Help with Dish Service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jcain1212

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Indiana
I just recently moved into an apartment complex that has a contract with a Dish Network Provider. (not happy to find that I have no choice) I requested a couple of single tuner HD receivers and a DVR. I got the 2 receivers (VIP 211's) and the DVR (external hard drive). I am a guy that is used to dual tuner DVR's from DirecTV (I had the first HD DVR Tivo with DirecTV several years ago), and am quite frankly unhappy with my service from this provider, and their outdated equipment. What are my options? Thanks for anyone's help!

Dish has a four tuner (2 sat, 2 0TA TUNER)...The 722K. Sounds like lack of research on your part.

Thanks KAB. Are you always this helpful? I am new to the forum and have never been faced with this situation, can you be a little more specific and less of a AH? I stated that I am with a new provider. They provide me with the equipment that is sub-standard, in my opinion. I know what the latest equipment is. How do I go about getting it, and it working for me, in my situation? Let me know, if you are confused about what I am facing, before you attempt to insult me. Unless, this is just what you do. This is my research.

They provided you with equipment that does not appear to meet your needs. Cheap equipment. If you are willing to pay more, try to get them to provide you with a ViP722 or ViP722K. You'll have to talk with whoever provided you with the equipment. If you can swap out, I think you'll come to appreciate the Dish equipment. You may need to be somewhat forceful. And yes, it would have been better in the beginning to have explored all your options and not just what someone thought you wanted.

Alternatively, and for slightly less money actually, you might be a good candidate for a 1 Hopper & 1 Joey setup. But a lot depends upon what your building's installation can support.

Thanks navychop. I was under the assumption (I take respondsibility for that) that I had to accept what equipment they offere to fulfill my needs. I get the feeling that I am being railroaded with bs service and old equipment. I get the sense from you that this is the case. Yes?

Are companies like this, directly responsible to Dish to make customers happy? Seems like a situation where the company is in conjuction with the apartment complex and someone is getting a kickback on the side. It stinks...and the rates are higher than what Dish offers on their site.

The 211K is current equipment adding an External hard drive can make it a DVR so they have fulfilled what you requested. If you want better equipment you will have to pay for upgraded equipment, you will also need to see what the complex is capable of supporting. if you signed a contract with the apartment complex to subscribe to DISH through them you agreed to the limitations and prices they have. Whose fault is it that you didn't investigate what you were agreeing to?

The upside to having 2 211s is that you can watch both TVs in HD while the 722(k) supports 1 HD TV and 1 SD TV. In addition, you can still have DVRs on both TVs if wanted (with that $40 one-time fee instead of a monthly fee [currently $6/mo] and external hard drives for both).

All apartment restrictions aside, you will want to decide which is more important to you, having HD at both TVs (your two 211s), or having a single DVR that can be accessed and managed from both TV locations (1 TV in HD, 1 TV in SD...the 722k)

boba said:
The 211K is current equipment adding an External hard drive can make it a DVR so they have fulfilled what you requested. If you want better equipment you will have to pay for upgraded equipment, you will also need to see what the complex is capable of supporting. if you signed a contract with the apartment complex to subscribe to DISH through them you agreed to the limitations and prices they have. Whose fault is it that you didn't investigate what you were agreeing to?

I disagree with your statement that the op received the equipment he asked for. He asked for a dvr, true the 211k can be turned into a dvr for a 40$ fee and the purchase of an ehd ($80 or so), but its not really a dvr. If I asked dish for a dvr and they said here is a receiver no go buy a hdd and pay 40$ I would be pissed.
I think the entire issue boils down to what the agreement between the apartment management and the provider is and the fact that the OP should have asked a few more questions.
Personally I wouldn't want to live somewhere that only allowed a specific tv provider, etc. But of course that is just me no judgement on anyone else.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I can't tell if he got what he asked for or not, but it's clear the OP didn't let Dish decide based on his needs, but rather told them what he wanted. He didn't even know about a 722K or perhaps a 612. I see this all the time, people don't look at the Dish website, read about the receivers or go through the process and see what the website recommends, or if they know about these forums don't come here first. Instead he posts about outdated equipment, which by the way the 211K is a very good receiver, and with an EHD a good value.

The welcome committee is out in full force. Right or wrong it ain't no wonder people just briefly visit never to return again.

This comes to mind when referring to the dish sargent.....a.k.a. KAB :rolleyes:

drill_sergeant.jpg

I remember KAB's welcoming presence when I first arrived asking for advice and options for upgrading to an HD receiver. Needless to say he didn't scare me away, and I'm here to stay. Now you all have to suffer me. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)