't get a whiff of the 118.

I've had to relearn all the DISH products, I didn't know what a Wally or Joey is. The Wally appears to be a receiver without all the bells and whistles of the Hopper at a fraction of the price. I'm fine with that. The Joey won't work, internet is glitchy here and data is expensive.

I'm the thinking the simplest solution is to use the 1000.2 and get a couple Wally's. But...the company I bought the 1000.3 Hybrid tells me "Keep in mind this dish version you purchase is ONLY for the new hopper." Is that correct or are you sure the Wally will work also?

You did mention concern about the 1000.2 having a smaller reflector. FWIW it's the same size as my 500+.
The western arc LNB pictured is the newer Dish "Slimline" hybrid version used on the 1000.2 dish.

Googling " Dish Pro LNB for129 Satellite" gets very few results and all used. The one with a bracket I did find on Ebay looked like it was pulled from a junk yard. Oddly Googling any Dish components to buy doesn't cough up much.
I think I found the parts you would need to upgrade your dish from a 500+ to a 1000+. I found the bracket on Ebay. However, it looked like Ebay had a bunch of legacy LNB's or complete dishes that included the Dish Pro LNB, but not that LNB by itself. I ended up searching for it on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B005WAK7LUView: https://www.amazon.com/Dish-Network-Pro-Single-LNBF/dp/B005WAK7LU/ref=sr_1_26?crid=1WGYRN5RUMF06&keywords=dish+pro+single+lnb&qid=1660253011&sprefix=dish+pro+single+lnb%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-26

I have several old dishes. Couldn't I put that single 129 LNB on another dish and run a cable to the 500+ LNB?
Yes, you could. Others here have had luck doing exactly that, due to line of sight issues for 129 where their main dish was located.

But...the company I bought the 1000.3 Hybrid tells me "Keep in mind this dish version you purchase is ONLY for the new hopper." Is that correct or are you sure the Wally will work also?
I'm not really sure about the LNB since I use a DPH42 switch. I do know that having both a Hopper 3 and a Wally connected to that switch at the same time works. So, since Wally will work with a Hybrid switch, I assume it would also work with a Hybrid LNB as long as there is not a Hopper 3 also attached to that LNB.

charlesrshell had a chart of the various dish sizes at one point. The 500+ and 1000+ use the exact same reflector, which is the largest reflector typically used for Dish installations. All of the other standard Dish models are smaller than that. The 1000.4 is the next size down, and the 1000.2 is even smaller than the 1000.4 reflector.

charlesrshell had a chart of the various dish sizes at one point. The 500+ and 1000+ use the exact same reflector, which is the largest reflector typically used for Dish installations. All of the other standard Dish models are smaller than that. The 1000.4 is the next size down, and the 1000.2 is even smaller than the 1000.4 reflector.
Here is the chart I made for reflector sizes. I think it is still accurate.

Attachments

• Dish Reflector Size.pdf
    202.9 KB · Views: 123
I'm not really sure about the LNB since I use a DPH42 switch. I do know that having both a Hopper 3 and a Wally connected to that switch at the same time works. So, since Wally will work with a Hybrid switch, I assume it would also work with a Hybrid LNB as long as there is not a Hopper 3 also attached to that LNB.
Here it is! Confirmed!
The Wally will work with a hybrid LNBF. Connect the coax to port 1.
So, are you saying that the Hybrid LNBF will only work with one Wally, or simply that if you only have one Wally then it must be connected to port 1? I'm just asking since Bonefishr is considering getting two of them.

Here it is! Confirmed!

So, are you saying that the Hybrid LNBF will only work with one Wally, or simply that if you only have one Wally then it must be connected to port 1? I'm just asking since Bonefishr is considering getting two of them.
2 Wally's on a hybrid LNB would require a channel stack splitter.

2 Wally's on a hybrid LNB would require a channel stack splitter.
Yep, Hybrid receivers (HoppDuo, H3, Wally) disable port 2 on a Hybrid LNBF. Channel stack splitters to split port one out or a DPP LNBF would be better if the OP does not want to future-proof/upgrade to a Hopper latter. Given he already has a Hybrid slimline a channel stack splitter would be the way to go, here are some links to some.

4-way Amazon View: Amazon product ASIN B092Y8BWS3View: https://www.amazon.com/Dish-Channel-Stack-4-Way-Splitter/dp/B092Y8BWS3
4-way dishformyrv DISH Channel Stack 4-Way Splitter
2-way solidsignal DISH 2-Way Stackable Commercial Splitter for DPH42 Switch (ES009714)

The most optimal would be to use a 2-way if only two Wally's are wanted, only issue is that the only one I found was on solidsignal, which tends to have outrageous shipping fees since they use UPS exclusively. So unless you are buying more items from SS to make the shipping more reasonable, I would just get a 4-way splitter and add terminators to the unused ports

For 118 satellite you need a min 30" diameter dish, like a 1000+ not sure if a 500+ is just the same reflector as 1000+ which just used a bracket and a single lnb for 129 I had a 1000+ but later I upgrade to H3 I got a new 1000.2 with Hybrid LNB. I do my own installs and dish alignment. I have a AI XR-3 Meter

Okay, so it sounds like some other options are:
  • Use the Hybrid LNB (assuming Bonefishr also has the correct bracket for mounting a Slimline Hybrid LNB) and continue using the ViP211z's, since that receiver model would not disable the second output from the LNB.
  • Continue to use the 500+ dish (after upgrading it to a 1000+ dish by adding the 129 LNB) and add a DPH42 switch to be able to support two Wally and/or future-proof the system for an upgrade to a Hopper system later.
  • Same as the last option, but simply use the switch that is built-into the 500+ LNB, which should also be able to support either two Wally or two ViP211z's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)